Your standout City memory...

[/quote]
And against AC Milan and against Chelsea when we beat them 6-2. :-)[/quote]

Barnes against Chelsea was unplayable that day.[/quote]

Chelsea fullback got a red if I remember right.Twisted fooking socks an all.[/quote]

Was it Mickey Droy ??

And against AC Milan and against Chelsea when we beat them 6-2. :-)[/quote]

Barnes against Chelsea was unplayable that day.[/quote]

Chelsea fullback got a red if I remember right.Twisted fooking socks an all.[/quote]

Was it Mickey Droy ??[/quote]
sure it was Graham Wilkins ,titheads brother

Tony Adcock said:
Mine is a fa cup game more years ago than I care to recall.......

Huddersfield away in a 3rd round game. Bearing in mind we had beaten this team 10 - 1 a few weeks earlier. We went 1 up and cruising. Then the game went typical City and with a few mins to go we found ourselves 2 - 1 down.

Free kick 25 yards outlet of umming and arring as to who should take it. Lot of discontent in the away end.

Who picks up the ball.........bloody Gidman.

Anyone but him.....

He duly curls in a beauty........cue pandamonium !

Remember that game so well..when the fa cup was mainly played on a sat afternoon at 3pm..we took a great turn out on the Leeds rd terrace behind the goal..you couldn,t get a more typical city match than this-as you say cruising at 1nil before it all went tits up. The party on the terrace after the last min goal was brilliant.

Think we drew 0-0 in the replay at maine rd, before smashing them 3nil in the 2nd replay in the pouring rain on the open terrace back at Leeds rd.always did things the hard way back then!

Happy days

Typical City - great days !

The recent cup and league exploits have provided many wonderful moments, but my personal fave was at Highbury on a wednesday night, my first visit there, we went 2 down fairly quickly and I was thinking(as you would) here we go again another thrashing. However Mark Ward scored a penalty on the stroke of half time and David White equalised late on in the second half, and that goal brought the house down and the atmosphere in the blue end, on that night will live with me forever.

City 5 Scum 1

City 5 Spuds 2

Uwe scoring 4 v Notts County

Kinkladze Goal v Southampton

Wembley 99

1-4 v Blackburn

5-1 v Barnsley

Last Maine Road derby

4-1 v scum

3-4 v spuds fa cup

First win at the swamp for 34 years

1-0 v Scum fa cup

Winning our first trophy in 35 years

1-6 v Scum

1-0 v Scum

0-2 v Newcastle

Dennis Law's back heel. I was ten, with my Mum , Dad and brother in the Owed Trafford main stand. Pitch invasion, horses on the field, the works. Best feeling ever when those red bastards went down.

CTID.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRgAW_lvplo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRgAW_lvplo</a>

Standout - the game at Newcastle where we became champions

Worst - the deflection off Tommy Hutchinson that gave Spurs an undeserved equaliser in the 1981 cup final

Apart from some of the more obvious I think Paul Powers goal in the '81 semi final was a great moment in a match we were perhaps not expected to win.

As an out-of-towner (though from Middleton originally) I haven't been able to get to as many live games as I would have liked but here are some top memories from games I got to:

1979/80 Wolves 2-3 - First game; couldn't beat first trip to the Kippax could you?
Leeds 1-1 - First time I saw a lot of aggro

80/81 - Ipswich 1-1 Seeing Tommy Hutch and Gerry Gow in the flesh
Sitting in the Platt Lane for the first time - seeing my hero Dennis Tueart in the flesh

Palace 1-1 First springtime game at MR; Dave Bennett flying; Cup Final a week away

84/85 Blackburn away 1-0; Kinsey winning the top-of-the-league decider; getting chased all the way to the station; first away trip; Alex in goal; their fat ballboy getting loads of stick

Boro 1-0 - Kenny Clements being back - could the good old days of the late 70's return?

85/86 - Beating Liverpool 1-0 ; who could have dreamed it? The "Great Escape" as Stuart Hall called it on the car radio. Clive Wilson getting the winner.

86/87 - First sight of David White (flying down the wing then slicing it into the North Stand) at 1-2 hme versus Leicester; booboys getting at Andy May.

