Your first city game

Wierd to watch that, Dyed. I have absolutely no memory of those goals at all. In fact to this day I though we had lost the game.

In terms of the football I've just got a few brief flashes of memories from those first few years - my Dad only took me to about 6 per season.

I remember Peter Barnes trapping a ball perfectly, at waist height, on the right wing in front of the Platt Lane. I remember my Dad commenting on Colin Bell "It's sad, he can't even run" when he was trying to come back. I remember Lee Chapman was a tiny kid for Stoke, and three Stoke fans next to us were slagging him off.

What I remember more than all of that is a mass chase of a load of Spurs fans on Platt Lane, broken up by a huge police charge. I still don't know what game that was or what the score was. Probably 1977 and my second game.

Didsbury Dave said:
Return of the Mac said:
M memory is getting worse so maybe some older City fans can help out. My first game was away to Oldham and im sure we scored an equaliser to make it 1-1 (can't remember scorer either)....was in the early eighties sometime...i know that may sound a bit vague but memory really is going. I do remember it pissed down most of the second half and my girlfreind at the time wasnt too impressed !

there was an Oldham away game where the heaven's opened as soon as the game kicked off, I reckon it would have been around Easter 88. hundreds left at half time. I think it was 1-1.

There was also one where it didn't rain but Megson scored on his debut and it was 1-1. this was a few years later I think.

this is all from memory but someone will know...

We actually won with Megson I think.

My first game 70/71 Coventry at home 1-1 Lee (pen)

Didsbury Dave said:
Wierd to watch that, Dyed. I have absolutely no memory of those goals at all. In fact to this day I though we had lost the game.

In terms of the football I've just got a few brief flashes of memories from those first few years - my Dad only took me to about 6 per season.

I remember Peter Barnes trapping a ball perfectly, at waist height, on the right wing in front of the Platt Lane. I remember my Dad commenting on Colin Bell "It's sad, he can't even run" when he was trying to come back. I remember Lee Chapman was a tiny kid for Stoke, and three Stoke fans next to us were slagging him off.

What I remember more than all of that is a mass chase of a load of Spurs fans on Platt Lane, broken up by a huge police charge. I still don't know what game that was or what the score was. Probably 1977 and my second game.

Spurs at Maine Road in or around 1977 would be this one, probably, which we had to win to keep any chance of winning the title and they had to win to stand a chance of staying up. We beat them 5-0 to send them down, and Peter Barnes took the piss out of the great Pat Jennings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPRA-GzQU4. My uncle used to take me occasionally in those days when my old man had to work, and that's the first game I recall him taking me to. Remember he got in a conversation with a Spurs fan on the bus back into town and him saying he was sorry Spurs were going down because they were too big a club for Division Two!

Clearest memory for me in those early years was perched on the wall at the front of the Kippax on Windy Corner at the night game at home to Liverpool at Christmas 1976. Loads of Scousers in there, but I don't recall any trouble (I'd have shat myself aged seven if a load of grown up blokes had been kicking off around me), just a lot of fairly good natured banter. The Blues were taking the piss after we scored at a corner at the far (Platt Lane) end in the second half but we got it back from them after Dave Watson's late own goal. For those who don't know, we lost the title to Liverpool by a point in 1976/7 - so without that own goal ...

Dyed, I don't think thats the game. I have no memory of it being important and dimly recall it being 1-0 or 1-1.

It may have been the 77-78 season.

Didsbury Dave said:
Dyed, I don't think thats the game. I have no memory of it being important and dimly recall it being 1-0 or 1-1.

It may have been the 77-78 season.

We didn't play them in 1977/8 as they'd been relegated.

MCFC Stats shows that we beat them 2-0 at home on 23 September 1978 in front of just over 43,000, with Owen and Ron Futcher scoring. I have no memory at all of that game.

Next time we played them at home after that was apparently on 12 January 1980, when we drew 1-1 in front of just over 34,000, our goal coming from a Michael Robinson penalty. I don't remember that one either.

I'm not sure whether I was at either of those matches. I went to between half and two thirds of home games in those years, and the 1980/1 season was the first when I went to nearly all the games.

If I was at either of the Spurs games, I'd have been in the North Stand. My dad stopped taking me in the Kippax pretty quickly (maybe it was a more violent atmosphere at that Liverpool game than I remember!).

Don't remember there being any trouble in that stand at any game I was at, for what it's worth.

This is great, Dyed!

it must have been the 78 game because the trouble was after the match and was on the street going from the alleyway behind the PL Stand up to Platt Lane itself. It wasn't dark, it was light so couldn't have been 12th Jan.

West Brom away, so long ago I can't remember when. Won 1.2 Lee,Towers and Astle. I think they went down that year

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.