Women's Team - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse than shocking! Just amateurish in the extreme. The most suckerish of sucker punches! But it's the sort of goal that's been written on the play for the second half. Demi Stokes has been given the runaround all night down that wing. I feel sorry for Benameur. She's kept a clean sheet for 90+2 and then has the shittiest defending in front of her. Absolutely dreadful. But there again if your winger goes charging down the wing within sniffing distance of the oppo area and then two passes later our goalie has it, and the opposition are pressing like they have all night, there's an inevitability about it! If they replicate that pattern of play in the second leg they can kiss goodbye to the group stage.
A pretty fair summary of the last 30 mins. Hopefully Walsh, Stanway & White will be back for the return.

It would seem not for you, I was agreeing with you anyways, but it was a joke ffs, in 16 years nobody has ever altered one of your posts in jest?

It happens all the time on here.
Not that I’m aware of Alf. Why would they?

Poor quality game really but very disappointing to concede so late on in the game. There were times when we appeared to have a great deal of difficultly passing the ball to a blue shirt especially when faffing about at the back. We may have had little time together but that should be no excuse for not being able to pass the ball or dithering whilst in possession, we were caught out a number of times.
It's quite an indictment for a professional team to be caught in possession so many times. If we string four consecutive passes together it is odds on that the fifth goes to an unmarked opposition player. The first touch of the Real women was in stark contrast to the close control, or lack of it, that we demonstrated. And if you are going to play out from the back then you have to have players who are comfortable on the ball. The number of times passes are returned to the person who passed to you probably accounts for half the passes we make.

Unfortunately the quality of City play was poor tonight. It seemed to me that they really did not want to play football at all. I know it was very hot and it’s the start of the season but you can see that we will miss Dahlkemper and Mewis and their replacements will take time to show if they are good enough for this standard. I certainly have my doubts about Shaw who does not seem to possess any skills at all and relies on brawn as her only tool, but I could be wrong. A draw away should be enough to get into the group stage but only if the players decide to turn up and if the manager can raise any enthusiasm to actually manage. Early days yet and time and attitude will tell.

It's quite an indictment for a professional team to be caught in possession so many times. If we string four consecutive passes together it is odds on that the fifth goes to an unmarked opposition player. The first touch of the Real women was in stark contrast to the close control, or lack of it, that we demonstrated. And if you are going to play out from the back then you have to have players who are comfortable on the ball. The number of times passes are returned to the person who passed to you probably accounts for half the passes we make.
Yep, guilty of over passing at times and eventually a sloppy pass and possession is lost. How many times were passes played from the midfield to forward players and the ball immediately pinged back by the forward, even when they had opportunity to turn and run with the ball…frustrating

Last edited:
Unfortunately the quality of City play was poor tonight. It seemed to me that they really did not want to play football at all. I know it was very hot and it’s the start of the season but you can see that we will miss Dahlkemper and Mewis and their replacements will take time to show if they are good enough for this standard. I certainly have my doubts about Shaw who does not seem to possess any skills at all and relies on brawn as her only tool, but I could be wrong. A draw away should be enough to get into the group stage but only if the players decide to turn up and if the manager can raise any enthusiasm to actually manage. Early days yet and time and attitude will tell.
We only need to labour for 89 mins, scoreless, and then capitulate in a similar manner. It's frustrating to witness a team that has not progressed since winning the league, and we have, arguably better players. Yer right about the Americans. I think Mewis and Dahlkemper would have sewn up the midfield and the back four and with Rose Lavelle's inclination to get forward and move the ball directly towards the opposition area they would have had a major impact. Bunny Shaw seemed to get little service and when she did I thought she was playing in wellies. The optimist tells me that we can only improve on that performance, but I've never been a convincing optimist where City teams are concerned.

We were sloppy in the first half and weaker than Madrid.I thought we did pretty well in the second half. The passing was much better and I just wished we’d tried to Nick a second goal in the last 15 minutes. The team need to realise we are playing with a more powerful forward so we don’t need to pass short all the time.

The ref was poor and penalty decision was a joke. I could t see much wrong with our disallowed goal but I only saw the incident once in real time.
I agree, wasn't impressed in the first half, but thought we were much better second half, 2nd goal looked fine to me, dreadful defending in additional time though.

Impressed with Shaw, she's going to be hard to handle, looked and played a bit like Yaya, opponents just bounced off her, compared to the rest of the squad she's big, nice to see Jill Scott back too.

Given who we had missing tonight, I think that is a good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.