Your First Game

I remembered the game, the competition, the score, and who got the City goals, but as for the date I was stuck on "mid 80's". Thankfully the superb MCFC Stats site came to my rescue (what a shame the driving force behind this site passed away and it hasn't been updated since November 2009).

My first game was on the 31st January 1987, it was in the 4th round of the long since defunct Full Members Cup against Ipswich Town and we were beaten 3-2 with Imre Varadi scoring both our goals, I would have been 9 at the time. I remember missing Varadi's (I think) 2nd goal of the game as it came just after half time, as my dad and I were walking back up the steps at the back of the Kippax as I'd insisted on waiting 14 of the 15 half time minutes before declaring I needed the toilet. He wasn't happy.

MCFC V QPR 1993

City won 3-0 I remember Quinn and Sheron scoring can't remember who got the other one, QPR had Ferdinand, Impey and Sinclair playing thought we'd lose that day, who knew!

Matty said:
I remembered the game, the competition, the score, and who got the City goals, but as for the date I was stuck on "mid 80's". Thankfully the superb MCFC Stats site came to my rescue (what a shame the driving force behind this site passed away and it hasn't been updated since November 2009).

My first game was on the 31st January 1987, it was in the 4th round of the long since defunct Full Members Cup against Ipswich Town and we were beaten 3-2 with Imre Varadi scoring both our goals, I would have been 9 at the time. I remember missing Varadi's (I think) 2nd goal of the game as it came just after half time, as my dad and I were walking back up the steps at the back of the Kippax as I'd insisted on waiting 14 of the 15 half time minutes before declaring I needed the toilet. He wasn't happy.

That Full Members Cup game was unusual because it was a Saturday. Looking at the date I would guess it was the old FA Cup 4th round date, although my mind tells me that's the year we got to the quarters to get stuffed by Liverpool.

I remember it well because I was intrigued at the time as to what the gate would be. I seem to remember it was 11,000ish, about half our average.

My first game was Derby County, 1976. It was 3-2 and by the time we got it it was already 2-0.

Why Always Ste said:
I will get shot down for this but how most (if not all) posters on here seem to remember the exact first game they went to is somewhat beyond belief.

I'm only 27, so not exactly Senile (border line) so wasn't long ago that I was being dragged all over the show watching local clubs play footy....

Yet can I remember the exact first game I was taken to?

No :(

So, what was your first game?

I worship your ability to remember such a key moment in your life

I'm with you on this one mate, I'm 43 and can only just remember what happened last week. I have vague memories of Keegan scoring against us for Southampton and Trevor Francis getting sent off for a headbutt so I'm guessing my first game was 81/82 as for which precise game I've got no chance. Memories of getting the 56 bus from Belle Vue and an early Derby game but how people remember this far back never ceases to amaze me. I could blame my age but in truth it's probably the copious amounts of beer and drugs I consumed in my youth.

Blame the Drugs :D

I remember weird things such as the price of a Pie in the ground, or what trainers I had on - the car my Dad drove us to the match in etc, but the fucking match and who scored etc? lol no....

Didsbury Dave said:
Matty said:

That Full Members Cup game was unusual because it was a Saturday. Looking at the date I would guess it was the old FA Cup 4th round date, although my mind tells me that's the year we got to the quarters to get stuffed by Liverpool.

I remember it well because I was intrigued at the time as to what the gate would be. I seem to remember it was 11,000ish, about half our average.

My first game was Derby County, 1976. It was 3-2 and by the time we got it it was already 2-0.
We actually got beat in the FA Cup 3rd Round that year, 1-0, by the scum.

Matty said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Matty said:

We actually got beat in the FA Cup 3rd Round that year, 1-0, by the scum.

Yes we did. I lost my shoe at Old Trafford.

Home to Chelsea on 30th April 1994, finished 2-2. Last day of standing on the Kippax. I was 4 and I don't remember anything specific from the day! The next season was my first season ticket, half way line, half way up the Kippax first tier with my dad. Where my love for City all started!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.