Wolves post match

So basically Pep is repeating a complaint all our players had with the ball the moment they were given it to train with? Sounds like a "flyaway" ball you win at fairs by the discription, can't say I noticed it during the game. Maybe they should ask the other teams what they think of the ball used in this cup instead of making it out to be all Pep... it might be a common complaint.

I imagine it's an absolute boon for the Crazy Gang at the swamp.

Drop Fernandinho - big drop in holding mid - Delph might cover but he's filling in at LB.
Drop Otters or Stones - big drop in CB - Kompany injury causes us problems there.
Drop Delph or Walker - big drop in fullbacks - Mendi injury plus Summer transfer window failure to sign Alves causes us trouble - Danilo can sort of slot in at fullback, but it's a big drop off.

On attack we're deep. But on defense, we're an injury away from big trouble.
There is not a team in world football that if you selectively pick out a few players to be missing wouldn't be weakened,it's why teams adjust formations and tactics to suit the situation they find themselves in.
My point was we are more comfortably off than most teams in this regard.

45A9CF1200000578-5015961-image-m-20_1508930637126.jpg
[sarcasm]
Translation - dear Mr. Pep - fuck off. We've been paid a handsome sum by Mitre, and by God, their ball is approximately round, LOL.
[/sarcasm]
If Miter's ball is sufficiently different than the ball players are used to - of course there's going to be complaints.

The same sort of complaints have been lodged at ball changes - for example - during World Cups.

I'm actually not sure where I stand on this issue - how can MItre differentiate their product if not by introducing changes?

And how can whomever is in charge of the Carabao Cup turn down a big bid from a ball manufacturer that meets specification.
=====
The market will sort this out - Pep's press conference for one cannot have helped Mitre at all.

The lesson learned is to try out new ball designs with a bunch of players (presumably Mitre didn't do this as well as possible to ensure majority approval of their new design) - and introduce a new design only if it's perceived - by the players - to be actually better - rather than just different - or possibly inferior.

They train with them though, silly excuse really !
But it's not an excuse, it's a complaint made by several, if not all players.
Training with those balls for just a couple of days while the opposing team has had months to get used to them does make a difference, although that's not the point that was being made by Pep.

There is not a team in world football that if you selectively pick out a few players to be missing wouldn't be weakened,it's why teams adjust formations and tactics to suit the situation they find themselves in.
My point was we are more comfortably off than most teams in this regard.
Agreed (Real Madrid aside) - but I didn't selectively pick out players - I said that any injury to a starting defensive player - bar perhaps our goalie - would result in, at the very least, an experimental side - and likely in a side markedly weaker than prior to the hypothetical injury.

City is in its second season under Pep, and it's the first season with Pep in full control. Of course our team won't be completely optimal.

That said, we're not nearly deep enough in defense - that'll be sorted out next season.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.