Yaya V Scholes

What a player.......really possesses all of the skills. Easy to forget just how much we rely on him, the other forwards just waiting for his service.

Blue Is the Opposite of Blue said:
I believe their physical differences will always prevent a truly balanced comparison.

Scholes was a fantastic midfielder, as is Yaya Toure, but I always thought his game was focused entirely on winning the ball back and being the little scamp who attacked your ankles. From there, he had the ability to bomb forward either with or without the ball and try and get on the end of something. Most of the goals that Scholes scored were from knock downs or rebounds just inside the area.

Over his time in England I've seen Yaya Toure transform from a decent defensive midfielder into a fantastic central midfielder. I remember the days when people criticised Yaya Toure heavily for his opening 6 months in England, but as the business end of the season came around he just took a little push forward (most famously in the semi-final and FA Cup final) and added a completely new dimension to his game.

From there, he's become a powerful, marauding, unstoppable midfielder with a passing range wider than most players I've ever seen. He can play it short, play huge, sweeping passes from one side of the field to the other in front of the defence, and he's got an accurate incision hidden in his locker for special occasions. And this season he's developed an eye for goal, but I do think that's largely down to Fernandinho's much needed athleticism (something Barry never provided, as good as he was).

He's by no means a captain, and he doesn't half sulk when he wants to. He also needs to cut out his occasional petulance and "energy conservation" games. But apart from that Yaya Toure has been fantastic for us and will go down as a legend. He scored the goals which won us our first trophies, he scored the two up at Newcastle to effectively hand us the title, he scored the goal which got us going in the Community Shield again, and he scored the goal which eventually lead to us turning it around in the League Cup final.

A mammoth. A legend.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOt1P9yJrLs[/youtube]

Zinedine Zidane said that "the player we all aspire to be as good as is Paul Scholes."

Yaya is possibly the best player I have seen in my forty years of watching City. A central midfield containing the two of them would be something to behold for certain but who is best is simply a matter of opinion and nothing more. Both are technically superb and can retain possession like very few others. Strength, pace and power belong to Yaya; Scholes the better long range passer and probably better off the ball with tremendous movement.

oldius said:
Zinedine Zidane said that "the player we all aspire to be as good as is Paul Scholes."

Yaya is possibly the best player I have seen in my forty years of watching City. A central midfield containing the two of them would be something to behold for certain but who is best is simply a matter of opinion and nothing more. Both are technically superb and can retain possession like very few others. Strength, pace and power belong to Yaya; Scholes the better long range passer and probably better off the ball with tremendous movement.

Fair assessment and I'm glad someone has mentioned Scholes' movement off the ball. Here he can be compared to Silva (though to be honest both are/were so instinctively brilliant at this it would be churlish to marginally split them).

Aguero_Element said:
yaya, yaya has style, scholes has ignorance

Are you on crack!!?

Paul scholes was a phenomenal player.

YAYA is up there too btw - but give your head a wobble

Scholes was the better player, Yaya however is bloody amazing and i wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world. Some people seem to think that suggesting one is better means you're suggesting the other is shit when the truth is we are comparing two of the best midfielders the pl has seen.

Blue Til Death said:
No denying Scholes was a quality player, I liked him apart from his shite tackles which I don't think were malicious in the main, he just could not tackle to save his life.
I don't buy that at all. Strange how his passing and movement were always so impeccably timed, yet when it came to tackling we're meant to believe that he was just a bit clumsy?! No chance; like many of the 'quiet types', when he was frustrated he would really lose his head and lash out.

That said, he was definitely a better footballer than Yaya. Not much in it, but enough. Absolute class. The England team should have been built around him, not Brand Beckham.

Brilliant thread, completely elevated by the very fair assessments of the two great players involved. Personally I think they're chalk and cheese so comparisons are too difficult, but I've enjoyed others opinions. Can't believe you would get this level of neutrality and fairness on Rag Issue and its ilk.

My first experience of Scholes , as a young lad playing for the 'A's, and YaYa, playing for Olympiakos. I was sure I was watching future greats. Pleased to say I was right in both cases -for once.

They are completely different players. Scholes in my opinion is the best English central midfielder of the last 20 years if I take off the blue-tinted spectacles. Always in space, passing inch perfect, rocket of a shot. He's not a **** either, just kept his mouth shut and got on with playing football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.