Worst away day ever

Oldham away, must have been 86? 87? Saturday 3pm kick-off and it pissed it down all day and for those old enough to remember the old away end at Oldham, the sloping bank behind the terrace was open to the elements and was just grass - or on this day one big mud bath. People were clambering up it or falling down it. Can't remember the score but as soon as we got back into town it just seemed to be running battles wherever you went as the rags had been at home.

irlamblue70 said:
Oldham away, must have been 86? 87? Saturday 3pm kick-off and it pissed it down all day and for those old enough to remember the old away end at Oldham, the sloping bank behind the terrace was open to the elements and was just grass - or on this day one big mud bath. People were clambering up it or falling down it. Can't remember the score but as soon as we got back into town it just seemed to be running battles wherever you went as the rags had been at home.
I went to that one. What actually happened was it was a hot day, then an enormous thunderstorm burst overhead right on kickoff. Everyone was in shirt sleeves on that terrace. I saw hundreds clamouring to be let out at half time, and they were.

Didsbury Dave said:
irlamblue70 said:
I went to that one. What actually happened was it was a hot day, then an enormous thunderstorm burst overhead right on kickoff. Everyone was in shirt sleeves on that terrace. I saw hundreds clamouring to be let out at half time, and they were.

if it's the game I recall there was a real shower - but they were on the pitch...

Either -

1976 Bristol City away. Long drive, couldn't see a thing, lost 1-0, brother had a puncture on motorway on way home

Or

5-1 loss at Fulham. Such a poor game and display ended up watching events on the river over the fence

Didsbury Dave said:
irlamblue70 said:

That day I was driving from the Fylde coast and I'd had to pass through that storm on the way to Oldham, I parked up and thought "great the weather's ok here" only to realise shortly after that the storm had followed me.

2 bad ones spring to mind and strangely both at Blackburn where I've also had some of my favourite away trips! One was on the last day of the season where my mates car broke down on the way home. A pain on its own but me and the missus should have been going out for an anniversary meal as soon as I'd got back which I missed and got earache about for weeks afterwards (as she didn't believe we'd really broken down).
The second one was the cup tie under Pearce where the atmosphere amongst blues at the end was horrible. Only time I've seen city fans properly fighting amongst themselves and it was going on all over the place.

Mentioned this in another thread but West Ham away in the mid-1970's. Went down on the football special and (as you did in those days) got your spot on the terrace early. I think we were there about an hour before kick off.

However it was clearly going to be carnage so we left before kick off and spent the afternoon drinking in central London.

Wimbledon 1993 - lost 0-1; train crash on Victoria bridge station meant sat in waiting train for an hour; had to walk all way to Selhurst Park from train stop; open terrace; soaked to skin; City terrible.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.