Women referees for the future?

FeedTheGoat10 said:
Only problem I'm thinking about is whether they can demand the authority a male referee can. I'm 17 and referee, but won't do adults because 1) I look younger than I am, and 2) the players are gonna think 'right we've got a kid let's shit him up so he'll give us decisions'. I've been doing kids 2 or 3 years younger than me and without sounding like a big headed twat, I rarely make mistakes and have been getting rated 8, 9 and 10 throughout the season. But I reckon that for the time being it's best at that age because I won't be able to handle all open age matches.

Had a female ref last year for a match for my Sunday team, and I thought she did alright (and restrained myself from having a go a few times just because she was a woman) but some players really did lay into her and she looked terrified at the end. Just think it might be a bit too risky, especially the way players like Rooney are to refs.

it might work as footballers might rein it in because they might be afraid of being seen as a dick because they are shouting at a woman. the press would hammer them.

Re: Re: Women referees for the future?

FeedTheGoat10 said:
Only problem I'm thinking about is whether they can demand the authority a male referee can. I'm 17 and referee, but won't do adults because 1) I look younger than I am, and 2) the players are gonna think 'right we've got a kid let's shit him up so he'll give us decisions'. I've been doing kids 2 or 3 years younger than me and without sounding like a big headed twat, I rarely make mistakes and have been getting rated 8, 9 and 10 throughout the season. But I reckon that for the time being it's best at that age because I won't be able to handle all open age matches.

Had a female ref last year for a match for my Sunday team, and I thought she did alright (and restrained myself from having a go a few times just because she was a woman) but some players really did lay into her and she looked terrified at the end. Just think it might be a bit too risky, especially the way players like Rooney are to refs.

A strong women can be more intimidating than a strong man. So there are no issues for me. Think what's her name off Dragons Den. She wouldn't take any shit. Mind you she would need a spell in one of Duncan's health clubs first, can't imagine she would be very mobile.

it would only be a matter of time before one of em is caught shaggin one of the players then it would all go tits up .

Alright then, what about women players?

Given that there are blokes of all builds including some tiny, puny types so the game is not about muscularity and power alone, surely one day there will be a woman player who is just absolutely fantastic.

I got a right load of stick off 14 year olds when I refereed their game once, the language was completely out of order 2bh.

but only tonight I saw Paul Robinson tell Chris Foy to "fuck off" and he didn't get sent off, so basically if the pro's aren't going to be forced to set an example and if we don't go the way of rugby ie. audible mics, "yes sir" etc. then how are the grass roots refs gonna stand a chance?

We might not have to wait that long tbh.

There's a lass making waves by the name of Sarah Garratt who is refereeing at Contributory League standard. I've heard nothing but good things and shall be watching her in the next few weeks at Hinckley Town.

I think it might work out well enough, I can't see why there shouldn't be women refs.
And if anything I can see players not giving them as much grief, at the end of the day, it shouldn't matter, and wouldn't matter once they, male/female, do a good job.
I mean there are some decent players out there, remember seeing the U17 womens world cup, the Irish team, they'd some serious skill.

What is needed to be done is that ex players, at the top level, are brought in and pushed to become refs, ex players will make good refs. Once you've played and know the game at the top level, that's the main thing.

I was at a conference game a few years back that had a female ref. She was dire but most of them are at that level, my only real issue was that it seemed like she was affected a bit by the crowd after a particularly bad decision 'the referee's a slapper' got sung and she promptly awarded one of the worst penalties I've ever seen given.

I'd like to see more of them if they're good enough the current bunch of ref's are pretty wank on average.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.