York Away

I thought York away was high demand.

Mansfield at home was for the hard core, or maybe Ipswich away to get relegated on a Monday night.

York is too much of a jolly.

Lancet Fluke said:
mcfc_blueboy said:
My two mates had no previous ticket stubs as that was there first game.
Wrexham was on the boxing day and with no trains running and me being too young to drive, my dad drove me and my mate and went to the pictures behind the ground to pass his time by.

I suppose they probably will have ended up on open sale for the matches that had a decent sized away section. York, Wrexham and Blackpool had pretty reasonable away allocations as I remember, particularly Blackpool. I went to most aways that season and some of the matches were very difficult to get tickets for. As I said, my abiding memory is of queueing at 5am in the dark on Saturday mornings with ticket stubs, it was a fucking nightmare. I was paranoid/a bit obsessive and did that regardless of the allocation.
We took 5000 to that Blackpool match on that very cold day.

baildon blue said:
Lancet Fluke said:
mcfc_blueboy said:
My two mates had no previous ticket stubs as that was there first game.
Wrexham was on the boxing day and with no trains running and me being too young to drive, my dad drove me and my mate and went to the pictures behind the ground to pass his time by.

I suppose they probably will have ended up on open sale for the matches that had a decent sized away section. York, Wrexham and Blackpool had pretty reasonable away allocations as I remember, particularly Blackpool. I went to most aways that season and some of the matches were very difficult to get tickets for. As I said, my abiding memory is of queueing at 5am in the dark on Saturday mornings with ticket stubs, it was a fucking nightmare. I was paranoid/a bit obsessive and did that regardless of the allocation.
We took 5000 to that Blackpool match on that very cold day.

I remember we had the whole of one side and a fair number of fans were spilled over into the terrace behind the goal. It was a good day although the match wasn't the best as I remember. Mind you how often could you say that sentence about away days over the years?

york away to this! said:
you can all fuck right off.

I was the only person there (apart from Curly Watts....)

Bollocks. I was there with Stuart Hall

CTID1988 said:
york away to this! said:
you can all fuck right off.

I was the only person there (apart from Curly Watts....)

Bollocks. I was there with Stuart Hall

So getting a ticket for that was some sort of fiddle.

I definitely didn't go to York but can't remember if it was just too far (given I've been living in Thames Valley since 1990) or couldn't get tickets: I'm sure I considered having a weekend away there with my football hating wife. Could obviously only buy tickets from ticket office when up for a home game.

Not sure exactly which away games I went to but certainly went to Macc, Chesterfield, Luton, Bournemouth, Wycombe and Walsall.

Having been a York resident since 1977 quite naturally I was there along witha fair number of local based Blues who travel together far and wide. The game was on 19 December 1998, we were a goal down before the scheduled kick off time of 3pm. Craig Russell scored an equaliser in the second half before we lost 2-1 in stoppage time. Even to this day locals remind me of that. That was our lowest point but as they say "the darkest hour is just before dawn".
We had planned a boozy night in town after the game but I just couldn't stomach it.
Ironically we relegated York in the last game of that season and of course we went on to clinch promotion at Wembley. Our season picked up after the York game in a spectacular manner. I believe that it was a defining moment in our history.

PS I saw Curly before the game too!

Richard III has just been dug up. Wasn't he also known as Richard of York and if so did he go and how the f*ck did he get a ticket?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.