Worst signing of the season

supercrystal7 said:
chris85mcfc said:
supercrystal7 said:
Yes I do. Without Ozil they would have not gotten in the top 4, not got out of the group and certainly not have a chance of winning the FA cup. He was instrumental in beating the Liverpool clubs and getting them through the group. He has faded a bit, because he was overused and tired, but I see none of the same criticism for Negredo here. Ozil is in his first season and adjusting to a new league. He has had a decent season, but everyone wants to jump on his back.

But they got in the top 4 without him last season and apart from Ozil it's pretty much the same team as last season.

I'm not saying he's been poor or that he's not a great player, I'm just saying I expected more of him from what I saw of him at Madrid.

I agree about the first season tiredness that a few players seem to get but for the money spent I think wenger was hoping to get a bit more than 4 months out of him before he hit a brick wall.
That was last season. Teams improved and they would not have got out of the group or made fourth. I am not saying Ozil has been worth his 40 million, but he has done a decent job for his first season. I would expect more next season. If Wenger wanted more then he should have rested him more often.

Mkhitaryan probably deserves a mention too.

Totally disagree. City chelsea and Liverpool have all improved, arsenal have stayed the same and United have gone backwards so if anything it's been easier for them to finish 4th this season.

But yea I expect more from him next season behind a top draw striker, not Giroud.

I forgot Anders Cornelius and Ricky Van Wolfswinkle, especially the latter, expected more of him. Half of Porto's signings if we're talking european leagues, half of shaktar donetsk's too, agree about mikhytaryan.

mcfc2607 said:
lafitz2008 said:
Down to injuries obviously but if he'd signed for someone else Jovetic would probably be getting a mention I would think.
It doesn't really count if a players injured does it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't lamela injured?

I'm not counting players that have been injured most of the season, a bit harsh really.

The reason I mentioned Lamela was because I know we were linked with him and when Spurs signed him I thought we'd missed a trick. Started the game against us at the Etihad and I don't think I've ever seen a more disinterested performance from a player, and the other bits I've seen of him he's been awful.

chris85mcfc said:
supercrystal7 said:
chris85mcfc said:
But they got in the top 4 without him last season and apart from Ozil it's pretty much the same team as last season.

I'm not saying he's been poor or that he's not a great player, I'm just saying I expected more of him from what I saw of him at Madrid.

I agree about the first season tiredness that a few players seem to get but for the money spent I think wenger was hoping to get a bit more than 4 months out of him before he hit a brick wall.
That was last season. Teams improved and they would not have got out of the group or made fourth. I am not saying Ozil has been worth his 40 million, but he has done a decent job for his first season. I would expect more next season. If Wenger wanted more then he should have rested him more often.

Totally disagree. City chelsea and Liverpool have all improved, arsenal have stayed the same and United have gone backwards so if anything it's been easier for them to finish 4th this season.

But yea I expect more from him next season behind a top draw striker, not Giroud.
Everton have improved too. Arsenal also actually got a tough CL group for once, which took a lot out of them. They may have got top 4, but considering how close things are without him that's only a maybe, but no way they get past Liverpool or Everton without him in the cup. No way they get through their group either. From being a good season, providing they progress and assuming they win the cup, without Ozil it would have been a disastrous season

supercrystal7 said:
chris85mcfc said:
supercrystal7 said:

Everton have improved too. Arsenal also actually got a tough CL group for once, which took a lot out of them. They may have got top 4, but considering how close things are without him that's only a maybe, but no way they get past Liverpool or Everton without him in the cup. No way they get through their group either. From being a good season, providing they progress and assuming they win the cup, without Ozil it would have been a disastrous season

Mate if you honestly think that signing Ozil was to cement 4th place and get them out the group stage then fair enough, but I honestly think that if you asked a lot of Arsenal fans they'd say they expected more from him given his price tag and reputation

aguero93:20 said:
I forgot Anders Cornelius and Ricky Van Wolfswinkle, especially the latter, expected more of him. Half of Porto's signings if we're talking european leagues, half of shaktar donetsk's too, agree about mikhytaryan.
But they win ' the best named signing' so it doesn't count

mcfc2607 said:
lafitz2008 said:
Down to injuries obviously but if he'd signed for someone else Jovetic would probably be getting a mention I would think.
It doesn't really count if a players injured does it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't lamela injured?

Depends how long it goes on for I suppose,think most would agree Rodwell has been a bad signing and it's been injuries that have done for him.

Hopefully we'll see more of Jovetic next season and he'll blow us away.

chris85mcfc said:
supercrystal7 said:
chris85mcfc said:

Mate if you honestly think that signing Ozil was to cement 4th place and get them out the group stage then fair enough, but I honestly think that if you asked a lot of Arsenal fans they'd say they expected more from him given his price tag and reputation
What do you think is fair for him considering the Arsenal squad? Is it so bad if they win the FA Cup and go out to Bayern. Is his FIRST season worst than SIlva's ( in a weaker team mind you)? We will agree to disagree.

City, Chelsea and United all have better squads for me than Arsenal. Liverpool are behind them, but had no distractions.

All I can say is I would be very happy if Ozil left Arsenal in the summer no matter the fee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.