Wolves PL (A) | Post Match Discussion

Disappointing lacklustre showing yesterday, thought when we equalised we would kick on but no, the same issues we'd been having all match continued and led to their 2nd goal...too much pace for us on the break down Ake's side.
People going in hard on Alvarez, amongst others, for not being great and that is fair enough however, Julian can play poorly but still tends to come up with something, like the free kick yesterday...the others are not.
Two pretty limp performances in a week.
Still annoyed at Rodri for getting sent off, what is even more annoying is the fact his bust up last Saturday should have been stopped by a City player coming across to intervene but nobody did...Dias, Walker et al just let him stand there getting angrier and angrier for about 15 seconds...someone should have ran across and pulled him away straight away.
Hope Bernardo and Stones are back asap.

It's just a defeat. Hey ho. I remember losing last season too.....

Anyway, I understand the concern at the manner of defeat, that is what tends to annoy folks.

My only negatives so far would be conceding first (4 times in last 5 games), being hit on the break so potently, and losing Rodri is gutting our middle (like how losing kdb used to mean no creativity).

As for the wolves game, that is not unusual in itself for City to lose at poor teams early on, it's more the trends above that I'd be bothered about.

I’ve seen the whole game now.

City’s performance was not awful; it was somewhat toothless going forward and maybe lacking intensity and conviction. The team did not lack effort though, you cannot dominate possession and territory as City did without putting in a shift.

When a team defends as Wolves did, you need a bit of magic or luck to break through and both were in short supply yesterday, Julian’s excellent free kick aside.

City didn’t even defend badly, despite the stick Ake is getting. Are had a tough time because it is difficult to defend high against a player who has such superior pace and space to run into.

City were very unfortunate to conceded 2 goals. Both Wolves goals had a couple of spawny elements to them plus a gol scorer who should have had a 2nd yellow long before he scored - a disgraceful piece of refereeing from the next to useless Pawson. Wolves literally got the breaks and City didn’t.

Bemoaning bad luck and the absence of key players does not change the fact that the team City fielded should have done better and Pep picked out failures in the process that he will no doubt talk to the team about this week and look to put right for two big games.

Looking forward, we have the two best midfield players in the world to come back, the best ball playing centre back and Bernardo. Kova and Jack are probably not at full match fitness yet and all the new signings and Bobb need time to get fully up to speed.

Last weekend, prior to Rodri losing his cool, City played some magnificent football and we looked to be warming up nicely. We’ve had a couple of bad results in a row, which is very unusual so it is important to bounce back in midweek.

Last edited:
The disallowed goal seemed mad, very rushed..red cards though, like Rodri's had to be given....weal first yellow for Jota but his second was a yellow all day...as for Rodri ..that was a sending off pre Christmas style back in the day. He seemed like he was dying to get sent off. Very un Rodri like! (must have a wedding to go to!!!) Arsenal with no decent CM's...fk
What did you think of the Curtis Jones one?

A performance like this was always going to happen, it does every season and has to happen over the course of a season, the lads can’t win every game. I am actually very pleasantly surprised we made such a good start this year after the fantastic exploits of last season, i personally was expecting a much slower start. after finishing the season so late and many of our players having bloody internationals on top of this. City are top of the league and as we all know only get better towards the business end of the season, all looks good to me at moment.
Im all for optimism but after such a toothless and abject performance yesterday against a struggling and poor wolves team id say it looks far from good, particularly with the games coming up this week. I hope I'm wrong but yesterday we lacked any kind of drive, control or creativity which doesn't bode well having to go to leipzig and arsenal away.
Of course we step up in the bigger games but with the personnel on the pitch yesterday we're miles off the quality weve had in recent years in gundogan, mahrez etc who step up in big games and produce

A poor display. I was surprised when Gvardiol was not starting but the tendency was to think we had too much for Wolves as it was. What a mistake to make! Our passing was laboured, we had no answer to the counter and as the game developed it was clear that a struggling Ake got no help or cover, for the first time our midfield really looked very ordinary without Rodri and KdB and there was little imagination to deal with Wolves' massing in their box. Very lacklustre indeed. Let's hope it's no more than a blip with too many of our lads having a bad day.

If you remove Rodri, KDB, Bernardo, Stones from your team, and have others just returning from injury (Kovacic, Grealish) then some drop off in performance isn't surprising ? We don't have Gundogan to step in now, either.

What it does show is that - contrary to public opinion - we don't have an enormous squad ... it doesn't take much for us to be playing the likes of Phillips & Gomez who are okay but not (it seems) anywhere near the standards we've set in recent years.

Im all for optimism but after such a toothless and abject performance yesterday against a struggling and poor wolves team id say it looks far from good, particularly with the games coming up this week. I hope I'm wrong but yesterday we lacked any kind of drive, control or creativity which doesn't bode well having to go to leipzig and arsenal away.
Of course we step up in the bigger games but with the personnel on the pitch yesterday we're miles off the quality weve had in recent years in gundogan, mahrez etc who step up in big games and produce
Wolves weren't poor yesterday and by a many accounts have not been all season.

A poor display. I was surprised when Gvardiol was not starting but the tendency was to think we had too much for Wolves as it was. What a mistake to make! Our passing was laboured, we had no answer to the counter and as the game developed it was clear that a struggling Ake got no help or cover, for the first time our midfield really looked very ordinary without Rodri and KdB and there was little imagination to deal with Wolves' massing in their box. Very lacklustre indeed. Let's hope it's no more than a blip with too many of our lads having a bad day.

As I just posted.

Rodri and KDB are proabaly the two best midfield players in the world. they should both be in the Top3 or 4 players for this year's Ballon d'Or.

Having both missing will hurt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.