World Cup 2018 | 14th July | Third Place: Belgium vs England, KO 15:00 (BST)

Kane only won the golden boot cos he took the penalties. He scored 3 penalties and one shot that hit him and went in, that could have happened to any of England's out players.
I hope Kane was suitably embarrassed when he accepted the award.

Operation Protect Kane in full force.

He was tired since the Colombia game hence his lack of performance...

@CityInWashingtonState - I can’t be doing with the moaning aimed at you for wanting to discuss an alternative tournament format. Send me a pm with a link to the US college system you referred to please mate.
I don't have a link.

But it goes as follows:

There are 4 regions: North, South, East, West (let's call them A, B, C, D for simplicity).

Seeding goes as follows: a panel of college basketball experts comprised (I believe) of top journalists, former coaches and other recognized experts meet. They go over the entire season, comparing the qualifications of each team taking into consideration strength of schedule, total wins, bad losses, good wins, recent performances, players now coming back from injury, etc. They force rank each side from 1-64 (well, there are play-in spots too but we can ignore these for now). They then place the teams into the 4 brackets: 1 to A, 2 to B, 3 to C, 4 to D (in college basketball home side advantage is important so if a bracket is near your home court you'll be favored to be placed there - we can ignore this too). These 4 teams become the 1-seeds in their respective brackets.

Next, 5-8 are placed into brackets: roughly 5 to D, 6 to C, 7 to B and 8 to A (but home court is again favored for these sides - we can ignore this for the WC).

7-12 are similarly divided and so forth for all sides.
===
At the start of the tournament, teams within each bracket face each other and this ensues until only 1 team remains from each bracket.

Initially, the 1 seed faces the 16 seed, the 2 seed faces the 15, 3 faces 14 and so on.

In the 2nd round, the survivor of 1 v 16 faces the expected next weakest survivor, i.e., 9 v. 8; 2 v 15 faces 10 v 7; etc.

And so on.

Mathematically, the sum of the expected surviving sides starts as 17 (e.g., 1 v. 16), then 9 (e.g., 1 v. 8), then 5 (e.g., 1 v. 4), then 3 (i.e., 1 v. 2).

Strong sides are afforded protection, facing the weakest expected surviving opposition at each stage.

Once the brackets are done, the winner of A plays the winner of some of some other bracket, say B, and C plays D. In the final, the winner of A v. B plays C v. D.
===
This sort of tournament arrangement strives to protect stronger sides against chance - pairing them against supposed weaker sides at each stage. And it's a knockout (one loss and you're out), all the way through.
===
Adopting such a system is a radical departure from the extant WC format and protecting strong sides to the extent done in USA college basketball would likely not be seen as desirable among the FIFA members. However, less drastic changes are possible that could improve the tournament if you'd like to see strong sides face each other as late as possible.
===
As a possible improvement to the current WC format maybe the following rule could be introduced:
The winner of a group stage picks which side of the bracket they'll play in.

Although not perfect, such a rule is compatible with a group knockout stage, and would avoid any advantage accrued from losing your final match. The chief drawback to this suggestion would seem to be that choosing becomes more and more advantageous the later your group stage finishes; little advantage - other than choice of venue, which upon reflection might actually be important - for the winners of the group that finishes first.
===
Anyhow, I think that it's more exciting to see strong sides play each other as late as possible in the tournament (they'll need to advance to these late stages of course). The extant WC format isn't at all optimal in this sense and could easily be improved by changes both big and small and, if desired, the group stage could be preserved.

Last edited:
I don't have a link.

But it goes as follows:

There are 4 regions: North, South, East, West (let's call them A, B, C, D for simplicity).

Seeding goes as follows: a panel of college basketball experts comprised (I believe) of top journalists, former coaches and other recognized experts meet. They go over the entire season, comparing the qualifications of each team taking into consideration strength of schedule, total wins, bad losses, good wins, recent performances, players now coming back from injury, etc. They force rank each side from 1-64 (well, there are play-in spots too but we can ignore these for now). They then place the teams into the 4 brackets: 1 to A, 2 to B, 3 to C, 4 to D (in college basketball home side advantage is important so if a bracket is near your home court you'll be favored to be placed there - we can ignore this too). These 4 teams become the 1-seeds in their respective brackets.

Next, 5-8 are placed into brackets: roughly 5 to D, 6 to C, 7 to B and 8 to A (but home court is again favored for these sides - we can ignore this for the WC).

7-12 are similarly divided and so forth for all sides.
===
At the start of the tournament, teams within each bracket face each other and this ensues until only 1 team remains from each bracket.

