Yes I am going to enjoy this thread.....Sven's signings

BillyShears said:
People seem to be ignoring what they see with their own eyes, and using mindless stats to try and prove a non-existent point. Yes, when he's good, Elano's brilliant, but too often he's simply not in the game. A fucking luxury player who needs to show he can do it on a consistent basis before he can be called anything but...

No-one is claiming that Elano has been consistent.

But 1 good game in 10 is ridiculous, and you don't need stats to know that.

i fully agree
sven was brilliant with us and could have been even better if he was given the money he was promised in january. as it is thaksin went back on his word and barely gave him a penny. 5 mil for caceido and what was 3 mil for benjani. (going up to 9 based on appearances and goals) so he did a very good job to be fair.

BillyShears said:
EVIL said:
Cue avalanche.

People seem to be ignoring what they see with their own eyes, and using mindless stats to try and prove a non-existent point. Yes, when he's good, Elano's brilliant, but too often he's simply not in the game. A fucking luxury player who needs to show he can do it on a consistent basis before he can be called anything but...

Is no-one aware that the main reason for Elano going off the boil (and why he will probably storm into 2009) is that for most of 2008 his wife was in hospital, she had major probalems with their latest child which was born end of Nov and both her and the child have only just come home.

You can argue about professionalism and leaving personal life at the door, but it would probably explain why his mind has been elsewhere.

moomba said:
BillyShears said:

No-one is claiming that Elano has been consistent.

But 1 good game in 10 is ridiculous, and you don't need stats to know that.

Nevermind 1 in 10 - 1 in 5 isn't good enough. And I'd say that's roughly where his performances lie...

If our aspirations are of being a top 4/6 side, then consistency in performances is paramount.

fallowfield said:
The Petrov signing in my opinion was inspired though, and i'll always be ready to praise Sven for that alone.

Not arsed about the Hughes and Sven signing argument - but have little bit of info re Petrov signing.

We were told in the pub after last seasons OT Derby by Ali Macintosh that it was Stuart Pearce who scouted and arranged the Petrov transfer.
It was due to happen in the prev Jan window when SP was manager but fell through for some reason or other and so we got him in the summer instead.
No reason Ali M would lie about it

Having had the distinct misfortune to spend time with comical Ali M i can tell you that he hated the Thai takeover as it pretty much signalled the end for him using City as his personal (vastly overpaid) fiefdom, and he had clashes with them on a regular basis - credit to him tho that he kept his mouth shut for the most.

It doesnt however suprise me thast he spent his time deffering credit for things to the previous regime, i dont believe for a second that Pearce had most of Svens signings lined up already. He bought Elano and Geovanni on the recomendation of Dunga (his captain at Lazio), and signed Bianchi and Bojinov having spoke to Coppello. It was a case of phoning all his mates and seeing who was good and available.

jay_mcfc said:
I still read on here that Sven has left Hughes a load of shit...this thread finally disproves those idiots.

Actually, Jay, I think the word those idiots use is "dross."

Idiots is probably a bit lenient tbh.

jay_mcfc said:
Ok cast your minds back to the summer of 2007. After a pretty poor season we sacked Pearce after one of the most boring football season in our history. We had a pretty poor squad and were in need of a total transformation. In came Sven and Thaksin with £40m to spend (that's less than we'll end up paying for one player soon enough, Sven had to re-build a squad with that). OK so here's where the money went:

Elano-Quality footballer, doesn't need any defending.
Geo-Free transfer, can't really lose. Showing now what a quality player he is.
Corluka- Sheer class and we got our money back for him.
Gelson- Showed some quality early doors, many people said he was captain material. £4m and still very young...judge is out but he'll go on to have a good career whether he's here or not.
Garrido-Quality 'footballer', young, new country and cost £1.5m...brilliant signing.
Bojinov- Can't say too much.
Bianchi- Showed glimpses of what he can do, clearly a very good striker but not suited to the premiership. I think we got back pretty much what we paid for him.
Petrov- Quality, should have won player of the year.

Then came January where Thaksin had clearly tightened the purse strings. We were desperate for strikers and a right winger. The right midfielder never came but Sven did spend around £9m on:

Caciedo-Young, big and strong. Written off early doors but now starting to show the kind of form that has you thinking he can make it. £5m was a lot but he could repay us.
Benjani-Desperate signing. Proven premiership quality. Flatters to deceive at times, not the most talented but works hard and pops up with important goals. Not the kind of signing the fans really wanted but beggars couldn't be choosers at the time.

So Sven spent less than £50m and brought in 10 players....that's peanuts in this day and age. From the squad we had under Pearce to what Sven produced in the space of 6 months was a brilliant achievement.

I still read on here that Sven has left Hughes a load of shit...this thread finally disproves those idiots.

Ah, so Pearces' reign was the most boring was it? ;-)

Only a couple of weeks ago you were saying Hughes' reign was the worst football you had seen at COMS.

Anyway, the Sven time is one that I can agree with you on, in that he should have been given more time and money. The three season plan would have been great to see.

Corluka and Petrov were the real deal imo, although Corluka faded somewhat after a great start. Boj is untested but shows great promise.

The rest are inconsistent.

This IS a crazy time in our history and I don't think it's a real measure of where things are going by any description.

And one good game against Hull yesterday is but a blink in the bigger picture.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.