Your First Derby Game

At the swamp, 1982 I think, Kevin Reeves scored for us with a header, finished 1-1. In the days when we used to get 13/14,000 tickets.

0-0 1974 at home when Macari and Doyley got sent off for fighting and the ref took both teams off. Crap game from what I remember and the rags went down a few weeks later

Maine Rd, Platt Lane stand November 1969, beat them 4-0. I can remember Ian Ure playing at centre half for them and thinking he was a bit shit. I foolishly thought all derbies were gonna be like that growing up !

Actually, now I think about, I think my first derby was at the swamp. Pretty sure my scum supporting uncle took my brother and I to a testimonial (87/88 maybe?)

The first one would have been a youth game at Maine Rd round about 1963 to 66 I think, I went with my Dad and we stood at the back of the Main Stand as it was pretty full by the time we got in. George Best was playing in the United team that day. I seem to remember lots of young girls in the ground just to catch a glimpse of George playing that night.
Haven't a clue what the score was or what the competition was back then.

First 1 i went with my mates was 85.
Big Fat Ron brought them to Maine Rd and they had won every game so far that season
(think they won the first 10 on the bounce) so inevitably they smashed us 3-0.

Plenty of battling in the Kippax which was great for me, a mouthy upstart at the time who used to love getting stuck in.
There were hundreds of Rags at the front of the Kippax trying to get on the pitch, but before they did "war" descended down on them. I recognised a few Rags from Heywood who we used to play football against, but that didn't stop me and my mates giving them a slap as they were spilling onto the pitch.
We saw them in the pubs back in Heywood later and they took it well by saying "its all part of derby day".
Really i think they were buzzing with the result, cos they really fancied themselves to win the league during that start they had, but eventually bottled it and came 4th

Maine Road August 1960.
It was 2-2 early in the second half when what seemed like a typhoon engulfed Maine Road and the match was abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch.
This was the days 'before' global warming!

Did you wear your colours?! I had a mate of about fourteen who swore he'd worn his scarf on the Stretford End. When I pushed him a bit, he admitted that he was wearing it under about two overcoats, with not a shred of it showing. I laughed like a drain.
I must admit that I never went into the Stretford End. But I always wore a City scarf when I went there.

My last visit to the Swamp was the 'Denis Law backheel' match. I was wearing my special City scarf. It was a college scarf with pale blue and white with a hint of maroon. A friend identified the scarf and took orders from a number of us. It turns out that the scarf was from a 'Ladies' College somewhere in London. I found this out when on the London Underground wearing it and saw a group of girls wearing the same.

The match had been fairly low key with United heading towards relegation. The late goal changed that and the United supporters got ugly (I know!). I was in the Scoreboard End and had to dodge a few nutters after the match ended. I got to Warwick Road Station and some bastard nicked my scarf and ran off with it. I could never replace it as my pal who sourced it had died at a very young age.

Did you wear your colours?! I had a mate of about fourteen who swore he'd worn his scarf on the Stretford End. When I pushed him a bit, he admitted that he was wearing it under about two overcoats, with not a shred of it showing. I laughed like a drain.
Not for that game, always did when in the the Scoreboard End or in the seats.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.