World Cup Thread, Round of 16, Sat 28 June - Tue 1 July

Re: World Cup, Rd of 16, Sat 28 June - Tue 1 July (Sunday Pg

Markt85 said:
cleavers said:
Markt85 said:
It's just a shame England didn't progress.
Not the way they played it isn't, watch the teams that give their all, those teams that don't leave early, and deserve to.

We played well in both games and were extremely unlucky not to have a pen against Italy, Uruguay not to have a played sent off and the ball coming off Gerrards head to lay perfectly for Suarez but I accept that's football and these things happen. Both results could well have been very different.
Going over old ground here, I know, but England really didn't play well in any of their games. We had a very promising, high tempo first 30 mins against an awful Italy side and that was it.

Those opening 30 mins seem to have clouded a few judgements because we were bang average for the rest of that game, piss poor against Uruguay and absolutely terrible against Costa Rica.

We didn't come up against a single decent side and emerged with just 1 point. So no, it's not a shame England didn't progress because we'd have got humiliated against the first team that had a bit of class about them.

Robben has admitted to diving for the penalty against Mexico, will he get a ban? don't hold your breath

pudge & rodge said:
Frank H said:
pudge & rodge said:
Does any official have the balls to call 'keepers out for jumping off the line early?

Some save though

Not clear that he did jump off early.
It kinda is..

<a class="postlink" href="http://zippy.gfycat.com/ViciousMasculineArkshell.webm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://zippy.gfycat.com/ViciousMasculineArkshell.webm</a>

Can't open your attachment.

None of the "pundits" questioned the save.

Had a look at the replays - it's marginal in every single penalty in this match whether or nor the keeper moves in front of the line (not just moves) before the penalty taker actually strikes the ball. Of course it only matters in the case of Gekas' attempt because it was saved. And if a keeper has any foot not completely in front of the line, does that count as being OK?

It is almost impossible for a ref. to tell whether or not a keeper has jumped off his line early in most circumstances. The only way to resolve it would be for an official to carefully scrutinise every millisecond of a replay of a penalty. I can see why that isn't being considered - it would slow up play too much during a match, and penalty shoot-outs might last a long time.

I suspect that the refs tend, rightly IMHO, to give the benefit of the doubt to the keeper.

Frank H said:
pudge & rodge said:
Frank H said:
Not clear that he did jump off early.
It kinda is..

<a class="postlink" href="http://zippy.gfycat.com/ViciousMasculineArkshell.webm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://zippy.gfycat.com/ViciousMasculineArkshell.webm</a>

Had a look at the replays - it's marginal in every single penalty in this match whether or nor the keeper moves in front of the line (not just moves) before the penalty taker actually strikes the ball. Of course it only matters in the case of Gekas' attempt because it was saved.

It is almost impossible for a ref. to tell whether or not a keeper has jumped off his line early in most cirumstances. The only way to resolve it would be for an official to carefully scrutinise every millisecond of a replay of a penalty. I can see why that isn't being considered - it would slow up play too much during a match, and penalty shoot-outs might last a long time.

I suspect that the refs tend, rightly IMHO, to give the benefit of the doubt to the keeper.
You do realize that is why there is always an official standing beside the goal?..

I know most if not all 'keepers do it but it's technically not allowed. Like other players in the box before the penalty, it might not get called all the time but it gets called a hell of a lot more than jumping off the line.

Cesar was at it for practically every Chile penalty but there was no hope of the refs calling it back once he saved it. Referees don't have the courage to do so.

Navas made a great save but technically it should have been retaken. In the biggest competition in World football I expect officials to take a firmer stance on rules given that save effectively knocked a team out of the World Cup.

pudge & rodge said:
Frank H said:

Had a look at the replays - it's marginal in every single penalty in this match whether or nor the keeper moves in front of the line (not just moves) before the penalty taker actually strikes the ball. Of course it only matters in the case of Gekas' attempt because it was saved.

It is almost impossible for a ref. to tell whether or not a keeper has jumped off his line early in most cirumstances. The only way to resolve it would be for an official to carefully scrutinise every millisecond of a replay of a penalty. I can see why that isn't being considered - it would slow up play too much during a match, and penalty shoot-outs might last a long time.

You do realize that is why there is always an official standing beside the goal?..

I know most if not all 'keepers do it but it's technically not allowed. Like other players in the box before the penalty, it might not get called all the time but it gets called a hell of a lot more than jumping off the line.

Cesar was at it for practically every Chile penalty but there was no hope of the refs calling it back once he saved it. Referees don't have the courage to do so.

Navas made a great save but technically it should have been retaken. In the biggest competition in World football I expect officials to take a firmer stance on rules given that save effectively knocked a team out of the World Cup.

The official standing beside the goal is no more or less a human being than the ref., and the human eye and mind are extremely susceptible to illusions. And, similar problem to "offsides", it is difficult for humans to look carefully at two actions at the same time when they are not both in the centre of their vision. So the point remains - the only way to absolutely sure is to carefully scrutinise a recorded replay on a millisecond basis.

If a rule is so hard to officiate on, it should be modified.

(Strictly speaking - Navas' save didn't by itself knock Greece out. The CR player who followed could have had his kick saved)

Frank H said:
pudge & rodge said:
Frank H said:

The official standing beside the goal is no more or less a human being than the ref., and the human eye and mind are extremely susceptible to illusions. And, similar problem to "offsides", it is difficult for humans to look carefully at two actions at the same time when they are not both in the centre of their vision. So the point remains - the only way to absolutely sure is to carefully scrutinise a recorded replay on a millisecond basis.

If a rule is so hard to officiate on, it should be modified.

(Strictly speaking - Navas' save didn't by itself knock Greece out. The CR player who followed could have had his kick saved)
That's why I said "effectively"

You're not very good at this.

France v Nigeria

can see a classic here good chance for Nigeria if they can expose France 2 shocking full backs im going 3-2 either way!

Quality finish.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.