Your Best Memories of Maine Road

Nijinski's return, that Boxing Day 1977. I was only a child, but I'll never forget the reception from the crowd, when he came out for the second half. Jeez, what a moment. Apart from that, memories of The Park Side, the 5-1 against Charlton, THE 5-1 of course, against the rags. Beating champions Nottingham Forest 1-0 back in 1980. Comparing gear with the away fans, through the fence in The Kippax. The Platt Lane and later the North Stand. Happy times. But lots and lots of fookin misery :)

Beating the Rags on any occasion
Beating Everton in the quarter final replay of the FA Cup in 1981.....had never heard the ground that loud before
5-1 v Charlton the shear elation
10-1 v Huddersfield, simply because my mate missed it it on on a date!
Queen in 1986.....fucking amazing!!!!!

Sheikh Rattle n Roll said:
Beating the Rags on any occasion
Beating Everton in the quarter final replay of the FA Cup in 1981.....had never heard the ground that loud before
5-1 v Charlton the shear elation
10-1 v Huddersfield, simply because my mate missed it it on on a date!
Queen in 1986.....fucking amazing!!!!!

that game against everton i was in the corner between the scoreboard and the main stand, two blokes shinned up the drain pipe that came from the roof of the main, when they reached the top they had to reach over a big gap to climb into the seats. Talk about nutters.
Typical night match, everyone got there with about a minute to spare, and that night they were shutting the gates so everyone had to leg it to the next and so on

mcmanus said:
Walking down Santiago Street on a night match as a kid, getting to the end, getting the buzz and boom...... Maine Road lit up with lights. It was a dump but a beautiful dump.

My stomach doing cartwheels.

know that walk and feeling so well.happy days.

Walking the alley ways, paying 50p to have my car looked after, the parkside, going to the rickety souvenir shop, always hoping I'd see a BBC van outside the main stand, oh and having to wait to watch Dalian Atkinson make his debut v Stoke, because of a fire or something in the away end, that delayed the KO (it was worth the wait though because he scored both goals).

Best memory - Running late for a game vs Swindon, game delayed and we won 6 - 0 singing just like watching Brazil. And cheap Gene Kelly stand tickets!
Worst - Bloody own goal by Pollock.

Colin's comeback; the 5-1; Dave Watson's header against Ipswich; Rodney's overhead kick v QPR; Alan Oakes screamer v Bilbao; Paddy Roche; Jimmy Nicholl's own goal; the Osborne after Neville fed the Goat; Fat Bob's finest hour.

Too many fantastic memories...but unlike many I love our new stadium..and nothing will ever beat Sergio!

The Ballet on ice,the snow,the kings goal on the quarter hour,Buzzers incredible header.Playing killer in the Osborne before the game,Sherwood,Parkside etc.Misty eyed now.
Etihad is smart but not as lovable as Maine Road.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.