Young Boys (H) | CL | Post Match Thread

That's the issue. We've a relatively small squad with exceptional players, hence why there's such a drop off in quality & effectiveness when "good players" like these two & Philips step in.

Scenario: We've an important match to play, & a midfield of Philips, Kovacic & Nunes.

The confidence is draining out of me at the mere thought, because I can't see a goal, a killer pass or intelligent defensive play from any of them.
Yeah if we have to rely on a midfield like that in an important game then we’re fucked. We need to be in a position with Rodri, Kev, Bernardo being supplemented by Kovacic, Nunes, Rico and Stones in less critical games. Kovacic and Nunes have to better if they want to be considered regulars.

I know what you mean but he could get injured in an important game just the same. He is injury prone I'm afraid. He is a risk every time he plays. We can't not never play him.
That’s true. It must be incredibly frustrating for him. Especially given how brilliant his form was towards the end of last season.

I do still think, given we play Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs/Villa over the next month that it was an unnecessary risk to play him yesterday. But that’s obvious with hindsight.

Well I was pretty bored for most of that game. Two nice goals worth seeing but the rest of it was like a training exercise. 8-0 wouldn't have flattered us. Not sure any of the fringe players did themselves many favours.

From BBC Sport page:

Ederson completed all 32 of his passes, the 32nd time he’s ended a game with 100% passing accuracy for City. Only three goalkeepers since 2003-04 have attempted more passes in a Champions League game while completing all of them (one of those was Ederson against Feyenoord in September 2017 – 33/33).

Yeah if we have to rely on a midfield like that in an important game then we’re fucked. We need to be in a position with Rodri, Kev, Bernardo being supplemented by Kovacic, Nunes, Rico and Stones in less critical games. Kovacic and Nunes have to better if they want to be considered regulars.
I thought Philips for the limited time he was on looked better than previously

Stones was MOTM in the champions league final in his hybrid midfield role. I reckon he's fine for big games. Don't agree we're fucked, but agree optimal is having Rod, Kev & Bern on the pitch.

Stones was MOTM in the champions league final in his hybrid midfield role. I reckon he's fine for big games. Don't agree we're fucked, but agree optimal is having Rod, Kev & Bern on the pitch.
Stones starts every big game for me in that role now because it's pivotal to our new system and nobody else can do it.It was noticable this season how much we improved out fluidity as soon as he was back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.