Initially, the 1 seed faces the 16 seed, the 2 seed faces the 15, 3 faces 14 and so on.

In the 2nd round, the survivor of 1 v 16 faces the expected next weakest survivor, i.e., 9 v. 8; 2 v 15 faces 10 v 7; etc.

And so on.

Mathematically, the sum of the expected surviving sides starts as 17 (e.g., 1 v. 16), then 9 (e.g., 1 v. 8), then 5 (e.g., 1 v. 4), then 3 (i.e., 1 v. 2).

Strong sides are afforded protection, facing the weakest expected surviving opposition at each stage.

Once the brackets are done, the winner of A plays the winner of some of some other bracket, say B, and C plays D. In the final, the winner of A v. B plays C v. D.
===
This sort of tournament arrangement strives to protect stronger sides against chance - pairing them against supposed weaker sides at each stage. And it's a knockout (one loss and you're out), all the way through.
===
Adopting such a system is a radical departure from the extant WC format and protecting strong sides to the extent done in USA college basketball would likely not be seen as desirable among the FIFA members. However, less drastic changes are possible that could improve the tournament if you'd like to see strong sides face each other as late as possible.
===
As a possible improvement to the current WC format maybe the following rule could be introduced:
The winner of a group stage picks which side of the bracket they'll play in.

Although not perfect, such a rule is compatible with a group knockout stage, and would avoid any advantage accrued from losing your final match. The chief drawback to this suggestion would seem to be that choosing becomes more and more advantageous the later your group stage finishes; little advantage - other than choice of venue, which upon reflection might actually be important - for the winners of the group that finishes first.
===
Anyhow, I think that it's more exciting to see strong sides play each other as late as possible in the tournament (they'll need to advance to these late stages of course). The extant WC format isn't at all optimal in this sense and could easily be improved by changes both big and small and, if desired, the group stage could be preserved.
All interesting stuff. As you say, most FA’s probably wouldn’t go for a format that protects the bigger nations but something should be changed to prevent a recurrence of the England v Belgium farce where it benefited both sides to lose.

Once you’re past the 1st knockout round, it’s not an issue because you have to win to stay in regardless of who you play.

The next World Cup is going to be 48 teams apparently so a draw is doable. If there are 12 groups of 4, 8 3rd place teams could go through. The jeapardy of finishing 3rd is that your 2nd round match could come soon after your last group game. If there’s a set 2 day rest period and then the round of 32 and the round of 16 continues with 3 games per day, also the last group games do 3 groups per day rather than 2 like in this one, the tournament wouldn’t have to be extended too much. The group winners plus 4 best runners up in one pot, the other 4 runners up plus 12 3rd placed teams in the other. 3 days to decide fixtures as a minimum between rounds and then the rest of the rounds laid out as before.

That’s not a positive when a square ball is likely to put us 2-0 up in a World Cup semi final.

Kane would have reckoned that he had as much chance of scoring as Sterling did. I'm not saying that he was right about that - and with hindsight, it was a big mistake. But in the heat of the moment and given Sterling's previous goal attempts during the tournament, I can't totally blame him.

Kane only won the golden boot cos he took the penalties. He scored 3 penalties and one shot that hit him and went in, that could have happened to any of England's out players.
I hope Kane was suitably embarrassed when he accepted the award.

He scored 6 goals. The next highest scorer scored 4. Kane won. That's how it works. Further bleating won't change that.

It's also worth pointing out that Kane was playing in a team that created very few chances overall and that expected him to change his style of play and operate, for the most part, far from goal.

So why didn't he do it in the quarter final then?

Because there was opponent s between him and Kane and the pass didn't open up.

What makes you think he would have scored anyway, given that he managed to miss an open goal completely when Lingard squared it to him in the Tunisia game?

Because missing a chance in a game doesn't guarantee you'll miss every chance you get.

Kane would have reckoned that he had as much chance of scoring as Sterling did. I'm not saying that he was right about that - and with hindsight, it was a big mistake. But in the heat of the moment and given Sterling's previous goal attempts during the tournament, I can't totally blame him.

It was a bad mistake. No excuses needed, he thought shooting was the better option and he got it wrong.

Anyone that would refuse to pass to a teammate (especially one that scored over 20goals last season) in a much better position because he thinks he'll miss has no business being in a team.

He scored 6 goals. The next highest scorer scored 4. Kane won. That's how it works. Further bleating won't change that.

It's also worth pointing out that Kane was playing in a team that created very few chances overall and that expected him to change his style of play and operate, for the most part, far from goal.
How many chances do you think Sterling missed during the world cup?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.