World Book Day - favourite City book

Paul Lake's "I'm not really here" because it makes you laugh and cry in equal measure. The last bit where Gary Cook says 'welcome home' (Or words to that effect) still gives me goose pimples. Followed closely by Ian Cheeseman's 'Best job in the world'.

I am looking to buy a copy of the history of manchester city by fred johnson if anybody has one they do not need

ped said:
willipp said:
Only one for me and i cant even remember its name. I had it in the 80's i think and it had every single city game in stats since they were created. I loved that book and probably spent more time looking through that than any other i have ever read. Showed the attendances, scorers, line up of pretty much every single game in the league and cup. Oh how id love that book again.
ray goble Manchester city the complete record ?
I've got that. Bizarrely, a rag supporting mate gave it me. Goes up to the 1992/3 season.

Prestwich_Blue said:
ped said:
willipp said:
Only one for me and i cant even remember its name. I had it in the 80's i think and it had every single city game in stats since they were created. I loved that book and probably spent more time looking through that than any other i have ever read. Showed the attendances, scorers, line up of pretty much every single game in the league and cup. Oh how id love that book again.
I've got that. Bizarrely, a rag supporting mate gave it me. Goes up to the 1992/3 season.

An all time fave of mine too. Picture of the 1985/6 team on the back I think in the red and black check shirts. There was a list of supporters’ names at the back I think and you could get yourself in there for nowt if you were quick enough. I’m sure John Motson’s in the list. And a couple of City players. At the front, details of City’s “greatest games”. Good job it stopped in 1992 cos it would have still been the same fucking games up until 2011 (okay Gillingham. And York. And….).

A non-City book, but I can include it because of the cover: “Striker” - book of the series that was shown on BBC1 mid-seventies. They played in the royal blue shirt with diagonal read and white stripe. Our away kit circa ’72/73. The bloke that became Ivy Tyldsley’s husband was the team’s manager. Fucking great series (Striker, not Corrie).

johnnytapia said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
ped said:

An all time fave of mine too. Picture of the 1985/6 team on the back I think in the red and black check shirts. There was a list of supporters’ names at the back I think and you could get yourself in there for nowt if you were quick enough. I’m sure John Motson’s in the list. And a couple of City players. At the front, details of City’s “greatest games”. Good job it stopped in 1992 cos it would have still been the same fucking games up until 2011 (okay Gillingham. And York. And….).

A non-City book, but I can include it because of the cover: “Striker” - book of the series that was shown on BBC1 mid-seventies. They played in the royal blue shirt with diagonal read and white stripe. Our away kit circa ’72/73. The bloke that became Ivy Tyldsley’s husband was the team’s manager. Fucking great series (Striker, not Corrie).

Yes, didn't he have a limp after breaking his leg playing forLeeds (I think). Or am i getting him mixed up with Dave Whelan ;)

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
johnnytapia said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Yes, didn't he have a limp after breaking his leg playing forLeeds (I think). Or am i getting him mixed up with Dave Whelan ;)

Brilliant recall Phil - he certainly did. He rocked up in his Leeds’ yellow kit. I think he ended up playing vicariously through the lad who was “Striker”. Didn’t “Striker” also have a girlfriend who went on to play one of the Grange Hill stalwarts (Trish?).

Not sure about Dave Whelan - did he break a leg? In a cup final?
PS - Moz in Leeds. Tix arrived today.

I'd go for Lakey's book as well.

I seem to remember that Mark Hodkinson did another similar book to the City one where he followed Rochdale for a season. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called but that was a great read as well.

willipp said:

It is Manchester City - A Complete Record 1887 - 1987, by Ray Goble, published by Breedon Books.

It came out in 1987 and was advertised in the matchday programme for £14.95 for weeks before.

The advert said the first subscribers would get their names listed in the book.

My dad sent off for two, one for me, and our names are near the top of the list of subscribers at the back of the book.

My copy has always been well used right up to the present day and is a bit dog eared now.

The dust jacket front has photos of Eric Brook, Bert Trautmann and Alan Oakes over a picture of the 1904 FA Cup winning team.

The dust jacket rear has photos of the two championship winning teams from 37 and 68.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.