Yan Couto

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the midst of the CAS victory this interview seems to have been missed.

It's with the 18 year old Brazilian RB we signed for ~£10m in January. Wasn't sure where to put this as he's not a current player but he's also not a transfer target.

Anyway the headline is that the kid says Pep said he'll be in the first team next pre-season and won't get loaned.

All of these are from City Xtra's twitter.​

"I still have a lot of people to meet [at #ManCity] and become friends with. I met Pep, Gabriel Jesus, Éderson, Agüero. I haven't talked to everyone, but they are good people and I was super happy with the way they received me."

"I know I am new, they have great selection players in the squad. I know that I have to be patient, that I have to evolve, adapt in Europe, but I think that in a short time I may be playing, entering games, playing in Cups."

[When asked if there will be space for him in the first team next season]

"At the beginning of negotiations with #ManCity, they wanted to loan me. But it was not what I wanted and so I had a preference for Bayern and Barcelona. Last minute, Pep saw my games, he really liked my style, what I did at the World Cup...

"Then a representative at #ManCity asked why I was going to Barça - he managed to get me to the first team at City and play with Pep, and the opportunity to do the pre-season with Guardiola..."

"I had a conversation with him [Pep], at #ManCity after a training session that I watched. He came to talk, welcomed me, was very happy with my choice. He said that I am a great player, that I am very promising...He said I have to practice my English, be better than Gabriel Jesus' when he arrived. He was really, really happy. Then Fernandinho and Gabriel arrived and we talked. I can't wait to be with them. I was a little nervous."

"Fernandinho was the one I had most contact with. I got to have dinner with him. In February he asked me to go to his house. He's a super charismatic guy, always sends me a message - I didn't expect it and I can already say that he's my friend...He has a lot of experience, he left Paraná early, has a great history and I am very happy that he is welcoming me, to open the doors of his house like this for me."
So looks like we have another RB next season? These conversations would have been happening mid- to late-January. He's 18 but would take up a foreign slot for UEFA competitions.

I have no idea if this means we'll have 3 next season or Cancelo is planning on leaving.

Anyway here's the obligatory highlights video so people can post Samaras jokes.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

I've tried to rack my brains a bit with this one on what the possibilities are. It's probably going to be something similar to what we've seen with Foden and Garcia last season. That is league cup games and a few substitute appearances here and there. But then we're not in the league cup next season are we?

There's a chance that he's in for a disappointment. Pre-season first team training doesn't necessarily mean much. He could still be loaned out, or relegated to a uselessly peripheral role. Although with the charm offensive that had been laid out for him it'd feel REALLY odd if that happens.

Fern seems to go over and above in looking after new players, especially from South America. I recall reading that he did this at his previous club too. Not sure what he will want to do when he finishes but he would be an asset to the club in a player liason/welfare role.

Hmmm.

I've tried to rack my brains a bit with this one on what the possibilities are. It's probably going to be something similar to what we've seen with Foden and Garcia last season. That is league cup games and a few substitute appearances here and there. But then we're not in the league cup next season are we?

There's a chance that he's in for a disappointment. Pre-season first team training doesn't necessarily mean much. He could still be loaned out, or relegated to a uselessly peripheral role. Although with the charm offensive that had been laid out for him it'd feel REALLY odd if that happens.

sorry if I am being really thick but how come we’re not in the cup?

I’m excited for this kid! similar feeling to jesus !

This is an interesting one. Based on the interview and what was out there earlier, it sounds like we were in for him as a CFG signing, he'd decided on Barca, and then something changed on our end and we went back in for him as an actual first team/near first team signing. He's also legitimately one of (if not the most) highly rated kids at his position in the world. He's just turned 18, but with far fewer senior appearances than Jesus did at the time of his transfer.

sorry if I am being really thick but how come we’re not in the cup?

I’m excited for this kid! similar feeling to jesus !
I believe there's going to be a push to have teams in European competition not feature in the cup next season. Since I've not heard anything opposing it since I've made the assumption it'll probably happen.

Love a full back who can take a man on and his defending is at least feisty. I think he probably won’t be involved in first team all year and having an abbreviated summer probably doesn’t help him but you can see why we purchased him. Actually looks to have more of Marcelos play style to me if we are going to force a comparison to a Brazilian fullback but he seems awfully small to get any regular playing time right now

This is an interesting one. Based on the interview and what was out there earlier, it sounds like we were in for him as a CFG signing, he'd decided on Barca, and then something changed on our end and we went back in for him as an actual first team/near first team signing. He's also legitimately one of (if not the most) highly rated kids at his position in the world. He's just turned 18, but with far fewer senior appearances than Jesus did at the time of his transfer.

And that's underplaying. About two sub appearances ever. May as well be nowt. He's totally raw.

I think this kid is incredibly naive. If Cancelo stays then he won't get a look in. He'll train with the first team and probably end up playing EDS football.

Fern seems to go over and above in looking after new players, especially from South America. I recall reading that he did this at his previous club too. Not sure what he will want to do when he finishes but he would be an asset to the club in a player liason/welfare role.
He's best placed. He left at a young age himself, so knows what it's like. Fern strikes me as a man who never forgets
where he's come from and is extremely humble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.