Women Turning Down The Head Coach Role At Mens Football Clubs.

Champions Again Ole Ole

In the last couple of days Emma Hayes, coach of Chelsea womens team has been offered with the Wimbledon job. She's been backed by hope Powell for turning it down because they feel the women's top league is better than league 1.
Hope Powell was also offered the Grimsby job whilst she was England manager. I can perhaps understand not wanting to leave the England job, but surely league 1 is bigger than the women's top league?
They won't get offered a job any higher up because there's too much money involved to give someone of inexperience or without a name (lampard, Rooney etc) a job.
I think she's mad for not taking it. If she succeeded then she'd get a shot at bigger things. If she failed she could probably walk straight back into the women's game.

Thoughts?

Emma Hayes's logic is that her expertise lies specifically within the women's game. She knows how to work with and coach female players, and her scouting knowledge of the game is restricted to the women's game.

Also, she's currently positioned in a rather lucrative job that she's worked very hard for and is building something of an empire there.

Plus she probably feels that if she can have a positive impact on women's football it's better for her to be in women's football.

All of which I find perfectly acceptable. She doesn't have to take any job she doesn't want to. As the standards of women's coaching improves I'm sure eventually we'll see a few who do make the jump.

I don't think men's football and women's football can really be compared. Her comments on other matters show she views them as two distinct sports.

She's at the top of her chosen game, working with the very best players and facilities possible. I personally think she'd be mad to ditch that to work at a place like Wimbledon. It'd be completely alien to her.

I dare say the attention and scrutiny doing so would bring is weighing heavily on her. Imagine the field day the press or even the players would have at the merest slip! No wonder she'd prefer what she already knows. I don't think it's simply a case of this "male league is a better standard as this female league etc" it's far more nuanced than that.

She could have made a million on the back of it just through tv ads, sponsors, newspapers etc. She’s a mug for not taking it. She could have been a big success and would have been a huge boost to young girls/women the world over. Not only that but it would have been brilliant to put some misogynistic knob heads firmly back in their place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.