Your Favourite City Game

eastlands oasis said:
The 5-2 FA Cup game against Spurs at Maine Rd 1994 beat a very good Spurs team, remember John Motson saying it was one of the best FA Cup games he had seen

I loved this game but it was in the league not the cup. Also the Motson comments stick in my head - it was along the lines " in an attacking context this is one of the best games I've seen for a long time" or something like that. Bottom line though was that it was a magical game .

Apart from the FA Cup semi and final, and the other ones you've excluded, I'd say Stoke away the season we were in Division 2. One nil win, great atmosphere for a 12 year old - only my 3rd ever away game.

I remember with great fondness an away game at York City when we were in the third tier.... I had four tickets given me for nowt off a sales rep I had dealings with but attended the game on my own as none of my mates fancied it... managed to flog one of my three spares outside the ground to an Irish lad and it paid for my train fare.

night game at ot won 3/1 ithink marsh came on as late sub ,the city truly was ours that night

mancunial said:
For excitement it was everton away fa cup qtr final 81, it had everything that game, it was not a game we won but I always seem to think about that game as a do or die, on and off the pitch!
Didnt go to this game,but the replay at Maine Road oh my god.Supposedly 52,000 there but closer to 60,000.I was 13 at the time ,shit myself,also same year Notts Co home in League Cup when Dennis got 4 goals.Pompey away 85 and spuds home when we clinched Champs League.

gaudinho's stolen car said:
Hamburg at home was a bit special.

The win where we lost? Remember it well. Superb atmosphere and, at the time, the best ever in that Stadium.

The last derby at Maine Road was quality but I think I'll go for QPR away last season. QPR 1 up, then 2-1 up and we come back to win 3-2. Superb.

Statt0 said:
eastlands oasis said:
The 5-2 FA Cup game against Spurs at Maine Rd 1994 beat a very good Spurs team, remember John Motson saying it was one of the best FA Cup games he had seen

I loved this game but it was in the league not the cup. Also the Motson comments stick in my head - it was along the lines " in an attacking context this is one of the best games I've seen for a long time" or something like that. Bottom line though was that it was a magical game .

From a footballaling point of view the most exciting match I had ever been too.

It was a league game, It was one of the first game the new kippax was opened (bottom tier). I remember being excited to see Klinsmann but during the game it was Illie Dumitrescu who shone. Alongside Chris Waddle for Sheff Wed against a young Mike Quigley and Thierry Henry the best performance I have seen by an opposition player.

Paul Walsh was outstanding that day for us along with Beagrie running riot down the flank. Second favourite game beating Liverpool 2-1 at the start of the 1991 season. David White with the shot against the crossbar which was given as a goal after a couple of minutes delay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.