Yorkshire Cricket Club

Yeah there are potentially a lot of Asian cricket players who've suffered/are suffering in some way with all this, whether the guy that brought it all up is a massive prick or not shouldn't really affect this.

People seem desperate to forget his claims of racism have been backed up by 4 or 5 other people.

This is basically my position. Rafiq, it seems, is an antisemite and probably a rather unpleasant man. That affects the degree of sympathy I have for him and means that I don't hold any personal regard for him, whereas initially I did to some degree.

BUT. He's made detailed, credible and compelling accusations about YCCC, at least some of which are corroborated by other sources. There's strong evidence that YCCC as an institution has allowed, and senior people within it have encouraged, a vile and toxic racist culture to flourish.

It's beyond me that Martyn Moxon, Andrew Gale and Gary Ballance haven't been suspended pending disciplinary investigations. I also think that the ECB should take away Yorkshire's right to host international matches, rather than continue with the current half-hearted suspension. (At the same time, I do appreciate that they probably haven't because if other counties are drawn in and the same measures have to be taken against them, England might end up with nowhere to play!).

Yes, Rafiq himself is evidently a ****. That to me has no bearing on how matters should move forward with regard to YCCC, and I'll be very disappointed if the progress of events is affected by it.
He’s maybe not be an antisemite, he sent a couple of tweets 10 years ago when he was 19. I doubt any 29 year old holds the exact same views as they did at 19.

People seem desperate to forget his claims of racism have been backed up by 4 or 5 other people.
Forget implies that they knew in the first place. I'd wager almost all (but not literally all) the people latching onto these latest Rafiq stories didn't particularly believe him in the first place.

He’s maybe not be an antisemite, he sent a couple of tweets 10 years ago when he was 19. I doubt any 29 year old holds the exact same views as they did at 19.

Yes, that's a fair point. It makes pretty awful reading, but I'd hope that he's learned and changed.

I'm in my early fifties now so was 19 in the late eighties. I considered myself quite progressive back then and would have been horrified for people to suggest that I was racist, sexist or homophobic. Even so, no doubt you could gather comments I made back then, influenced by an upbringing in seventies and eighties Britain, which would be seen as deeply questionable nowadays and which would make me cringe if confronted with them.

Thankfully, they were mostly made in various student pubs so there's no permanent record of them. It's very different in the modern world with the proliferation of social media.

Yes, that's a fair point. It makes pretty awful reading, but I'd hope that he's learned and changed.

I'm in my early fifties now so was 19 in the late eighties. I considered myself quite progressive back then and would have been horrified for people to suggest that I was racist, sexist or homophobic. Even so, no doubt you could gather comments I made back then, influenced by an upbringing in seventies and eighties Britain, which would be seen as deeply questionable nowadays and which would make me cringe if confronted with them.

Thankfully, they were mostly made in various student pubs so there's no permanent record of them. It's very different in the modern world with the proliferation of social media.
I was homophobic when I was a young lad but that was the norm. You grow up and learn.

Looks like Essex are well and truly dragged into this now, and over 2,000 people have contacted the Independent equality in cricket commission to report racism they've experienced in the game in <2 weeks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.