Work/Life Balance

de niro said:
good topic.

its rotten to see that people hate their jobs, full marks for turning in everyday to feed your familes.
i'm pretty lucky is I don't consider what I do as "work", time consuming but hardly work. the only snag is I do 7 days a week, every week so yes I do get weary. that's my age I suppose. in regard of work balance I did have 4 days off for Moscow and I am very lucky to be able to do those games. on the downside unless I do munich (very doubtful) I will be working from my Moscow return right through till xmas eve without any days off. imbalance maybe but I wouldn't have it any other way. being busy is everything, had enough down days in the past few years.

You run your own business De Niro, is that right? I think working long hours is different when you're seeing that translate directly into your company and thus often your back pocket. I know plenty of business owners who work their arses off, but more often that not they get to reap the rewards of all that effort. Problem for most is working their arse off for someone else to benefit, that's often where the despair comes from.

im in a dead end job but it pays the bills, i dont take work home with me and i get on with it.

At the minute moneys tight and overtimes plentiful so ive been working 6 day 48/50 hour weeks for as long as i can remember

outside of work im in college doing an access course in history which is heavyily essay based.

I think im coping really well, only missed 3 city games all season, still see plenty of the missus get my essays done and keep on top of the housework etc..

adrianr said:
de niro said:
good topic.

its rotten to see that people hate their jobs, full marks for turning in everyday to feed your familes.
i'm pretty lucky is I don't consider what I do as "work", time consuming but hardly work. the only snag is I do 7 days a week, every week so yes I do get weary. that's my age I suppose. in regard of work balance I did have 4 days off for Moscow and I am very lucky to be able to do those games. on the downside unless I do munich (very doubtful) I will be working from my Moscow return right through till xmas eve without any days off. imbalance maybe but I wouldn't have it any other way. being busy is everything, had enough down days in the past few years.

You run your own business De Niro, is that right? I think working long hours is different when you're seeing that translate directly into your company and thus often your back pocket. I know plenty of business owners who work their arses off, but more often that not they get to reap the rewards of all that effort. Problem for most is working their arse off for someone else to benefit, that's often where the despair comes from.

there are times when you are right but during the recession I could take nothing home and had to live on my wife's money with a wage now and again from the shop. although much busier now it will take a long time to get back on track fully. you can't mend 5 years of shit in 12 months. still rarely take a wage but I see as still being here as a proper bonus. my customer base have been fantastic and loyal, spent with me when themselves got on firmer ground.

it does cross your mind to think "i'd kill for a set wage", it doesn't last long though as when I look at things overall i'm a very very lucky man.

nfs7q0.jpg
Ronnie the Rep said:
de niro said:
stonerblue said:
fuckin hell Ronnie, you're always on the road.

he's in rep.

No, Madrid :-)

TBF, it's great today, done the deal and now sitting in the Iberia lounge back at the airport drinking free beer. I wish every day was like this.

British airways to Manchester tomoz :-)

As my employer doesn't give a fuck about such.......

If anyone knows of any companies that place a high value on this aspect of an employees working life,and are currently recruiting....... then please feel free to include them in this thread.

Ta.

For the last 15 years, apart from a couple of spells, I've been spending Monday to Friday away from home. Fortunately I enjoy what I do although it's usually challenging and can be stressful. It was certainly hard having to miss out on seeing my kids and more often than not missing out on parents evenings and things like that. In one sense though it's quite nice as you get time to yourself during the week plus I met loads of Blues when down in London who I'm proud to call my friends.

The problem is that it's a ballache at weekends as I don't get home till Friday night and go back on Sunday evening so my social life is very restricted. I'm looking forward to this weekend when there's no football and I've got nothing else on plus I'm counting the weeks to December 13th when I finish for 2 weeks.

Prestwich_Blue said:
For the last 15 years, apart from a couple of spells, I've been spending Monday to Friday away from home. Fortunately I enjoy what I do although it's usually challenging and can be stressful. It was certainly hard having to miss out on seeing my kids and more often than not missing out on parents evenings and things like that. In one sense though it's quite nice as you get time to yourself during the week plus I met loads of Blues when down in London who I'm proud to call my friends.

The problem is that it's a ballache at weekends as I don't get home till Friday night and go back on Sunday evening so my social life is very restricted. I'm looking forward to this weekend when there's no football and I've got nothing else on plus I'm counting the weeks to December 13th when I finish for 2 weeks.

That must be really tough mate. My biggest regret is missing my kids early years. I would change that if could go back in time

Prestwich_Blue said:

I'm in a similar position regards my antisocial calendar and it does get you down especially when you do not feel valued...... As most years,Christmas is a none event for me again.

Anyway,sounds like you've earned the leave,so forget work and enjoy yourself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.