Yaya says Pep "does not like African players" - Pep says "he's lying and knows it"

According to Zlatan, the problem was no communication. Zlatan breaking records, scoring at will, then all of the sudden benched. Nothing about why, no information about what he needed to improve, no explanation.

Many footballers are egos and idiots. Maybe Pep just can't be arsed to spend time and energy on idiots?
As a neutral outsider, Zlatan's claims make no sense. Why would any successful manager, out-of-the-blue decide one day to bench a star player with no explanation whatsoever?

Some of Zlatan's claims do ring true - Pep's avoidance about talking to him after this fallout seems true.

What I think transpired is that Pep was forced to choose between building a team around Zlatan or around Messi. Once having chosen Messi, Pep likely instructed Zlatan how to play to fit in to his expectations - i.e., by taking up a supporting role. Zlatan's ego is such that he'd ignore such advice. Eventually, Pep decided that Zlatan wasn't playing in a manner that helped the team get the best out of Messi's abilities - and Zlatan got less and less playing time.

Equally, Pep avoided talking to Zlatan about this situation, not wanting to get into a heated, emotional confrontation. Pep's solution - trade Zlatan.
=====
I haven't read Zlatan's book - but I've read portions or synopses of portions about the book on the Internet.

Some of Zlatan's quotes around this incident are supposedly along the lines of:

"Pep is not a man. If he were a man he wouldn't be afraid to talk to me."

"Pep is a coward. I wanted to talk to him man-to-man and settle it."

"I'm 6'-5". If that coward Pep would have talked to me, I'd have settled things man-to-man."

Etc.

I'm paraphrasing... but it's clear that any discussion of this topic with Zlatan would have been heated and may well have resulted in physical confrontation. Pep simply didn't want to endure such a confrontation.

Last edited:
As a neutral outsider, Zlatan's claims make no sense. Why would any successful manager, out-of-the-blue decide one day to bench a star player with no explanation whatsoever?

Some of Zlatan's claims do ring true - Pep's avoidance about talking to him after this fallout seems true.

What I think transpired is that Pep was forced to choose between building a team around Zlatan or around Messi. Once having chosen Messi, Pep likely instructed Zlatan how to play to fit in to his expectations - i.e., by taking up a supporting role. Zlatan's ego is such that he'd ignore such advice. Eventually, Pep decided that Zlatan wasn't playing in a manner that helped the team get the best out of Messi's abilities - and Zlatan got less and less playing time.

Equally, Pep avoided talking to Zlatan about this situation, not wanting to get into a heated, emotional confrontation. Pep's solution - trade Zlatan.
=====
I haven't read Zlatan's book - but I've read portions or synopses of portions about the book on the Internet.

Some of Zlatan's quotes around this incident are supposedly along the lines of:

"Pep is not a man. If he were a man he wouldn't be afraid to talk to me."

"Pep is a coward. I wanted to talk to him man-to-man and settle it."

"I'm 6'-5". If that coward Pep would have talked to me, I'd have settled things man-to-man."

Etc.

I'm paraphrasing... but it's clear that any discussion of this topic with Zlatan would have been heated and may well have resulted in physical confrontation. Pep simply didn't want to endure such a confrontation.
The fact is that Barca weren't winning everything while Big nose was there, but once Pep had his clear out, they went on to become one of the finest teams ever to grace the game, a style of play that City are seeking to emulate. Pep has nothing to explain. His results speak for themselves.

There are some modern footballers who believe they are bigger than the team. Slaton, Ronald, neymar etc. You need a manager and a club that is bigger.

The fact is that Barca weren't winning everything while Big nose was there, but once Pep had his clear out, they went on to become one of the finest teams ever to grace the game, a style of play that City are seeking to emulate. Pep has nothing to explain. His results speak for themselves.

Think you've pretty much summed it up there, it's a results business and Pep delivered.

Sweden seem to be a more complete team minus the nose.

Just spotted this on the official Twitter feed, no doubt Yaya and Seluk will be in touch with the lad to have a word...

Few coaches has these kind of open, hateful disputes with former star players. After reading the Zlatan Book, it makes you wonder if Pep has a little problem with communication and the HR aspects of coaching.

With that said, Yayas agent seems like a true psychopath.

After reading all the Pep books it's clear he doesn't have any problems with communication or HR, watching him and seeing the training videos it is evident that he has a wonderful relationship with his players and this is further endorsed by comments from past and present players. I would guess that he doesn't bear fools lightly and values loyalty very highly, once his expectations are not met then you are out and he won't waste any time with an individual. Ibrahimović has spoke many times about Pep but Pep has never spoken about him and I think that is telling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.