Your Best Memories of Maine Road

Getting beat by County sticks out, man I got some stick the next day.

Seeing the Leeds shite running out of the Platt lane at half time,they were all dressed up in white boiler suits and butcher coats which would have turned red if they would have stayed

Sheikh Rattle n Roll said:
Beating the Rags on any occasion
Beating Everton in the quarter final replay of the FA Cup in 1981.....had never heard the ground that loud before
5-1 v Charlton the shear elation
10-1 v Huddersfield, simply because my mate missed it it on on a date!
Queen in 1986.....fucking amazing!!!!!

All good.

Had a season ticket at Maine Road (started in North stand and moved to Platt Lane and then Kippax when each was rebuilt) from 1972 to the end so I have countless great memories in addition to the above; several of which have been mentioned in other posts.

Don't have many. Started supporting City about year 2000 when I was about 5, so the best memories would have to be winning the "Division 1" title and the win over United with Goater's famous double

Being a child, a stranger, but at home, bouncing with the kippax and screaming my lungs out for a team I never knew at that time would take my heart and my life.

Thanks you for the opportunity to get involved

bowdonblue said:
David Phillips smashing home the 5th goal against Charlton in '85 to cement promotion.

I was in the North stand, it was a sunny day, carnival atmoshphere, Maine Road packed and bouncing.

Truly a happy day!
one ov my fav memories that!! & "ONLY" 47,000 on that day?!!

21st December 1974 City 0 Wolves 0
The only game me and my two brothers attended together (my eldest brother sadly died aged 21 in 1980)
We had all gone to see my mum's auntie who lived on the second house up on Kippax Street from the corner of Claremont Road and my mum and dad let us go into the Kippax aged 11 (me) 12 and 15 while they stayed and chatted with great auntie Esther.
We sat on the railing in the middle of the Kippax.

From 1993-2003 walking from the Ducie Arms pub to Maine Road with my two daughters. We would pass Ducie High school and walk through the playground of Claremont Road Junior School - both schools where my mum attended and would remind my kids of their family roots each time.......

Games - City 3 Everton 1 FA Cup QF 1981
City 5 Charlton 1
City 10 Huddersfield 1
City 5 rags 1
Kinkladze's goal v Southampton
City 3 rags 1

For me it was April 1974 and it was a present for my 5th Bithday. Can still remember walking through the turnstile with my Dad and walking up what seemed like huge steps to go on to the Terraces. I'm pretty sure it was a reserve match against Leeds (however if any of the Historians question that, then fine I was only 5)

The main thing I remember though is the buzz I felt when as I climbed up those seemingly huge steps, the sight in front of me as the pitch came into view.

The odd thing is, I can't remember anything else about that day. How we got there, the journey there or home, what happened before leaving, what happened after we got home. All I can remember is walking up those steps and seeing the pitch for the first time and knowing I was in the right place.

The_Maverick said:
For me it was April 1974 and it was a present for my 5th Bithday. Can still remember walking through the turnstile with my Dad and walking up what seemed like huge steps to go on to the Terraces. I'm pretty sure it was a reserve match against Leeds (however if any of the Historians question that, then fine I was only 5)

The main thing I remember though is the buzz I felt when as I climbed up those seemingly huge steps, the sight in front of me as the pitch came into view.

The odd thing is, I can't remember anything else about that day. How we got there, the journey there or home, what happened before leaving, what happened after we got home. All I can remember is walking up those steps and seeing the pitch for the first time and knowing I was in the right place.

20 years after that for me for my first time there, but I feel the same. Funny how you ALWAYS remember the first time you saw the pitch. I've got mates in the US who tell the exact same story about the first time they went into a baseball ground with their dads. What is it about sports grounds and the grass on them? Seems universal.

But Maine Road. I came in toward the end of her history but feel privileged to have been there. Still remember the meat and potato pies. And the old City Chippy.

Remember the regulars telling young upstarts, "Thats my spot ". Some 7ft giant arriving just before kick off and standing right in front of you. Beswick Brass Band. 90,000 of us watching Swindon Town. The BIRD.
Also even worse for me than PLEAT, was a rag called Dawson (?) scored with his hand ala Maradona ,when everyone in the ground saw it apart from the ref stood 2 yards away. We had them even then. Believe we went down that year as well.
Best moments have already been mentioned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.