Your Best Memories of Maine Road

biggest memories are- first monday night game on sky v QPR, pitch invasion v Spurs in the cup, beating Leeds when they were going for title v United and my first flood lit game v Watford in the milk cup
Best memories are just going to the game really singing songs with swear words in them in the Kippax

adr2.8i said:
i really really wish i had made more of an effort to watch a game at maine road :-(

And by the way, could someone explain what a chippy scram is and chips and curry on a barm please?

Chippy scran is a chip shop meal.

Chips and curry on a barm is chips and curry on a bun (bread).

..... back on topic pissing myself laughing as a kid watching fully grown men walking around with inflatable fucking bananas. I fucking knew I was going to blue forever right there and then.

bowdonblue said:
David Phillips smashing home the 5th goal against Charlton in '85 to cement promotion.

I was in the North stand, it was a sunny day, carnival atmoshphere, Maine Road packed and bouncing.

Truly a happy day!

That was my first ever game, my dad says i was crying my eyes out from the noise when we scored but he just kept throwing me about over his head

Running on the pitch from the kippax when we won against Charlton 1985, then getting chased by the police horses and being too small to get over the advertising hoarding at the Platt Lane, so just waited thinking i was going to be trampled.

Running on the pitch v Wigan in the play off semi final, on the way from the main stand I shook Dennis Tuearts hand and said see you at Wembley. Ran onto the pitch just to get to the Kippax where my mates were. Good Friday night that was in town.

Climbing over the fence from the platt lane into the main stand at about 2pm. Sat in a sit until 2.55pm when a steward asked for our tickets. chucked us back into the platt lane.

Attempting to run onto the pitch v Spurs from the kippax wet corner and getting the gate slammed in my face by the steward, left a bump on my head.

Seeing my first game with my Dad. Walking up the steps to our seat in the main stand. Seeing the pitch for the first time. It was 1977 Boxing Day so lights were already on. Never get that picture out of my head.

Taking my lad when he was 2 yrs old to City v west Ham in 2003 to ensure that he actually got to the ground. We lost 1-0.

Taking my daughter to her first City game v Wimbledon in the once Worthington Cup in 2000. We won 2-1.

Taking my then girlfriend (now wife) to see City v Arsenal in 1991. Took her to where we then stood in the top left hand corner of the kippax, David White scored the winner. We all go mad, she looked what can only be described as very scared.

Quite a few memories, I have more but dont we all

Colin Bell`s comeback against Newcastle.

So pleased to see him back after all the rumours his career was over and also the best noise I have ever heard from the fans , it was pure emotion and can still recall it clearly.

There was something about walking down a regular terraced road and nipping down the ginnel and being greeted by the goliath old stadium with its shades of welcoming blues, brick and metal.

It being where my Grandad went, my Dad, Uncle, older brother, other family, neighbours and the like - it was home. It didn't matter if it was City, reserves, youth, Oasis (I wish I went Pink Floyd or Queen, but I'm too young!) or a local team playing there, it was always worth a gander.

The sense of ghosts and history, the smells, the walkways, the pitchside view etc is all missed.

28p for a Chip Barm from City Chippy

Walkin in the City social club with my Dad, Uncle and Brother into a wall of smoke ( like the bogs in the south stand now)

Buying cans from the offie across the road from the beehive and drinking them outside. No matter what the weather was like.

David White scoring against Liverpool when it hit the bar and bounce just over the line, 1991 i think it might have been ( the ball boy in the background holding his head) - One of my favourie scenes was on granada soccer night when he runs with his arm up and you see the kippax in the background going absolutely balstic.

Having to queue up over night to get a derby ticket and playing football during the night outside the main stand in the dark.

I could go on and on and on - Maine Road - what a place !

oh one more - crying when i went to pick up my seat from the north stand ( i was late to my mates wedding because i wasnt not going to get it, wife wasnt impressed in the slightest)

getting nearly stabbed by three shithouse reds V Hartlepool Utd in the cup.

I was just a young lad walking alone with my City scarf on along the road next to the alley where the side of the bus depot was.

Great memory that.

Red twats.

Changes you stuff like that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.