Work/Life Balance

Prestwich_Blue said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
It was best in the eighties on the road when I really was a rep. Nobody knew where I was or how long I would be!
And because they couldn't contact you, they didn't bother unless it was a dire emergency.

I used to work for British Aerospace as it was then and one of my colleagues used to spend a couple of days a week at the Chester site. One day someone needed him very urgently so they rang the guy he should have been working with. He told them that Pete wasn't with him and hadn't been there at all for a couple of weeks so he got it in the neck when he next turned up in the office.

Funny thing is though, in my line. At the time (sales) you were judged by results so I worked hard then went home. A lot of my contemporaries didn't and now they work for people like me. I suppose what I am saying is that there is always somewhere to hide

worsleyweb said:
I have made it my mission in life to escape the rat race aged 50. Working like mad now to save and invest for another 13 years, live sensibly and then do things I want to do in my 5os.
Always my aim that, so I retired three ago when I reached 53, now I rarely go out, except when I go jogging......I think I made a BIG mistake to be honest.

Benarbia_is_god said:
21 years old now and have a year of uni left after this. Not sure what I want to do but I made a decision last year that I will not do a job I don't enjoy. I don't care how well paid it is, life is more important than having lots of money and as long as I can live a reasonably comfortable life I don't care how much I earn. If you like your work surely it becomes an enjoyable aspect of your life rather than work? I just don't think I could hack doing a job I hated for longer than 6 months!

Was actually painful reading this as this was me 5 years ago. Went to uni so I could get a job I wanted to do, said I'd never work in an office etc etc.

Left uni and there were just fuck all jobs out there, spent a bit of time on the dole and had to take this office job and was only meant to be 6 months and nearly been there 4 years now...

I hope you manage to do what you want but your showing a lot of naivety as I was guilty of as well. Just remember its tough out there when you graduate and you may have to settle for a job you loathe just to pay the bills. Good luck anyway.

RandomJ said:
Benarbia_is_god said:
21 years old now and have a year of uni left after this. Not sure what I want to do but I made a decision last year that I will not do a job I don't enjoy. I don't care how well paid it is, life is more important than having lots of money and as long as I can live a reasonably comfortable life I don't care how much I earn. If you like your work surely it becomes an enjoyable aspect of your life rather than work? I just don't think I could hack doing a job I hated for longer than 6 months!

Was actually painful reading this as this was me 5 years ago. Went to uni so I could get a job I wanted to do, said I'd never work in an office etc etc.

Left uni and there were just fuck all jobs out there, spent a bit of time on the dole and had to take this office job and was only meant to be 6 months and nearly been there 4 years now...

I hope you manage to do what you want but your showing a lot of naivety as I was guilty of as well. Just remember its tough out there when you graduate and you may have to settle for a job you loathe just to pay the bills. Good luck anyway.

Exactly the same as you mate.
I feel like ive been made a fool of, pretty much promised the world was my oyster after uni and id have a great job. It was all bollocks.
Too many degrees and not enough jobs

garymj said:
worsleyweb said:
I have made it my mission in life to escape the rat race aged 50. Working like mad now to save and invest for another 13 years, live sensibly and then do things I want to do in my 5os.
Always my aim that, so I retired three ago when I reached 53, now I rarely go out, except when I go jogging......I think I made a BIG mistake to be honest.
I know what you mean, I've not worked for 8 months now and starting to get bored, I do go out a lot, but I'm starting to miss work, it gives your life a bit of structure

garymj said:
worsleyweb said:

why do you think it has been a mistake? just out of interest

roaminblue said:
garymj said:
worsleyweb said:

why do you think it has been a mistake? just out of interest
Worked since I was 15 in the leisure industry, long hours and all that came with it. Now I'm just fed up and bored. It's not what I thought it would be like.

CTID1988 said:
RandomJ said:
Benarbia_is_god said:

Exactly the same as you mate.
I feel like ive been made a fool of, pretty much promised the world was my oyster after uni and id have a great job. It was all bollocks.
Too many degrees and not enough jobs
If you get a job that doesn't make you too miserable to enjoy the rest of your life, you're doing ok.

I do it through working a shitty job and putting in as many hours as i possibly can (they're being fucking stingy in my current job though) to save money, then going away for as long as i possibly can.

Big compromise i make is living at home, whilst i appreciate my parents letting me stay (not everyone will be so lucky), it stresses me out more than my job ever has.

But i know that in 5 or 6 months i'll be having a brilliant time, so i feel like i can deal with almost anything.

andyhinch said:
garymj said:
worsleyweb said:
I know what you mean, I've not worked for 8 months now and starting to get bored, I do go out a lot, but I'm starting to miss work, it gives your life a bit of structure

think i'd be the same, i'm more thinking I pop in two or three days a week for a couple of years until I had it over fully. any new buyer may give me a few hours after that :)

Honestly don't think I'll ever retire, not a money thing, got a final salary pension etc. I just get bored to easy. When work is slack in the summer, I've got loads of time on my hands, and I find it boring (I know it sounds like I'm taking the piss but its the truth), but in winter when I'm run off my feet, the warmer weather can't come fast enough :$

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.