yaya.....

FantasyIreland said:
I don't think Milner has the intelligence or discipline to play centrally against the top teams.Right now we don't have that second player in the squad.

Possibly a fit Rodwell could play that role.

dancity19 said:
FantasyIreland said:
Lavinda Past said:
Bifuckinzarre post. That's like saying that the best City is not going to have Colin Bell in it. We play football in the present not in the future. The present City squad is the best I've seen in over 50 years of watching the Blues, and Yaya Toure is the best player in the squad.

Enjoy!

Nothing bizarre about his comment at all.
We have difficulty controlling midfield against the more energetic/mobile opponents as this isn't an attribute Yaya excels in.
Subsequently,in certain games and situations,our team will operate far better without Yaya in favour of a player with similar abilities and industry to Fernandinho.

Milner in the middle with Fernandinho and Yaya just further foward is surely the answer. Milner posesses a work rate up and down the pitch and in small spaces that not many footballers do. Then that would allow us to have a potential attacking quartet of Yaya, Silva, Nasri/Navas and then Aguero which would be frightnening for any defence. Add Negredo into that at points too...

But then Yaya is pushed into the space where Silva should be, and Milner brings us pretty much the opposite problem as Yaya. All the work rate and stamina, but less of the intelligence and skill. Bit like the Clichy/Kolarov conundrum, we need someone who can do both, not one or the other. Replacing Yaya with any of our other midfield options just highlights our lack of true depth in this area, though that's not to say the team can't be better balanced without him already, like last night.

adrianr said:
dancity19 said:
FantasyIreland said:
Nothing bizarre about his comment at all.
We have difficulty controlling midfield against the more energetic/mobile opponents as this isn't an attribute Yaya excels in.
Subsequently,in certain games and situations,our team will operate far better without Yaya in favour of a player with similar abilities and industry to Fernandinho.

Milner in the middle with Fernandinho and Yaya just further foward is surely the answer. Milner posesses a work rate up and down the pitch and in small spaces that not many footballers do. Then that would allow us to have a potential attacking quartet of Yaya, Silva, Nasri/Navas and then Aguero which would be frightnening for any defence. Add Negredo into that at points too...

But then Yaya is pushed into the space where Silva should be, and Milner brings us pretty much the opposite problem as Yaya. All the work rate and stamina, but less of the intelligence and skill. Bit like the Clichy/Kolarov conundrum, we need someone who can do both, not one or the other. Replacing Yaya with any of our other midfield options just highlights our lack of true depth in this area, though that's not to say the team can't be better balanced without him already, like last night.

I agree that it gives us the opposite problem to Yaya. But as a short term fix. I also don't think that means Yaya necessarily occupies the same space as Silva. If he is almost in a gap between the Silva and Nasri line, and the Milner Fernandinho line it allows him to drive from slightly deeper without getting into that pocket of space. It is a problem though. Yaya is a starter for us- he can come across as incredibly lazy/immobile for us at times, especically in less glamorous games; but, I think we are at risk of underestimating quite how good he can be.

If we can have him in a midfield 3 just infront of a deeper lying 2, but behind an attacking trio then that could be the best option.

Seems like you're trying to accommodate Yaya because he's Yaya......

Unfortunately,i think his best position is behind the striker(s),this 'problem' then impacts on other players in the team,ones who are better suited to the role imo,subsequently I don't see an automatic starting place for him should we hopefully acquire a Fernandinho clone.

Like I said,i certainly don't want rid of him because he is devastating on occasion,however,i do believe we could perform better and be a more soild outfit without him when the opposition requires it.

dancity19 said:
adrianr said:
dancity19 said:

I agree that it gives us the opposite problem to Yaya. But as a short term fix. I also don't think that means Yaya necessarily occupies the same space as Silva. If he is almost in a gap between the Silva and Nasri line, and the Milner Fernandinho line it allows him to drive from slightly deeper without getting into that pocket of space. It is a problem though. Yaya is a starter for us- he can come across as incredibly lazy/immobile for us at times, especically in less glamorous games; but, I think we are at risk of underestimating quite how good he can be.

If we can have him in a midfield 3 just infront of a deeper lying 2, but behind an attacking trio then that could be the best option.

Don't get me wrong, for the majority of our games this season Yaya should be in the team. He is a very good footballer, that's not in question. When a team isn't willing to press the shit out of us for 90 minutes, and that's most of them, having someone like him dictating the play, keeping possession and occasionally wondering forward to score is fantastic. My angle is more that due to the nature in which he unbalances the midfield, because lets face his defensive and stamina deficiencies are fairly obvious, when we replace him with someone who can do the controlling AND the disciplined defending and running for the team, that's going to be a better and downright scary midfield to come up against.

FantasyIreland said:
Seems like you're trying to accommodate Yaya because he's Yaya......

Unfortunately,i think his best position is behind the striker(s),this 'problem' then impacts on other players in the team,ones who are better suited to the role imo,subsequently I don't see an automatic starting place for him should we hopefully acquire a Fernandinho clone.

Like I said,i certainly don't want rid of him because he is devastating on occasion,however,i do believe we could perform better and be a more soild outfit without him when the opposition requires it.

I am far from trying to accomodate Yaya because he is Yaya...

On several occassions I have said he hinders the team when in a 2 man central midfield and doesn't have the energy or mobility in tight spaces to be truly effective.

I am trying to accomodate him, because I believe, certainly on most occassions, it would be folly not to considering how devestating he can be with his runs, ability to score and his passing. It would be interesting to see how we would fare if he didn't play, but if you look at him against top opposition, more often than not he really turns it on.

Certainly not accomodating him because he is Yaya

Adrianr- his defensive and stamina deficiencies are obvious- which is exactly why I would move him out of central midfield against teams that press.

I think people forget the psychological advantage yaya gives you, he's undoubtedly suited to the top of a diamond midfield 3 but alas we don't have the player to slot in where he plays at present, milners a good lad but incapable of ever doing that role, rodwell or Garcia? Smahhhhhhh

Said it previously, gudogan in a 3 of

........... Fern.....gudogen...........
......................yaya.......................

Would send us mighty close in the CL and also allow for great rotation!!!!!

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
I think people forget the psychological advantage yaya gives you, he's undoubtedly suited to the top of a diamond midfield 3 but alas we don't have the player to slot in where he plays at present, milners a good lad but incapable of ever doing that role, rodwell or Garcia? Smahhhhhhh

Said it previously, gudogan in a 3 of

........... Fern.....gudogen...........
......................yaya.......................

Would send us mighty close in the CL and also allow for great rotation!!!!!

A good point. The Rags especially hate playing against him.

Well on board with the signing of Gundogan too. The only player I'd have ahead of him, providing he can get past his injuries (Although they're both crocked at the moment I believe), is Wilshere.

My problem with people saying we should have two players behind Yaya, is that he would probably be my 3rd choice out of our current players to play in that role. I'd much rather have Silva playing as that floating number 10 role, I'd probably rather have Nasri there aswell. I'd expect them to offer a more consistent threat than Yaya does and also press from that position better when we don't have the ball. It just feels like we'd be trying to accomodate him

BigOscar said:
My problem with people saying we should have two players behind Yaya, is that he would probably be my 3rd choice out of our current players to play in that role. I'd much rather have Silva playing as that floating number 10 role, I'd probably rather have Nasri there aswell. I'd expect them to offer a more consistent threat than Yaya does and also press from that position better when we don't have the ball. It just feels like we'd be trying to accomodate him

My thoughts also.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.