York away documentary, City + TV

I always had the loss at Macc away down as my lowest point of being a City fan. But that's 'cos I worked with a Director who was on the board at Macc and took the piss constantly after we lost to them.

Might have something to do with me confidently predicting we would dick them 10-0 at their cabbage patch of a ground.

I bet less people watch the documentaty than were there on the night (isn't it 400,000 and climbing?)

When Craig Russell scores you can see me in the stand along the side just behind him....I can prove I was there! :)
I actually missed his goal. I was having a piss behind that earth mound. It was weird because a loud cheer just came out of nowhere. Only away game I went to that season btw.

I always had the loss at Macc away down as my lowest point of being a City fan. But that's 'cos I worked with a Director who was on the board at Macc and took the piss constantly after we lost to them.

Might have something to do with me confidently predicting we would dick them 10-0 at their cabbage patch of a ground.

I bet less people watch the documentaty than were there on the night (isn't it 400,000 and climbing?)
When did we lose to Macc?

When did we lose to Macc?

September 1998. But we didn't, it just felt like we did. And to this day my brain always tells me we lost. I'll go to my grave convinced we got beaten by 'em.

Either that or it might be the Belgian beer kicking in.........

Well, now could be the time I make myself really unpopular with City die hards!

First off I really enjoyed the City+ video and have total respect for those thousands of City fans who turned out that day at York to cheer on the lads only to witness a 2-1 defeat in December 98. I was a season ticket holder then but was based in the midlands and my away games during those dark days were all around here - Oxford, Shrewsbury, and Walsall stick in the memory for different reasons. I don't claim to have the badge of honour that is York away, and as I said, have total respect for those that were.

You will know there's a but coming..........

But I don't think York away was our lowest point. The facts are against me. As we all know, that defeat at the end of 1998 was in the third tier of English football and was followed by a gradual upturn in 1999 leading to the classic Wembley play off final victory against Gillingham. However, 10 months before, in the previous season, was my personal low point and there were many more thousands of City fans to witness it.

On Valentine's Day 1998, City were beaten 0-1 at home in a second division (now Championship of course) game against Bury FC. I was a season ticket holder in the North Stand at that time and the visiting Bury supporters shared that stand. They brought about 3,000 that day - their numbers no doubt swelled by Rags rejoicing in our demise. Those fans, their players, and their backroom staff and substitutes celebrated on the Maine Rd pitch like they had won the league, FA Cup and European Cup all rolled into one. And why not? (As Barry Norman would say). It was total and utter humiliation on our own turf against a side we hadn't played in the league for over 30 years and louder than Bury celebrated our fans jeered a truly awful City performance. Apparently (if my research is correct) it was 72 years since they had last won a league game against us and (sadly) they no longer exist as a professional club. My dad and I sat in our seats long after the final whistle watching on as the Shakers celebrated. Numb. Disbelieving. Broken.

Three days later Frank Clark was sacked and replaced by Joe Royle. And right there was the turning point. Joe Royle's appointment turned it around. Not immediately, we were relegated that season of course, but eventually. So great credit to the York crew but I swear that the folk who left Maine Rd after the Bury defeat felt it more painfully.

It does bear thinking though that had we won that game, we might have stayed up; the Gillingham final might never have happened; and all the consequent events leading up to Sheikh Mansour's takeover may not have come to pass.

Who knows? But that February day in 1998 was my lowest point as a City fan.

First off I really enjoyed the City+ video and have total respect for those thousands of City fans who turned out that day at York to cheer on the lads only to witness a 2-1 defeat in December 98. I was a season ticket holder then but was based in the midlands and my away games during those dark days were all around here - Oxford, Shrewsbury, and Walsall stick in the memory for different reasons. I don't claim to have the badge of honour that is York away, and as I said, have total respect for those that were.

But I don't think York away was our lowest point. The facts are against me. As we all know, that defeat at the end of 1998 was in the third tier of English football and was followed by a gradual upturn in 1999 leading to the classic Wembley play off final victory against Gillingham. However, 10 months before, in the previous season, was my personal low point and there were many more thousands of City fans to witness it.

On Valentine's Day 1998, City were beaten 0-1 at home in a second division (now Championship of course) game against Bury FC. I was a season ticket holder in the North Stand at that time and the visiting Bury supporters shared that stand. They brought about 3,000 that day - their numbers no doubt swelled by Rags rejoicing in our demise. Those fans, their players, and their backroom staff and substitutes celebrated on the Maine Rd pitch like they had won the league, FA Cup and European Cup all rolled into one. And why not? (As Barry Norman would say). It was total and utter humiliation on our own turf against a side we hadn't played in the league for over 30 years and louder than Bury celebrated our fans jeered a truly awful City performance. Apparently (if my research is correct) it was 72 years since they had last won a league game against us and (sadly) they no longer exist as a professional club. My dad and I sat in our seats long after the final whistle watching on as the Shakers celebrated. Numb. Disbelieving. Broken.

Three days later Frank Clark was sacked and replaced by Joe Royle. And right there was the turning point. Joe Royle's appointment turned it around. Not immediately, we were relegated that season of course, but eventually. So great credit to the York crew but I swear that the folk who left Maine Rd after the Bury defeat felt it more painfully.

It does bear thinking though that had we won that game, we might have stayed up; the Gillingham final might never have happened; and all the consequent events leading up to Sheikh Mansour's takeover may not have come to pass.

That's the game the fan ran on the pitch and ripped up his season ticket, wasn’t it?

I actually agree with this and have posted before: that entire period which led to our relegation in 1998 was the lowest point. I remember the Bury defeat very well. The whole crowd turned on the team too. this was the days when the loudest songs were "We're shit and we're sick of it", "you're not fit to wear the shirt" and the old classic which used to rise in the Main Stand to a howl around the ground: "What the fuck is goign on?".

However the lowest moment of them all only lasted about 5 minutes: the period between Gilliangham going 2-0 up and dickov's equaliser.

i can honestly say , i cant remember if i went to york or not, i used to go to most away games, but my memory is shocking, i can remember bits of things but not results or grounds i went to , i remember being at Walsall away, when their goalie at the start of the 2nd half ran towards the city fans with an old mans mask on, fred something or other , cant remember the score, but think it was pay on the door 3.50 to get in

and my lowest point was te defeat at home to huddersfield ,when it dawned on me, fucking hell we are really shit and we could be going down here

i can honestly say , i cant remember if i went to york or not, i used to go to most away games, but my memory is shocking, i can remember bits of things but not results or grounds i went to , i remember being at Walsall away, when their goalie at the start of the 2nd half ran towards the city fans with an old mans mask on, fred something or other , cant remember the score, but think it was pay on the door 3.50 to get in
Im the opposite mate. I remember every game I've been to and for the vast majority can remember the exact result too. Not all the mediocre homes but certainly the aways.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.