Yes I am going to enjoy this thread.....Sven's signings

kronkonite said:
If we had the £12M to spend in July 2007 we would have got Castillo then and not Elano.

Sven signed Elano by default, it was lucky he turned out better than Castillo as neither City or Shaktar thought he was at the time

corky

mean spirited petty minded drivel

Who stood in you?

Can't you remember last year before you were a City fan?

Apart from Petrov, the rest of that list has either jumped ship, can't hold down a place in the current team or is still at development stage and not ready for first team (Caicedo/Fernandes).

However you cannot compare the two managers in all fairness, because the regime SGE was operating under was unstable financially, lacked direction and clearly did not have the financial muscle, available to Hughes, otherwise you would have seen Sven in for more proven players. No doubt about that, but he had to enter the market for potential rather than proven.

The Petrov signing in my opinion was inspired though, and i'll always be ready to praise Pearce for that alone.

The Petrov signing in my opinion was inspired though, and i'll always be ready to praise Sven for that alone.

Not arsed about the Hughes and Sven signing argument - but have little bit of info re Petrov signing.

We were told in the pub after last seasons OT Derby by Ali Macintosh that it was Stuart Pearce who scouted and arranged the Petrov transfer.
It was due to happen in the prev Jan window when SP was manager but fell through for some reason or other and so we got him in the summer instead.
No reason Ali M would lie about it

Sven had absolutely no expectations when he came into the job, we'd watched a team who couldn't score a goal at home in half a season, somehow dodged relegation and with a new questionable owner.

He built a team that played the best football i've ever seen us play. He turned a bunch of relative strangers into a footballing unit.

Then around half way through the season, once every team had taken a look at us, our secret seemed to be revealed, our starting XI had plated all season and a mixture of jadedness and only one style turned us from the top half team, into relegation form for the entire second half of the season.

Now, with Hughes, he's got the expectations of breaking into the top four and playing football as "the richest club in the world" should do, (whatever that image is).

He was given a team which, playing one system with 11 players had half a decent season. I agree "Sven's dross" is complete bollocks, there was/is/will continue to be some very talented footballers who played for us during Svens season and many years to come.

Jay didn't want this thread to become a X vs Y thread but it has become that, and it doesnt work.

Two different sets of expectations, two different sets of circumstances and i think from the regime/style and ethics Sven instilled in his squad, is it really surprising that its taking a while to rip that up and start a new?

Im a big SGE fan, and think Hughes has lost the plot and should be fired, but I think his signings have been better, overall both short and long term. The only defense might be that because of SGE work last year and the Arab money this Hughes has had an easier job recruiting players

pretty funny how quicky peoples opinions change....

even so take hughes signings under thaskin and hes done much better than sven

Kompany £7m
same age as fenandes and twice the player

SWP £10m
The right winger we needed

Tal ben haim £5m
for 5m seemed a great back up defender with experience

Zabaleta £8m
Much better right back than corluka (who never really seemed to have a defined position)

so even tho your opinion is valid and propbably brought out of the uphoria of yesterdays win......i dont agree

elano 1 good game in 10 performer and has a shit attitude towards traning.
Caicedo took a year to show promise, but is looking a good player so i agree with that
corlukas gone.
fenandes looks like he will always be a back up defensive midfielder
bojinov is just unfortunate
petrov cracking signing
bianchi got shiped straight back which was a bad signing
gio never got a chance but even now you wouldnt expect him to be a starter for us
benjani, we paid over the odds for a guy who didnt want to come, i like him as he smiles when he playes but £8m was waaay to much.
garrido is going to get replaced at some point which says it all

lastly u didnt mention Jo was erikssons signing under thaskin, hes worth £7m at most so not only did he pay vastly over the odds, we also have to wait (even more) months for him to settle.....

DontLookBackInAnger said:
Im a big SGE fan, and think Hughes has lost the plot and should be fired, but I think his signings have been better, overall both short and long term. The only defense might be that because of SGE work last year and the Arab money this Hughes has had an easier job recruiting players
Hughes has had no Arab money.

Banned Tosspot said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Hughes has had no Arab money.

really, so tell me how the fuck did we get Robinho?

Bluebeer said:
pretty funny how quicky peoples opinions change....

It is, Elano was hailed on this board and even took the prestigeous place of Colin Bell as the top of this site for a while.

Now he's "1 good game in 10" and "has a shit attitude towards training" any proof of his attitudes in training?

Because rumour would suggest we're in turmoil yet half our squad have been interviewed in the last few weeks singing the praises of our training and we've just won 5-1?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.