Women referees for the future?

I'm gonna sound sexist so I apologise in advance but no matter how shit the current crop of 'referees' are, i think it should be a bloke doing it.

i thought this was part and parcel of having womens football? Oh an by the way the female assistant referee was bang on in the scousers match.

Scottyboi said:
I'm all for it as long as they can handle being called slags ect. Will happen alot we need someone like her from Matilda otherwise haha.

Hahahaha, she'd soon have the Respect the Ref campaign in full flow. Can't see the likes of Rio, Rooney, Terry and the rest screaming in her face if she gives a decision against them!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6k10jlRg9k[/youtube]

without a dream said:
Dubai Blue said:
You're not going to get top-level players becoming referees because even the shittest among them are millionaires by the time they retire. But it should certainly be pushed as a career for lesser-paid lower league footballers or players who are released from professional clubs because they didn't quite make the grade. A basic understanding of what it's like to actually play football at a high level would go a long way to improving standards. Many cricket and rugby officials are ex-pros, and you can't really fault them.

Rugby officials get slated... just not by the players ;) Doesn't help that the rules get tweaked every couple of years though and I agree that that more ex pro's should be encouraged into it, maybe something for the PFA to look into.

Those are 2 examples of sports that have introduced technology into the officiating excellently though and the standard is a lot higher for it.

That's the problem, and I'm not hoping for clowns like Rooney or Drogba or whoever to say I'll go ref, but players who are experienced at the high level, because you really need to experience it for yourself. And I think it would improve standards tenfold.
I can find many faults with rugby refs, more than anything their interpretation of the game, my team have lost incredibly important games this season because of incompetance, and more than that their interpratation of some of the rules of the game. Technology has improved it dramatically, and that's a good thing but there are still shit refs out there.

But rugby refs allow a little more flexibility, when some football refs look like they're on a power trip.
They let a bit, within consideration, go, and they will take aside the captains and say your teams need to stop doing x, if you continue to do so, someone will be sent to the bin..etc.
They talk to players, the captains and the captains are, within an extent allowed to share their view with them.
The players respect them more, and do not 99% of the time talk back to them when it comes to carding a player, and when they give refs talkback for penalties etc the other team gets to move up a few yards, closer to goal.
We can hear what refs say to eachother because they are miced and that makes the world of difference.
And obviously video technology has improved the game so much.
They also have a stricter and better way of disciplining players if the ref missed something on the pitch or if it was serious enough to earn a ban.
So the discipline in the game, and the respect they show is 100 times better than football.

Dubai Blue said:
Rahart said:
What is needed to be done is that ex players, at the top level, are brought in and pushed to become refs, ex players will make good refs. Once you've played and know the game at the top level, that's the main thing.
You're not going to get top-level players becoming referees because even the shittest among them are millionaires by the time they retire. But it should certainly be pushed as a career for lesser-paid lower league footballers or players who are released from professional clubs because they didn't quite make the grade. A basic understanding of what it's like to actually play football at a high level would go a long way to improving standards. Many cricket and rugby officials are ex-pros, and you can't really fault them.

Having played the game is not a prequisite to understanding the Laws of the Game and applying them fairly and consistently. The argument is tantamount to suggesting that surgeons need to have suffered the ailments they seek to mend.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Dubai Blue said:

Having played the game is not a prequisite to understanding the Laws of the Game and applying them fairly and consistently. The argument is tantamount to suggesting that surgeons need to have suffered the ailments they seek to mend.

It's not the same, but in football, refs need to have a better understanding of he game, and actually know what they are talking about, and hopefully maybe that would gain more respect from players (doubt it) but it's possible.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Dubai Blue said:

It's not though really, is it? Surgery is based on science whereas the very Laws of the Game you talk about leave huge swathes of the game open to the 'interpretation of the referee', which is where a lot of them struggle.

I'm not saying every referee must have played the game professionally, I'm saying that I think those who have would benefit in terms of the way they interpret the purposely vague Laws of the Game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.