Your First Favorite City Player And Why

Derek Kevan.

Formed an impressive partnership with Jimmy Murray.

Still got his autograph I obtained outside Maine Road in 1964.....:-))

Clive Allen... the goal away to Chelsea.

Neil Pointon (I played left back as a kid)

Mike Sheron (don't ask)

Quinn

Michael Brown

Goater

For me it has to be Alan Oakes. I started going to Maine Road as an 8 year old in 1958. Used to go with my dad , used to stand on a stool in the Kippax ... those were the days. Whilst in strict chronological terms Bert preceeded him, Alan Oakes has always been my favourite. I saw him make his debut that season and I remember vividly him making a great tackle in the first few minutes and I turned to my dad and said "he's good". How right I was.

Whilst the likes of Summerbee and Bell get masses of adulation, I don't think we would have had the success we had in the Sixties without Oakes 8 . I have heard them make that comment.

What a fantastic career he had with us. As it happens I also saw him make his debut for Chester years later.

I know he was at Maine Road for the last match there, but I haven't heard anything about him since. Does anyone know how he is ?

DD said:
I didn't really have one in my first season but Tommy Hutchsion became my favourite shortly after. He was an old school wide player who just liked to attack the opposition. He was an entertainer. He also looked like a 60 year old bloke which kind of added to his aura.

I don't think my relationship with him ever properly recovered after the 81st minute of the FA Cup Final.

He was my first favourite because of this!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.