Your First Derby Game

y last visit to the Swamp was the 'Denis Law backheel' match. I was wearing my special City scarf. It was a college scarf with pale blue and white with a hint of maroon. A friend identified the scarf and took orders from a number of us. It turns out that the scarf was from a 'Ladies' College somewhere in London. I found this out when on the London Underground wearing it and saw a group of girls wearing the same.

Well now, here's the thing. The City shop at the end of the sixties or the beginning of the seventies did those scarves, both in home colours, exactly as you describe, and the great AC Milan-style away colours (black and red). Good quality, spun wool scarves that were really smart and kept you warm (unlike the polyester junk today). The colours ran lengthwise along the scarf, i.e. college style. I know this for a fact, because I had both. Somewhere along the line, I lost or mislaid them. Of course, they were not cheap, even at the time. They might have been as much as £10, I can't remember. But I'd give a lot for City (or their subcontractors) to run that line of scarf again. Easily the best City scarves I ever had.
I'm intrigued about the ‘ladies college’, though. Was it by any chance one of the constituent colleges of the University of London? One or two of the colleges were still women only at that time.

Well now, here's the thing. The City shop at the end of the sixties or the beginning of the seventies did those scarves, both in home colours, exactly as you describe, and the great AC Milan-style away colours (black and red). Good quality, spun wool scarves that were really smart and kept you warm (unlike the polyester junk today). The colours ran lengthwise along the scarf, i.e. college style. I know this for a fact, because I had both. Somewhere along the line, I lost or mislaid them. Of course, they were not cheap, even at the time. They might have been as much as £10, I can't remember. But I'd give a lot for City (or their subcontractors) to run that line of scarf again. Easily the best City scarves I ever had.
I'm intrigued about the ‘ladies college’, though. Was it by any chance one of the constituent colleges of the University of London? One or two of the colleges were still women only at that time.
Yes I remember the collage scarfs with the colour's lengthways,maroon,light blue and white.Me and my girlfriend back in late 60s early 70s had them.

I've never been to a city game but heard a funny first derby game story.
One of my coworker's husband and two sons, united/vidic fans, flew to Manchester, got tickets and managed to set up a meet&greet with Vidic before the game and had a jolly time. It was the Sick Swan derby and she said they returned devastated, sons crying and stuff. :)

Mick duxbury testimonial at the swamp in Aug 89 - city won 2-0. 1 month later at maine road for the 5-1. Then had to wait for the Goat in 2003 for next win.. Was in the pen directly behind the goal at the swamp when curle scored the penalty in 1-1 - beyond bedlam - still cant believe how white missed near the end. Lucky enough to get a freebie with work for benjani in 2008. Who would ever believe how times have changed?

Reactions: mat
0 - 0 at the swamp in April 1973, over 61000 on. Went with my red cousin, stood on Stretford End.
No queuing, paid on the day, no idea how much it cost. Poor game.
My first one as well, went with a mate, his dad and his brother as a present for his birthday. We were in the Stretford end paddock, still have the ticket somewhere in the loft
You're right it was a poor game, went again the following season for the same reason but in the United Road paddock, now that was rough, first pitch invasion 30 minutes before kick off, great result though!
First Derby at Maine Road 2-2 in September 75, ground was full of them as City made the mistake of selling tickets on the day.

Mick duxbury testimonial at the swamp in Aug 89 - city won 2-0. 1 month later at maine road for the 5-1. Then had to wait for the Goat in 2003 for next win.. Was in the pen directly behind the goal at the swamp when curle scored the penalty in 1-1 - beyond bedlam - still cant believe how white missed near the end. Lucky enough to get a freebie with work for benjani in 2008. Who would ever believe how times have changed?
I remember the Mick Duxbury one, he came out carrying his two kids for a lap of honour at the end. Must have touched a lot of city fans seeing him with his kids and all that. Gave him a really big cheer and sang One Mick Duxbury, theres only one Mick Duxbury. His biggest round of applause was from the City fans there. Blue and Proud that night after that.

2006/07 at home, lost 1-0.

Ball stamped on Ronaldo, Ronaldo won and scored a penalty, Vassell won and missed a penalty.

November 1994 old toilet. Manure 5 us 0

I was thirteen sat in the Stratford end and it was a night match. Tickets off of my dads mate, Absolutely horrible.

The result was as bad as it gets but the awful cold ‘champions pie’ at half time washed down with ‘champions pop’ was excruciating.

I wore my city bobble hat with pride though. And I’ve got the last laugh :-) life is a funny thing.

Can't remember my first Maine Road derby, my old man took me regularly in the 70s.

My first swamp derby was 1980 drew 2 each, loved it when they opened pen after pen in the scoreboard, we ran through each one towards the United road till you could see the whites of their eyes, loved the hatred, still do, each set of fans going for each other.

I think it may have been from a School rather than a College. However there were a large number of colleges that were not University level then but might have been merged into current Universities over the years. I just wish I could replace the scarf.

My pal Chris, who obtained them, died very young (at 28).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.