Yaya the manager?

Who was the last brilliant player that made it as a manager? The last one I can think of is Giggs. Smashing it home and away

Humour aside; it's a bit of a myth down the years that top players don't make it as top managers but it's also true that great players often make rubbish managers. Then again, very few footballers of any grade make great football managers because there just aren't many great managers.

Humour aside; it's a bit of a myth down the years that top players don't make it as top managers but it's also true that great players often make rubbish managers. Then again, very few footballers of any grade make great football managers because there just aren't many great managers.
Yeah as I was writing it I was questioning how you'd even define greatness. Plus it's a numbers game to some extent. A 25 man playing squad only has 1 manager. That one managers career can last several generations of players. Could you call Lampard a great manager when he's managed at a higher level than many other managers? Is Steve Bruce a great manager because he's had a long career? Made a lazy pun instead

That's because managers aren't given enough time. A contract should be binding and honoured IMO. I think Yaya will not find it easy to find a decent club in England given his off the field antics. And most chairmen would be worried he'd pull the race card on them if things weren't going well and they had to sack him for being a crap manager.

Good Luck to Yaya, I would like to see him make it.

I doubt that will ever be at the Etihad, I think he burnt his bridges with the club with stupid comments and his agent.

Can't see him as manager material. You need excellent man management skills. And seeing some of his outbursts in the past (cakegate and branding Pep a racist spring to mind), I'm not sure if he'd be the type to put an arm around the shoulder of a player who's struggling for form. But hey, WTF do I know?

Teams he'll want to manage:

City
Rags
Team I can't talk about
Real Madrid
Barca
Juve
German Rags

Team he'll get:

Brentford

That's because managers aren't given enough time. A contract should be binding and honoured IMO. I think Yaya will not find it easy to find a decent club in England given his off the field antics. And most chairmen would be worried he'd pull the race card on them if things weren't going well and they had to sack him for being a crap manager.
If Yaya does prove to be any good, he will get to manage decent clubs somewhere.

He may well have to work his way up but that is as it should be but if he has the talent, he'll rise up and club's won't be put off by his past antics as a player if he is not displaying them as a manager. Like any manager, if he gets that far, he will be judged on results / performance and the race card won't be relevant. If a club fears leaving itself open to such a thing, they have some big issues and are unlikely to be a decent club.

I do agree that managers are often not given enough time.

I have no idea if Yaya will be any good as a manager although I can't say that I ever envisaged him as one but I have heard ex-players say on multiple occasions that they didn't expect a former team mate who is managing a club to go into management.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.