Your favourite composition from each of these Prog Rock legends

Funny group Jethro Tull, difficult to put your finger on. Some wouldn't class them as prog rock, certainly not hard rock - more folky, mainstream. Some very strong songs and good musicians. I particularly liked Iain Andersons voice. If you havent already, give Living in the Past a listen which is a double album compilation of singles + some live tracks showcasing their strengths very well
Tull and Ian are grossly under rated. A difficult act to classify for sure as they wrote over many genre's but they did it all very well. Ian is lyrical Shakespeare, his body of stories, bound, would be a fantastic book of poetry on it's own. The volume of work is tremendous. The compositions and musicianship are even better, superb, then add in Ian's voice, c'mon.
When you consider all the acts that are in the effin self serving R&R H.O.F. (modeled after UEFA? or the other way round?) you can see that many are not rock & roll at all, It's a music H.O.F. so on that premise it's an outrage to me that they are not in. Apparently Ian isn't bothered, good on him, but that's not the point, he/Tull deserve it.

Tull are a brilliant band. Definitely hard to categorise as they play a variety of styles but they were undoubtedly progressive at one point.

I've recently been enjoying their box set edition of Stormwatch, some of the stuff that didn't make it onto the album is excellent.
Stormwatch is mint. I've seen Tull twice, once pre and once post release Stormwatch. Was hoping beyond hope and said to the wife how much I hoped Dun Ringill would be played. The bloke beside me mustn't have heard of it before by the scoffy "good luck with that" look I received. Then they did play it, perfect.
I've heard various non released stuff here and there, but I'll specifically search this out, thank-you.

Tull and Ian are grossly under rated. A difficult act to classify for sure as they wrote over many genre's but they did it all very well. Ian is lyrical Shakespeare, his body of stories, bound, would be a fantastic book of poetry on it's own. The volume of work is tremendous. The compositions and musicianship are even better, superb, then add in Ian's voice, c'mon.
When you consider all the acts that are in the effin self serving R&R H.O.F. (modeled after UEFA? or the other way round?) you can see that many are not rock & roll at all, It's a music H.O.F. so on that premise it's an outrage to me that they are not in. Apparently Ian isn't bothered, good on him, but that's not the point, he/Tull deserve it.
They do for sure. That whole HOF is completely devalued though as it doesnt even have Kate Bush in it. Some similarities between the two, wonderful lyricism, groundbreaking musicality and a body of work that compares with or outshines the very best. Both acts very, very, British.

Suppers ready, but Los endos works live.
Close to the edge
Karn evil 9 part 1 and 2 Benny the bouncer for a giggle.
In the court of the
Aqualung.
That's about 3 hours happy music.
Better off here than the main forum mate, cheers for the like ;-)

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
Yours Is No Disgrace
Jerusalem
Bourée
Twentieth Century Schizoid Man

Genesis- Cinema Show
Yes- Close to the edge
Tull- With you there to help me
ELP- (no idea never listened to them)
Crimson- Starless (close to being the best song ever)

Stormwatch is mint. I've seen Tull twice, once pre and once post release Stormwatch. Was hoping beyond hope and said to the wife how much I hoped Dun Ringill would be played. The bloke beside me mustn't have heard of it before by the scoffy "good luck with that" look I received. Then they did play it, perfect.
I've heard various non released stuff here and there, but I'll specifically search this out, thank-you.

Great track. There's an early version on the associated recordings cd and a live version (there's a whole concert included). The whole package if 4 cds and two audi dvd's. I have not even listened to it all yet as it was part of my Xmas haul which runs to a lot of discs. Tull have released some superb special editions, I also have box sets of Heavy Horses and Too Old to R n R but I missed out on Songs From The Wood, which I'm gutted about.

Tull are touring later in the year doing a prog based set but Ian's voice looks to have gone and with no Martin Barre, I think I will pass on that. Saw them at what I think was there peak and a couple of very enjoyable subsequent occasions so will make do with those memories.

Suppers ready, but Los endos works live.
Close to the edge
Karn evil 9 part 1 and 2 Benny the bouncer for a giggle.
In the court of the
Aqualung.
That's about 3 hours happy music.

I've always loved Benny the Bouncer, makes me sile and Keith's piano playing is a real treat but then he is surely the best keyboard player rock has ever seen.

Anderson is a major talent and knew how to assemble a suitable supporting cast. Never had the recognition he deserves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.