Wolves post match

well, having played and continue to play football regularly i can sympathise a bit with the ball argument - it is extremely noticeable when you play with a ball that you are not used to playing with, it sticks out like a saw thumb and it can get under your skin. Having said that, i think that's mainly cos i'm a crap amateur, these lot could probably rise above it :)

They train with them though, silly excuse really !
Only for a few days.
De bruyne, for instance, plays perfectly weighted passes, he doesn't have to think about how hard or soft he has to touch the ball as he does it week in, week out, the mental calculations are already in his head.
Change the ball and those calculations are all wrong and have to be re- learned.

Only for a few days.
De bruyne, for instance, plays perfectly weighted passes, he doesn't have to think about how hard or soft he has to touch the ball as he does it week in, week out, the mental calculations are already in his head.
Change the ball and those calculations are all wrong and have to be re- learned.
+1
And moreover, the relearning is probably on a subliminal level - motor-reflex, habit, second-nature - as opposed to intellectual - let's see, I'm now playing with the Mitre ball, so I should adjust my pass just so.

IMO, complaints about a new ball with different physical characteristics which affect ball travel, passing, shots, etc. - are justified - win or lose. Perhaps FIFA needs to tighten ball specifications.

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Lots of changes means a loss in fluidity and cohesion - it always does. Individual players can come into the first choice team and do fine, make a load of changes at once and this kind of thing often happens. Wolves didn't park the bus, they defended and looked to counter, and did that well.

City got through and the game was entertaining. Are we really at the point where not stuffing teams is grounds for complaint? What on earth will be the response when City lose if that's where we are?

Quite correct. Hope it is just internet fans starting to think like that.

Great match and spectacle.

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Lots of changes means a loss in fluidity and cohesion - it always does. Individual players can come into the first choice team and do fine, make a load of changes at once and this kind of thing often happens. Wolves didn't park the bus, they defended and looked to counter, and did that well.

City got through and the game was entertaining. Are we really at the point where not stuffing teams is grounds for complaint? What on earth will be the response when City lose if that's where we are?
Agree RE Wolves not parking the bus, etc.

But as for performance, it was the antithesis of Pep football - no crisp passing, no intense pressing. We did not at all play as our manager wants, and the resulting football was as to be expected. Maybe we should have won in regulation/over time - our squad is a zillion times better after all - but what transpired is about what can be expected if we don't pass quickly and don't press well.

Who needs a ball, seen a Dutch lad doing keepy uppies with a dead fish on a beach in Kos once!

Who needs a ball, seen a Dutch lad doing keepy uppies with a dead fish on a beach in Kos once!
+1
What Carew does with a football, City can do with an orange. :-)
====
Too bad the fucker plays for the Scum - and well past his prime.

Agree RE Wolves not parking the bus, etc.

But as for performance, it was the antithesis of Pep football - no crisp passing, no intense pressing. We did not at all play as our manager wants, and the resulting football was as to be expected. Maybe we should have won in regulation/over time - our squad is a zillion times better after all - but what transpired is about what can be expected if we don't pass quickly and don't press well.

As a general point, I'd say that playing the way the first team have is really, really difficult. If it wasn't, then everyone would do it. So I'm truly not surprised that with so many changes City struggled to replicate that. And when it isn't perfect, it looks dysfunctional. That's exactly how I'd expect most teams to look if they had a crack at playing the same way. It's taken a fair while for the first team to get that nearly right, and Guardiola isn't totally happy with them and keeps saying they need to improve.

City are playing in a very complicated, demanding manner. They won't get it right all the time even with the first choice players. I'm just not going to beat them up for being a bit off in a game like this. It happens.

As a general point, I'd say that playing the way the first team have is really, really difficult. If it wasn't, then everyone would do it. So I'm truly not surprised that with so many changes City struggled to replicate that. And when it isn't perfect, it looks dysfunctional. That's exactly how I'd expect most teams to look if they had a crack at playing the same way. It's taken a fair while for the first team to get that nearly right, and Guardiola isn't totally happy with them and keeps saying they need to improve.

City are playing in a very complicated, demanding manner. They won't get it right all the time even with the first choice players. I'm just not going to beat them up for being a bit off in a game like this. It happens.
Fair enough - except for pressing. That's an effort thing mostly. Our press during the 90 was unforgivable - in extra time, our players were dead on their feet, so I give plenty of leeway there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.