Wolves (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Vital three points - attacking tempo was good in the first half but seemed to stutter in the second half with the changes.

Made good use of underlapping opportunities. Any team now adopting the 541/532 defensive shape against us are going to be incredibly hard to break down, especially as we're still not completely up to speed with attacking play & players adapting to new roles.

One note is Wolves would look to force play wide and collapse on the ball in numbers. Particularly a clear doubling up on the winger. Gomes overdid this on the Gvardiol goal (basically created a two man wall against Doku) and left him the space to shift the ball for a shot - worth keeping an eye on if we can exploit this more often.

We really, really need to stop conceding cheap goals. It's going to hurt us and has been a common theme from the start of last season. Rico never got back in goal side of Larsen and the goal stems back to a stupid header from Dias, he had an age to bring the ball down. It's simply not sustainable to keep going behind or win games 2-1 & 3-2 etc.

I sometimes feel with the run of success that turning up to these games fully on it must be difficult, but it remains hugely frustrating all the same.

Brilliant use of the higher bar for contact with the goalkeeper on the corner to pin him to the goal line. This is one of the fundamentals behind Arsenal's corner success, if you can pin the keeper into the goal line, then a ball along the six yard line is simple to convert.

It's more nuanced in terms of screening defenders etc, but pinning the keeper is key. We tried this last season by putting the ball closer to the goal (Ake away at Spurs in the FA Cup), but the six yard line definitely works best.

I think this is why I’d experiment with josko playing the rodders role when ake comes back. He’s got a good shot on him which is what we need from outside the box. We are missing KDB to mix up our play to be fair. Those daisy cutting passes like the one wolves scored from have been missed.
That is the confusion with leaving Foden out, he can be that playmaker, a midfield three of Bernardo Kovacic and Gundog isn't littered with creativity.

He has found a way, and it's why we have broken all records.
Well a lot of records broken have been playing a better, more exiting way some would argue. Us winning on Sunday will be us finding a way, I would argue it was poor we needed to score in the 95th minute against the worst team in the league currently. Interestingly it was from a corner and a different approach in the sense of ball in and on someones head. Points on the board is all that matters currently, but I would say falling behind more often than not and scraping single goal wins isn't sustainable.

yes i know you cant be offside from a corner, thanks though. I was replying to someone who suggested Bernie was offside once the ball was further away from the goal than him, in the air. which can't be right.
Not offside. In an offside position.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.