Worst away day ever

seafordblue said:
I managed to direct my way to the Den. Arrived 30 minutes after kick off with the only turnstiles open in the Millwall end.

The only turnstiles open at any time were for the Millwall end. Everyone had to go in their end and make their way round the back of the main stand and into the City end. Taking your chances along the way.

Lively old day whatever time you got there.

Plymouth away late 80's.

Car broke down on way so we got there at half time. We were 2-0 up at that time.......Lost 3-2!

Another one was Barnsley away late 80's. Went on the special and it ran over a horse on the line. Train pulled in to station at half time. We all thought the game would have been put back but no chance. 400 or so of us running to the ground must have been a sight from the terraces.

game ended 0-0!

In terms of result.......Notts County away was a bad day! Wigan last year was aload of shite and Blackburn away in the cup 2-0 under Pearce was awful.

Halifax away in the cup. Final replay v spurs crashed on the M1 going down. Derby away got in late 2 down, and I think big Joe got sent off for pacing out the yardage to the penalty spot. Then worst though has to be York away, I was their but in the away end behind the goal we were truly awful.

Dont think I have ever had a really bad away day, if the result was bad something on the trip usually made up for it and vice versa.

Made us what we are today, loyal fans

Middlesboro at Ayresome Park in the late 80's. It was a League Cup game so was consequently midweek.

Drove up there with some mates to be greeted by the abortion that is Middlesboro. My working life has subsequently taken me up and down the country and to this date possibly only Luton and Port Talbot can out-do it for sheer, grinding depression.

Got to the game at the just as depressing Ayresome Park only to find a cloud of fog featuring with increasing prominence as the match wore on. The rule, as was explained to me at the time, is that the ref can abandon the game if he can't see both set of nets from the halfway line.

I can't, if I'm honest swear that the game was abandoned, but I remember the drive back being particularly fun to say the least, so the match was called off or we lost. Either way it was a dreadful day/night

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Middlesboro at Ayresome Park in the late 80's. It was a League Cup game so was consequently midweek.

Drove up there with some mates to be greeted by the abortion that is Middlesboro. My working life has subsequently taken me up and down the country and to this date possibly only Luton and Port Talbot can out-do it for sheer, grinding depression.

Got to the game at the just as depressing Ayresome Park only to find a cloud of fog featuring with increasing prominence as the match wore on. The rule, as was explained to me at the time, is that the ref can abandon the game if he can't see both set of nets from the halfway line.

I can't, if I'm honest swear that the game was abandoned, but I remember the drive back being particularly fun to say the least, so the match was called off or we lost. Either way it was a dreadful day/night

Wasn't that early 90's? The same year we lost there in both cups?

Apologies if not but the game I'm thinking of was probably about '93. It sticks in my mind not only because of the fog but I ended up in the players lounge after the game and Keith Curle kept mithering me for cigs.

I bumped into him at Wilmslow station about 15 years later and asked him if he had the packet of B & H he owes me. Just gave me a strange look and rapidly did one.

Bluedodd said:
Halifax away in the cup. Final replay v spurs crashed on the M1 going down. Derby away got in late 2 down, and I think big Joe got sent off for pacing out the yardage to the penalty spot. Then worst though has to be York away, I was their but in the away end behind the goal we were truly awful.

That's a bad one - isn't that the day we lost the league in '77?

tidyman said:

Apologies if not but the game I'm thinking of was probably about '93. It sticks in my mind not only because of the fog but I ended up in the players lounge after the game and Keith Curle kept mithering me for cigs.

I bumped into him at Wilmslow station about 15 years later and asked him if he had the packet of B & H he owes me. Just gave me a strange look and rapidly did one.
It may well have been mate, but if so it would have been very early nineties, not '93, as I was still living in Manchester at the time of the game I'm sure (moved away in '92).

tidyman said:

It may well have been mate, but if so it would have been very early nineties, not '93, as I was still living in Manchester at the time of the game I'm sure (moved away in '92).

Presume it was this one?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=3990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/ ... px?id=3990</a>

There's video "highlights" on there too GDM, just so you can relive the misery (if you can see through the fog).

Sheffield United Jan 2008 - Baloongate

Arrived at the ground after a couple of beers in a town centre pub & walked to the game with fellow blues. Just as we arrived a coach turned up very close and almost ran over my mates foot, he shouted "f-ing hell mate watch where your going". The old bill pulled him over "you're not going in, you're drunk." Me & our kid went in anyway after many unsuccessful attempts to get our mate in. We kept calling him and it turned out he was surrounded by about 20 officers during the match trying to bait him into getting himself arrested. Then the balloon goal happened! At half time we decided to leave to get our mate out of there, we walked down the road, rang our mate and told him to set off to meet us. Looking back down the road there was our mate walking along, followed closely by about 20 police, clearly busy....! We met up & walked back towards town & were stopped by police (now in thier van), grilled where we were going and given directions back to town. Later we decided this was a shit route & we were going back the same way we came and diverted. A few minutes later 2 police vans come screeching around the corner, handbrake turns and loads of police pour out of the vans for 3 lads. We were all seperated and questioned as this area was 'rife for car crime'. After explaining what had happened that day and telling them we were just going home because they hadnt let our mate in (they were the same police surrounding him earlier) they let us on our way. Meanwhile at the stadium the dressing rooms were robbed!

Shit day, shit result and i'm never going back to that shithole again!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.