Worst Goalkeeper

Macrae arrived three and a half years after Joe's blunder against West Ham so I'm not sure there's a link. Also, Joe was pretty good in 71-72 as when we finished 4th, just 1 point behind the winners.
I saw Macrae make his debut at Sheffyoo in 73-74, and feared the worst as we were soon 1 down, but we went on to win 2-1.
Always thought Joe started off badly, went on loan to Shrewsbury under Harry Gregg's tutelage and came back an excellent goalkeeper.

There can't be many clubs over the years who have had more outfield replacement goalkeepers than City. MacDonald, Redmond, Quinn, Gleghorn and Walker all immediately spring to mind. All of whom were better than Immel & Suckling. Lol. Plus Harry Dowd was replaced during a game v Bury when I was a lad but I can't remember who went in goal.
Think Mike Doyle was replacement keeper for a while?

Kippers McRae was signed after a string of clangers by Joe Corrigan, culminating in turning his back on a free kick he'd just taken and walking back to his goal in a dream, as Ronnie Boyce volleyed it over his head to score in a 5-2 defeat against West Ham. I know I was piss wet through behind the goal trying to warn him.

McRae was signed for a big fee but injury and an improvement in Corrigan's form meant he lost his number one spot. I am amazed he was here for seven seasons I thought we sold him earlier.

SEVEN seasons , didnt realise , dont think he played many games due to Big Joe getting his act together , i do remember the goal from the half way line he got slaughtered for that.

SEVEN seasons , didnt realise , dont think he played many games due to Big Joe getting his act together , i do remember the goal from the half way line he got slaughtered for that.

I was at the game in the scoreboard end which was uncovered back then. Torrential rain most of the day it was truly miserable, Jimmy Greaves scored twice on his debut for West Ham. The rain had relented a little and I was stood right behind the goal when Corrigan took that free kick. He was walking back not looking as we saw it had been returned and was heading for the net. We were screaming and trying to get his attention and eventually he looked at us. I never forget the look of panic on his face as he realised it was heading for the goal. Another big Joe story was at the swamp and he came for a corner and dropped it. Mike Doyle who hated losing to the rags growled at him, " Catch the ball you big daft ****!!!" and Joe had the same look of horror in his eyes. He turned out to be a great keeper though.

Love a optimistic Blue I was there too no way were we capable of scoring twice that day

Ha ha the fog of memory, I feel even worse now I could swear we scored twice but it was indeed only once. Any fan singing " WWYWYWS?" Should be shown that game, awful and stood in the pouring rain in an uncovered end.

There can't be many clubs over the years who have had more outfield replacement goalkeepers than City. MacDonald, Redmond, Quinn, Gleghorn and Walker all immediately spring to mind. All of whom were better than Immel & Suckling. Lol. Plus Harry Dowd was replaced during a game v Bury when I was a lad but I can't remember who went in goal.
Tommy Booth at Stoke in the League Cup too

Macrae arrived three and a half years after Joe's blunder against West Ham so I'm not sure there's a link. Also, Joe was pretty good in 71-72 as when we finished 4th, just 1 point behind the winners.
I saw Macrae make his debut at Sheffyoo in 73-74, and feared the worst as we were soon 1 down, but we went on to win 2-1.

Do you know you're right. It was a long time ago now and I was a kid I didn't realise Joe had recovered his form to stay number one for longer after that West Ham blunder. I'm still gutted we didn't win the league that year, that world class performance from Banks against Stoke at Easter I think really cost us, unless my memory is playing up again.

I was at his home debut a week later. A 1-0 loss to Leeds, sadly. Was also at the (93?) game against Everton when we got thumped 5-2. I'm sure both goalies were substituted at half time, Margetson in our case. He was bobbins.

We have had many a fine goalkeeper over the years, names like Trautman, Corrigan, Coton, Hart, to name but a few and we have been renowned over the years for the quality of our goalkeepers. But we've also had some terrible ones as well, the one who sticks in my mind is Barry Sidall, even though he was only on loan, I really thought he wasn't very good. What goalies do you remember playing for us, and being absolutely dire ?.
Martyn Margetson, but to be fair when he did play he played in a pretty poor team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.