Your first city game

Didsbury Dave said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Arsenal at Home 79/80 season it was Paul Futchers home debut and we drew 1-1

I was locked out of that one, or it may have been a year or two earlier, and my Dad took me to Old Trafford to watch united bloody reserves!
Hehhehehhehe as I recall it was a midweek game, we then played Liverpool on the Saturday and got hammered.

Saturday Februrary 1st, 1992, v Tottenham Hotspur at Maine Rd.

We won 1-0, David White with the goal.

Mine was QPR at home in either the 88/89 season or 89/90, can't remember the year but I know it was around that time as I was due to leave junior school that year. I will never forget the atmosphere, it was awesome. My older bro took me as our dad wasn't into football. We went in the Kippax and the banter was what got me hooked. Been going ever since. Quality.

DontLookBackInAnger said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I was locked out of that one, or it may have been a year or two earlier, and my Dad took me to Old Trafford to watch united bloody reserves!
Hehhehehhehe as I recall it was a midweek game, we then played Liverpool on the Saturday and got hammered.

This one was a Saturday, we queued for ages at the Platt Lane and were just about to go in when they said it was full.

Notts county i think 97, we battered them 7-1 i believe at Maine Road. Night game, was utterly mesmerized by the glow from the floodlights and the footballing ability of The Whitleys and Lee Crooks.

Won 4-2 Against Sunderland in the 2000/2001 season at Main Road where Paolo Wanchope scored a Hattrick

All i can remember was all the city fans cheering when Wanchope came back to defend and put in a slide tackle.

My first its quite recent, 22/3 this year. Sunderland at CoMS, we won by 1-0.The goal was made by Micah and I proposed to me girlfriend at half time. Lucky as hell she said yes.

Against Notts county in the League cup 1980 i think, won 5-1 Dennis tueart got four goals, from what i can recall!

Plymouth Argyle at Maine Road in 1987, September I think tho may be out. We won 2-1 - I can't remember our scorers - was 2 of Moulden, Adcock or Varadi (anyone with a good memory, feel free to clear that up for me). I remember Perry Suckling was in net and dropped a howler for their goal. I remember walking back to the car after the match absolutely buzzing, yet a little confused whether Kenny Clement's tash was real or not.

Paul Stewart joined us later that season and it felt like the come-back was starting. Twenty-two years later and I still think I was right ;)

Didsbury Dave said:
Derby Home, December 76, lost 3-2.

All I remember is that it was 2-0 by the time we got in to the Platt Lane and that we couldn't find the car after.

And I was fascinated by the crowd, the noise and the lighter flashes. I was counting them.

Dave, we actually won that game 3-2. It's the first I went to where I remember anything about the football, as opposed just to being in awe of the crowd and the noise. You're right that we went two down early in the first half. I remember everyone going absolutely mental when Tueart got the winner with a couple of minutes to go. City's three goals from that game are on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtLncPmGa8. Remember also watching the highlights on Granada the next day at my late grandparents' after Sunday dinner!

Like you, I was fascinated by the lighter flashes in the crowd. Remember spending about 20 minutes at one night game in one of the Cups against lower division opposition in the late seventies just looking at all the short little bursts of light in the Kippax.

My own first game was at Maine Road on Boxing Day 1975, City v Leeds in front of 48,000. We went into the game on the back of an 18-game unbeaten run in all competitions, and lost 1-0. I've spoken to a few people who remember the match, and apparently we battered them, missed a load of chances and Paul Madeley scored on the break late on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.