Worst away day ever

Chris in London

Dave's thread about smallest away support made me think about my worst ever experience at an away match.

It was either 1989 or 1990, Howard Kendall was the manager and I was still living at home. We got the train down from Manchester to watch City away at Wimbledon at the old Plough lane. The train was late, and when we got to London somehow we ended up getting on the wrong train and finally arrived at Twickenham, where there was a Rugby game going on. We couldn't get a train back in to where we needed to be so ended up walking, before hailing a black cab. £20 later (when that was a week's beer money) we were dropped off 'just round the corner' from the ground. No it fucking wasn't.

Another half hours walk laters we arrived at the ground. On the way, we met a blue coming the other way who said the first half had been so shit he was going to the pub. Finally we arrive at the ground. We were charged full admission and allowed in for about the last 20 minutes.

Clive Allen scored for us from a corner, they missed a Penalty but scored a last minute equaliser.

In terms of amount of money spent for minutes of football watched, it was the worst away match I've been to.

Someone whose trawler ran aground on the way to York must be able to top that.

Brighton. Lost the game and ran out of juice on the way back. Mini bus driver would not do over 50 mph at any time.
got home at 4.30 am. Up for work at 7.30.

nightmare.

Chris in London said:
Dave's thread about smallest away support made me think about my worst ever experience at an away match.

It was either 1989 or 1990, Howard Kendall was the manager and I was still living at home. We got the train down from Manchester to watch City away at Wimbledon at the old Plough lane. The train was late, and when we got to London somehow we ended up getting on the wrong train and finally arrived at Twickenham, where there was a Rugby game going on. We couldn't get a train back in to where we needed to be so ended up walking, before hailing a black cab. £20 later (when that was a week's beer money) we were dropped off 'just round the corner' from the ground. No it fucking wasn't.

Another half hours walk laters we arrived at the ground. On the way, we met a blue coming the other way who said the first half had been so shit he was going to the pub. Finally we arrive at the ground. We were charged full admission and allowed in for about the last 20 minutes.

Clive Allen scored for us from a corner, they missed a Penalty but scored a last minute equaliser.

In terms of amount of money spent for minutes of football watched, it was the worst away match I've been to.

Someone whose trawler ran aground on the way to York must be able to top that.
That's pretty grim. I'm pretty certain I was at that game too: I certainly went to a 1-1 draw there.

I'm going to volunteer a Chelsea away game in the mid 90s. It may have been the 95-96 relegation season; we were certainly wearing red and black and summerbee was playing. It was a midweek night match and Traffic was a complete and utter nightmare. By the time I got there I had to just shove my car in anywhere, scratching my brand new pride and joy Rover 220 really badly. I got into the ground just before half time and there was a poisonous atmosphere and we were 2 or 3 down. I think Chelsea were opening up a new stand and the place was rocking (although that may have been a different occasion). We finished up totally hammered, and when I got back to my scratched-to-fuck brand new car, it had a ticket on there.

1987 - Millwall Away. No other City fans down my way, so went to this match on my own. Got completley lost in South London, and then having thought I'd found my way and seen signs to the stadium , I parked up and ran to what was an empty Hockey stadium! Panic and another read of my London A-Z, I managed to direct my way to the Den. Arrived 30 minutes after kick off with the only turnstiles open in the Millwall end. Then had to stay stump throughout the match including Tony Adcocks winner in City's 1-0 victory.

Since then, I always aim to arrive at Away grounds at least an hour before kick off just in case my Millwall experience repeats itself.

Barnsley new years day 80`s,rough as fcuk from new years eve,it was the coldest day i can remember,didnt watch the match,huddled down behind the wall behind the goal trying to get warm,think it was 0-0

Villa when Billy McNeill took us both down.

Stood behind the goal piss wet through as the roof didn't cover the small front tier.

My dad's car broke down on the motorway on the way back. Horrible day.

Result wise has to be Derby away x 2 4-0 and a 6-0.

Stockport away nov 1997, lost 3-1 , 3 down in half hour, Ged Brannan pulled one back, pissed it down, no roof, Micheal Brown warming up City fans telling him to get on as players on pitch werent up to much, his answer about Clark was " that prick wont put me on" Curly Watts/Les Battersby pissed up ballooning about behind City bench, City fans fighting each other.

And using my megarider to an away game WTF.

Sheff wed about 20 years ago, minibus ran out of petrol on the way, got there very drunk 30 mins into the game, city scored within 5 mins i fell down the steps in a drunken stupor and got chucked out. Good 5 mins tho what i saw .

Everything about this day was a disaster, the weather, the pitch, the performance, the result and the trouble afterwards. About the only good thing was that the special didn't break down on the way back to Manc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGofgn5pi7Q[/youtube]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.