York Away

mcfc2607 said:
I never went to York away but I did go to to Wrexham away.

Wrexham away was the following game and it could be said that this was the game that separated the wheat from the chaff where fans are concerned

As York was the lowest point for the club it was going to the following game that was harder for the fans.

Remember Wrexham had the main stand demolished at the time and the pub on the far corner had a flat roof garden that was full of fans watching for nothing.

I Never missed a game that season and always remember still having to queue for 12 hours around Maine Road with away stubs for Wembley tickets - for those who moan about the current loyalty system, they need to think back to those days.

Lancet Fluke said:
Didsbury Dave said:
cheddar404 said:
It definitely wasn't because you couldn't get tickets. The irony is that it didn't sell out considering there were 50,000 who claim they were there.

I believe it did sell out. I read an article about it the other week (might have been our very own petrusha or Gary James or someone) written at the time. The writer had had to sit in the York End and he commented about lots of City fans doing the same. We had great away support in those days. I remember some clubs putting up temporary stands just to squeeze a few hundred more of us in.

It's weird but even though in many ways things were pretty desperate at the time, that was actually a great season for away games. Lots of new grounds to go to and unbelievable away followings and atmosphere at every match. It felt like we were invading little towns most weeks. The KK promotion was a great season as well but in terms of away matches, I think div 2 and the following season were definitely two of my favourites.
I went to a lot of aways myself that season and there were some great days. It was like going back in time a bit - terraces, fighting, fans in the home end etc. Ones I remember fondly include burnley and preston( went in their ends for both), chesterfield, Walsall, Grimsby(who put up a temporary stand), Blackpool on that frosty day where we had two ends. I went to more but they stand out.

having said that, I haven't forgotten how grim things looked on the pitch that autumn. We were in a right mess. But the second half of the season was great fun until gillingham went two up.

Rhlf68 said:
I was there and what a day out. Thousands of Blues out all up for a day on the piss. And who could forget being chased out the station bar while waiting for the train home about 7 oclock by the police letting their dogs lose on us. It was mental. Lots of other days out that season Millwall, Fulham Luton Wycombe Colchester Gillingham Chesterfield. All those away trips and I only saw us win twice
It was a good piss up but the 6 i was with mustv looked a bit rough, they wouldnt let us in any of the big bars like Yates or Wetherspoons, we had to go around all the backstreet pubs but there was loads willing to take our money so we were ok, momentous day out

Kakhaber Tskhadadze K.O.T.A. said:
mcfc2607 said:

Wrexham away was the following game and it could be said that this was the game that separated the wheat from the chaff where fans are concerned

As York was the lowest point for the club it was going to the following game that was harder for the fans.

Remember Wrexham had the main stand demolished at the time and the pub on the far corner had a flat roof garden that was full of fans watching for nothing.

I Never missed a game that season and always remember still having to queue for 12 hours around Maine Road with away stubs for Wembley tickets - for those who moan about the current loyalty system, they need to think back to those days.
I loved that 12hr que it turned into a circus, remember people in front of me going mad cause the ticket office were handing out tickets like confetti some were getting 4 tkts per stub for some unknown reason but stopped it pronto when fans kicked off.
Then all the vendors and Moss Side scallys turned up selling stuff, one woman was selling plates of toast, the offys on Claremont Rd ran out of cans of booze, our lot were pissed

blue underpants said:
Kakhaber Tskhadadze K.O.T.A. said:
mcfc2607 said:

I loved that 12hr que it turned into a circus, remember people in front of me going mad cause the ticket office were handing out tickets like confetti some were getting 4 tkts per stub for some unknown reason but stopped it pronto when fans kicked off.
Then all the vendors and Moss Side scallys turned up selling stuff, one woman was selling plates of toast, the offys on Claremont Rd ran out of cans of booze, our lot were pissed

ha ha - yeah, as four of us were getting tickets for mates, the others were bringing beer and food all day - we were pissed by the time we got to the ticket office. Always remember us all sharing food & drink with the people that were in front & behind, it was a good laugh but a bloody long day - worth it in the end ;)

Didsbury Dave said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I believe it did sell out. I read an article about it the other week (might have been our very own petrusha or Gary James or someone) written at the time. The writer had had to sit in the York End and he commented about lots of City fans doing the same. We had great away support in those days. I remember some clubs putting up temporary stands just to squeeze a few hundred more of us in.

It's weird but even though in many ways things were pretty desperate at the time, that was actually a great season for away games. Lots of new grounds to go to and unbelievable away followings and atmosphere at every match. It felt like we were invading little towns most weeks. The KK promotion was a great season as well but in terms of away matches, I think div 2 and the following season were definitely two of my favourites.
I went to a lot of aways myself that season and there were some great days. It was like going back in time a bit - terraces, fighting, fans in the home end etc. Ones I remember fondly include burnley and preston( went in their ends for both), chesterfield, Walsall, Grimsby(who put up a temporary stand), Blackpool on that frosty day where we had two ends. I went to more but they stand out.

having said that, I haven't forgotten how grim things looked on the pitch that autumn. We were in a right mess. But the second half of the season was great fun until gillingham went two up.
Yes, those away days were usually only great until Gary Mason got on the ball!

Lancet Fluke said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lancet Fluke said:

Megson

blue underpants said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Megson
That was ten years earlier. Gary mason and nick Fenton were going to be world stars. Paul hince told us.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Timmmmahhhh said:
I have been meaning to ask for a long time.

When was York away and what was the importance?

I only converted from a Chelsea fan in 2008/9 so I'm a little unsure as to the reference?

York away is so 'passé'. Top Blues did Swindon home!!

Thank you, my Dad didn't go to York away but he was at Swindon at home!

i went to blackpool away,freezing cold day in january and watched the shittest 0-0 in a stand that could only be described as a collection of corrigated metal panels thrown together to resemble a stand...

ah those were the days before money turned us all into nobheads!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.