Beating Sheff Weds 1-0 with a beat of a free-kick from Paul Simpson.

87/88 - Losing 1-2 at home to Oldham and the ball bouncing off the bar and in off the back of Perry Suckling's head!

88/89 STuck in the Oxford end in the 4-2 comeback; "Megson.. you ginger bastard" as they shouted. Watching Whitey's deflected shot loop in from a mile out. Ian Brightwell scaling the fence.
Beating Swindon 2-1 and Oldfield looking like the bloke off All Creatures Great and Small.
Beating Stoke 2-1 and Beagrie scaring the bejasus out of us.

90/91 - Beating Norwich 2-1 and Steve McMahon being signed.

91-94 - Trips to all the London grounds: cheated out of a win at Arsenal when QUinny's goal was disallowed; the cupwin at QPR and Whitey's boomer; Vonky-Vonky in the mosh pit there; miserable games at Wimbledon (train broke down - got there halftime in the rain; uncovered end; lost) and SPurs (Rick Holden - no shots I can recall - lost 0-1); first sight of Rosler in a 1-1 at QPR. Hammered 0-3 at Highbury on a sunny summer day under Horton and Uwe sent off.

95 - Seeing Uwe back four past Notts County in the Cup; Wonderful first sight of Gio as we beat Villa 1-0 in a glorious atmosphere; watching Gerry Creaney trying to play midfield against Rud Gullit in a 0-1; nearly freezing to death at Blckburn as Batty beat Immel from 35 yards!
Battered at Newcastle 1-3 with Creaney kissing is badge and Edgie getting sent off.
96 - The Newcastle 3-3 (perhaps the most entertaining City game I've seen; Gio kicking the ball to me!) Asprilla's head-butt.

96/97 Beating Brum 1-0 with the Pig Bruce kicking Gio all over the park; beating Norwich with a Dickov chip. The misery of 0-1 at home to Port Vale with flu.

97/98 - The Burnley pre-season game when Bradbury was gonna rule.
Sunderland 1-3, Kernaghan off, Gio great and shiteness all round.

98/99 - Lots of laughs. 0-0 at home to Wrexham with the girlfriend (how she enjoyed that spectacle); Macc 2-0 and Gareth Taylor; 1-0 versus Wigan and that red goalie messing it up; the unforgettable day at Wembley. horrible Preston fans spitting at our kidfans at Deepdale.

99/2000 - Great year. Beating Norwich with Kennedy getting 2 late ones. Lots of other games with the Goat banging them in.

2000/2001 - Beckham scoring after about 20 seconds as we enjoyed our first derby in years! Looking toothless in a 0-0 v Derby. Watching the Goat win it at the Toon. Seeing Tiatto's wonder goal disallowed v the Boro.

2001/2002 - Great fun. Huckerby bagging loads. Final day v Barnsley! Lots of games in windy corner.

2002/2003 - Great to be back in Prem. Watching Mr Foe bag a couple v Sunderland. Missing Shearer's first minute goal at the Toon as still in pub. Sun Jihai and the Goat scoring at Sunderland. Paying £50 to see us lose 0-5 at Chelsea!

2003/2004 - Barcelona in first game at the Etihad. Losing 0-3 at home to Leicester in miserable rain on my birthday.

2004/2005 - Child-rearing; can't remember it.

2005/2006 - Great corporate prawn sandwiches day at the Toon. Owen winning it for them. Sibierski headed an open goal straight at Given. Nice win at Sunderland with Sincs and Vass scoring.

2006/2007 - Horrible season. Horrible year.

2009/2010 - Burnley 3-3 and the away-end rocking! LIverpool 0-0 and nearly freezing to death in one sock in the snow after a booze-up. Mancini tactics boring the arses off everyone.

2010/2011 - The Cup Final!!! Beating Chelsea at home with a Tevez classic.
Beating Villa 4-0 and Balo stroking in the penalties. Beating Blackpool and making a big meal of it.

2011/12 - Seeing us batter WBA 4-0 as the pressure was off.

Wish I could be there on Sunday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.