Wolves (A) | Post Match Thread

Just a theory I'd like to test out on you. Last night, I watched the match on French television. They did a little piece before the match as to whether ‘neutrals’ wanted City or Liverpool to win the league. They did brief, very superficial, interviews with people, in what appeared to be some sort of café, in London, I would have said, going on the accents. The majority opted for Liverpool. In Europe, by the way, Liverpool are loved by anyone who hasn't had to actually deal with them. That's been my experience. French journalists, and I suspect Spanish, Italian, German ones, have no idea whatsoever that “You'll never walk alone” was not originally a Liverpool song, and certainly wasn't exclusively their song through the sixties.
Here's the thing. My firm conviction is that, among people who don't support a follow a football club in England, who just sort of watch the game casually, on tv, who don't have any deep knowledge of the game, and certainly no real knowledge of its more-than-a-hundred-year old history, a majority like Liverpool and generally want them to win both in Europe and England. Without being aware of it, they've bought into the relentless bigging up of good old LFC by the press and media, along with how tragic Hillsborough was (without there ever – and I mean ever – being any mention of Heysel by that same press and media). I've got a friend who answers exactly to that description. He doesn't attend matches and isn't really what I would call a football fan. As I say, he just casually watches matches on a screen from time to time. He says he likes Liverpool, with no particular explanation. He's never been anywhere near Anfield, of course, or even set foot in the city of Liverpool, as far as I know. He's certainly never had to walk across Stanley Park as an opposing supporter at 5 pm after full time, watching his back like a hawk for a brick being hurled into it.
But my equally firm conviction is that amongst proper supporters of other clubs there is an almost universal hatred for Liverpool, because they've had actual contact with Liverpool fans and have had direct experience of what they're like. We're obviously resented among many of those fans, we know why, although many will concede that the older City fans they've met are sound; but there's a special and unique level of hatred for LFC. I don't have a single mate who actually knows his football, whichever club he supports, who doesn't intensely dislike Liverpool. And I don't think they're saying it for my benefit.

most Wolves fans are died in the wool like yours, but I think most Wolves fans like fans all over, have a soft spot for City. On our table of 18 in the pub before the game 16 wanted City to win the League. I think the other 2 were probably Jonny-come-lately-Wolves fans who were probably singing “Where were you when you were shit” not realising that it probably applies to them. But I bet this % is a fair representation of the British footballing world, in terms of praying City win the League.

It's off topic, strictly speaking, but since it seems to me relevant to what you've just posted, I'm quoting what I just posted in another thread.

I think we can agree Raheems finishing wasn't great last night. But he always makes great runs.
He scored one, had one disallowed, missed a couple of chances too. I would be more worried if he wasnt getting in the position to try to score, but he does time after time because his football intelligence and movement are top class.

Exactly - it’s just a bit of banter - shit banter but it’s still banter.

We sang it against Chelsea in 2004/2005 even tho we all know they’ve always had good numbers over the years.
Gotta admit that I hate it when its sung to us I mean 30,000+ at Maine Rd in division 2+3 is proof of it,but then I look at the fact that we now must be good or else they wouldn't sing it..

A double edged sword so to speak.

Gotta admit that I hate it when its sung to us I mean 30,000+ at Maine Rd in division 2+3 is proof of it,but then I look at the fact that we now must be good or else they wouldn't sing it..

A double edged sword so to speak.
There’s loads of standard songs that get sang these days that aren’t always true. Everyone gets your support is fucking shit and we were signing your fucking shit to wolves the other night when they’re clearly not.

I wouldn’t let it affect you

Not at all. At this stage and with this pressure, it’s all about increasing the trust and bond between the relatively small group of players who have got us to the cusp. Even bringing on Grealish and Ake strengthens that bond and means that they feel even more part of what is happening.
We put Rodri back into defence when the game was pretty much wrapped up, what is the point of having them on the bench if there's literally zero chance of them ever coming on? It was a perfect chance to see Mbete in real mens football.

We put Rodri back into defence when the game was pretty much wrapped up, what is the point of having them on the bench if there's literally zero chance of them ever coming on? It was a perfect chance to see Mbete in real mens football.
One could say the same about bringing on Palmer instead of Mahrez. I’m not opposed to playing more of the youngsters and hope they get their chance, but I also appreciate that Guardiola will rely on the established core now even if it means playing them out of position.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.