Yaya out for the season?

Jimfv1 said:
Yaya is great for our team, that is undeniable but you have to have your eyes shut to not notice that he can be a liability when our team doesn't have possession of the ball.

He is a frustrating player because he has the physique to be able to be a complete footballer, but the defensive side of his game from a positional sense is what lets him down. The other factor is it isn't one game good followed by one bad one. It is much more complicated than that, he can be good and bad in the same game, depending on what is happening on the pitch. It is against the fast passing tricky sides where Yaya struggles most when our team are trying to get hold of the ball and create something ourselves. We would all miss him if he left the club, but we will have to plan for this sometime over the next 2-3 years. If he is out until the end of the season then so be it, we have players who can fill in, but we won't possess the match winner who can turn a game on his own from deep in midfield. Next season we will hopefully have a player at the club who can fill in for Yaya more easily when he is missing through injury or suspension.

Great post. Pretty much sums up the situation for me.

Not the end of the world losing Yaya, he'll be a big miss however it's all guns blazing time now anyway so having Javi sat in front of back 4 and letting Fern get forward will do us fine. Gives the fullbacks a bit more license as well.

We'll be piling on more forwards now anyway as we have to win our last 6.

This weakness of yaya's game not a new thing, Guardiola opted for Busquets for a reason. Busquets cant go and score like Yaya. But can keep possession, tackles extremely well, plays deep, helps the defence, knows Barca style in and out, and extremely disciplined tactically.

I think for us the best thing in the midfield would be to change for 433 formation.

A deep player, somone better than Garcia helping the defence, Fernandinho doing his real position like at Sahtar and Yaya trough the middle, arriving around the box...
This way we could decrease the problems coming from Yaya's weaknesses he clearly has.

But not sure it would be the best for us in the attacking line. For this we would need strong, goal scoring wide forwards like CR, Bale, Reus. not necessarily playmakers like Nasri or Silva or old fashioned winger like Navas. Jovetic could be part of it tho, so a Silva-jovetic-Agüero trio ahead of a DM-Fernandinho-Yaya trio could be a fantastic team, but Pelle doesnt seem like a 433 manager.

Even if that was some kind of plan by Txiki earlier.

That would make us less open in the middle, Fernandinho could help the attacks more without the pressure of the defence being totally open as there is a DM behind him. fernando from Porto maybe.

Ok it's obvious it's not a blessing in disguise but it was noticeable how our shape looked better once Garcia came on, maybe we need to play all 3 in midfield to accommodate Yaya against clubs who can over run us in midfield, this would mean dropping an attacking player though.

MaineRoadBlue said:
At the risk of incoming, when the going gets tough Yaya can go missing.

As someone said, consistency is the key. So for me it's Garcia and Milner that will offer more across the final few games.

Agree yaya and nasri and navas out and sergio garcia and milner in passengers them 3 hope nasri has not signed thag new contract and I would not be upset to see yaya go. Another ban for me I think for slatting yaya its not allowed on here.

ifiwasarichfan said:
He is the best midfield player in the World. Amazed that some posters don't think we would miss him.

Probably because we played a lot better yesterday when he was off?

Yaya is an incredible footballer. You build a team around players of that quality rather than try to shoe horn them into the team and expect them to spend a lot of time doing something they are not so good at.

Manc in London said:
Yaya is an incredible footballer. You build a team around players of that quality rather than try to shoe horn them into the team and expect them to spend a lot of time doing something they are not so good at.

The same can be said of Silva. The question is, which of them would you rather build the team around?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.