World Cup Predictions

Marvin said:
I've got Neymar as top scorer and Brazil to win it. But having seen Holland, I think they might do it.

For me, Robben and Neymar are the best 2 players in the world. Robben has been at a remarkable level for 2-3 seasons and hasn't had the acclaim that players like Ronaldo get. Brazil have a good defence, and are very hard working, but they also have some duds and are very reliant on Neymar to create and inspire. Maybe Brazil need one of their subs to have a great game and force themselves into the 1st 11

Brazil won't make it past the last 16. They'll end up facing Spain and I'm certain that Spain won't let someone roll them over again.

piddylolo said:
Yay - I'm team 6. If Costa & Lukaku are both fit, I like my chances.

As for my WC predicitions:

Surprise team to not make it out of their group: Netherlands

oops

Apologies for the update, but there was a glaring omission at 23:

1. England qualify flakily for Brazil 2014 (and France, Russia and Qatar)
2. Everyone agrees that qualification is the most important thing (which it is).
3. Pundits and journalists begin to talk earnestly about a "new generation" of players
4. German squad and Lightning Seeds release "Fussball ist nach Hause angekommen" - eclipsing the pitiful England offering
5. Raggedy flags of St George appear on white vans and houses
6. Panini stickers on sale in Costcutters
7. Lazy articles in the press abound about samba/Copacabana/carnival/Mexico 70.
8. Large numbers of people who otherwise take no interest in football talk knowledgeably (or ignorantly - take your pick) about Sturridge, Shaw, Barkley, Sterling and Lallana as the new "world class" generation
9. Equally large numbers of people attach huge significance to the fact that England are unfancied
10. BBC3 shows updated version of the "worst England XI". Carlton Palmer makes the cut
11. Home friendly arranged against a team (Peru in this case)as an exemplar of the "local" style of play
12. Ditto on neutral territory - Ecuador and Honduras. In all fairness, Miami is climatically closer to Manaus than Manchester
13. England perform in pedestrian style in the above. Manager declares himself pleased with the positives
14. Key player picks up injury - Beckham, Rooney, Barry. Now Oxlade-C.
15. Radio 5 interrogates eminent Oxford professor of surgery to comment on recovery period for (delete as appropriate) metatarsal/knee ligament/hair weave
16. Scare stories in the tabloids about hooligan fears. Mass handing in of passports across the country
17. Media becomes increasingly hysterical - anything less than the semi-final will be a disaster
18. Geoff Hurst says he "has a feeling" this is England's year
19. So does John Barnes - accompanied by endless clips of his goal at the Maracana. Endless clips also of Oxlade-C's and Rooney's more recent goals at the same ground.
20. Players and management says this is the "best prepared" team they have been involved with
21. Opening game ends in disappointment, with at least one one defensive howler
22. Pundits take the positives from the game. We can still qualify
23. Small cabal of senior players stage revolt, and cowering behind (delete as appropriate) Gerrard/Rooney/Johnson/Lampard, pitch up at Roy Hodgson's hotel room at midnight on Wednesday, demanding a showdown. Roy has taken a sleeping pill. Breathing a sigh of relief, the players push a note under the door - "Play us in our favourite positions - or else". Meanwhile the same senior players deny the revolt in the tabloids.
24. England stumble through group stage
25. England humiliated by first half decent team they meet in knockout stage - quite possibly a team on a fraction of their wages
26. Blame apportioned to (delete as appropriate) - being too tired at the end of a PL season/ball too light/ball too heavy/heat/humidity/altitude/internal travel/inferior accommodation/presence of WAGs/absence of WAGs/ boredom/opposition's "technical" superiority/refereeing incompetence/lack of goal-line technology/too many foreigners in PL/players' use of social networking/anti-capitalism riots/etc
27. Blame never apportioned to lack of skill, ability to pass and move into space or tendency to lose concentration
28. Low level reprisals taken across the country with minor vandalism of (delete as appropriate) BMWs/pizza restaurants/Colombian Consulate
29. "Team England" attempt to fly into Stansted unnoticed at 3.00 am.
30. Team England ambushed by press in Stansted arrivals lounge at 3.10 am.
31. Team England lynched and disembowelled on the front and back pages
32. Much hand-wringing, followed by root and branch review of tactics/coaching/youth development/grass roots game
33. Manager replaced and Hodgson (and his successors in 2018 and 2022) takes job in Latvia/Lithuania/Leicester
34. When the dust settles, the new manager and the FA declare that this was a tournament too early for the new golden generation - we are told to wait for 2016/2018/2022.
35. Players' ghosted autobiographies relate detailed accounts of the revolt described above
36. Repeat every two years.

Marvellous entertainment..!

I fancied Argentina but watching Germany now I think they will be far too strong for anyone.

Pace, Movement and Composure on the ball.

Fantastic team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.