Wolves post match

No I don't think I am, I just didn't make too much of those chances or the uninspiring tactics which some seem to think we haven't seen before.

Having watched the highlights I think you have it backwards the last chance was probably the best one of the lot as he had more space... but he was running at full tilt on tired legs and Bravo's timing and positioning was immaculate. You could argue a better striker would have made more of that but the reason they had that space in behind in the first place is because they aren't top opposition nor do their tactics reflect that... hence all our players in their half pretty much. We also should have probably had a penalty for a pull to the ground on Aguero before then too.

The first one came about after a foul on Mangala, if you watch it back you will see what causes Mangala to stumble(completely missed in the commentary) is the player put his leg across his shin and then ran onto the loose ball it was nothing to do with "Mangala needing to be stronger" he was tripped momentarily but recovered. So before we even begin we can say they might not have had that chance if the ref/linesmen spotted it as they should have. Secondly Mangala regained his balance quickly and was up against his back harrying him as Bravo was also closing him down, by the time he was set to shoot Bravo was right on top of him reducing his chances of finding the net greatly. Fair play to Bravo it doesn't matter who the opposition is he was getting this wrong last season and didn't look to have the confidence to do it at all, this was a big game for his confidence.

The second one was rather fortunate because Mangala actually partially blocked the pass but it bobbled on through to the intended target anyway but again by the time he had it under control the angle had been closed down making his options more limited.

A defender shouldn't be caught on the wrong side against top opposition but again... they aren't and we knew that, the way they set up meant we could have all our defenders way up in their half. I'm not saying we played well but we didn't play badly enough that we deserved to lose, in fact we were the better side, their keeper needed to play very well himself.

In hindsight though maybe the rewards for those risks I mention in that game were not there, nor would I have expected Tosin or Mangala to offer much in the way of support for our attackers up in their half the way Stones and Ota can. As Pep says though as long as they are brave and show they are trying to get the hang of playing the way the manager wants the odd mistake can be forgiven. Obviously they will have to show they have a chance of getting it at some point, Zinchenko has shown room for this I think, maybe Tosin too but he has much to learn(we should allow it in this cup). It makes you realise how underappreciated Stones and Ota are in this system, along with Dinho because the build up from the back is key for pulling players out of position, then we move the ball up the pitch with the aim of not allowing them to recover the spaces left for us with our fluid movement. We need all the parts of the machine in sync with each other or it can all fall apart and leave us exposed too, if I remember right at least none of the chances they had were from a breakdown in the passing at the back. Even though some complained they played it too safe, imagine if we went behind from a messed up pass from Mangala or Tosin? It would have been game over, I think it would have been a different game if we managed to score the first.

The problem is that we are a top quality centre back short, due to gambling on a permanently injured player. Both defensively & in possession we have a problem, if Mangala & Tosin have to play together. Much less of a problem, if there is a top cb, playing next to them.

The problem is that we are a top quality centre back short, due to gambling on a permanently injured player. Both defensively & in possession we have a problem, if Mangala & Tosin have to play together. Much less of a problem, if there is a top cb, playing next to them.
Another injury to CB would be a big problem.

Otters, in particular, seems to gamble much more when playing with a CB partner whom he may not fully trust - diving in way too often and making silly challenges.

Otters, in particular, seems to gamble much more when playing with a CB partner whom he may not fully trust - diving in way too often and making silly challenges.

Otamendi has risen to the challenge this season & as you say, he is making fewr dangerous decisions. Put him next to Mangala, that might not be the case.

Otamendi has risen to the challenge this season & as you say, he is making fewr dangerous decisions. Put him next to Mangala, that might not be the case.
Just so.

An injury to Stones not only incurs a downgrade in Mangala or Tosin coming on, but it could totally wreck Otamendi's game, turning an excellent CB into a liability.

Fernandinho could fit in there. Walker could cover. Yaya if we really needed cover. The youngster adarabioyo needs more game time to bring the confidence out of him. We could always go to a back 3 if we really get down go the bare bones, pep has got many strings to his bow. I get a feeling he's clicked what the prem is about now.

Fernandinho could fit in there. Walker could cover. Yaya if we really needed cover. The youngster adarabioyo needs more game time to bring the confidence out of him. We could always go to a back 3 if we really get down go the bare bones, pep has got many strings to his bow. I get a feeling he's clicked what the prem is about now.
We could certainly scramble - maybe some sort of cobbled together back 3 as you say. But it would be an experiment for sure. Hopefully we can get another quality CB in during the Winter window.

I see the Sun have decided that the 4th sub rule is open to interpretation and spread that City and Arsenal are in breach of it.

It's total rubbish of course.

After sleeping on it, don't see why people are saying we should praise wolves, they played 10 behind the ball and parked the bus.
The only chances they had were from our mistakes (mangala mainly).
Their keeper made plenty of saves and tbf we were outplaying them mainly, just not breaking them down.
Both teams has 9 changes, but we still looked more than capable, jesus, and raheem had quiet games and the forward line were being crowded out, but without david, ferdy and kev the centre was slower and it showed.
Overall wolve came for pens in my opinion and got them, Bravo was a class above them though.

Zinchenko, for 20yr old on his debut playing not in his natural position did a great job, though looked knackered by 80mins

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.