Your worst ever City game witnessed?

Re: Your worst ever City game witnessed? (merged)

Notts County away in the FA Cup 0-1 Gary Lund 90th minute after we'd battered them for 89 minutes. I seem to remember it came from us having a corner and for some inexplicable reason we sent everyone up for it even though a draw and back to our place would have been a decent enough result. Of recent times the Everton game from last season was pretty dire, they beat us again and even though I had about 7 pairs of socks on I still couldnt feel my feet after about 25 minutes. The themometer in the car read -9 when we got back to it afterwards.

There are far, far too many to pick one.

Although reading back the match report from the OP, I have a feeling my brain has systematically forgotten everything except City chances and thus I have warm rosy remembrance of our dire times - except for Jan-March 2007 until Pearce finally managed to find Needles who scored a couple of goals and finally livened up our entire season. That was a great season, wasn't it?

I even enjoyed us winning 4-2 at Stoke, the reality just didn't hit home at all, I was in a completely hilarious daze for the entire 98-99 season, I suspect concussion.

Bluemoon dan said:
Notts County away in the FA Cup 0-1 Gary Lund 90th minute after we'd battered them for 89 minutes. I seem to remember it came from us having a corner and for some inexplicable reason we sent everyone up for it even though a draw and back to our place would have been a decent enough result. Of recent times the Everton game from last season was pretty dire, they beat us again and even though I had about 7 pairs of socks on I still couldnt feel my feet after about 25 minutes. The themometer in the car read -9 when we got back to it afterwards.
Remember spitting on the floor outside a pub in The Shambles (for scientific research I add). It froze within seconds. And then to the game.
Another that springs to mind is Blackpool away in the old Second. Cold, windy, two teams trying to kick it higher and further than the other. Devoid of goals, action, and anything near skill or talent. A particular disappointment considering I was especially giddy pre-match as living local.

There have been dozens. Not sure if losing 4-2 to Southampton in 1987 has been mentioned - I think city went bottom after that game and the players got dog's abuse, particularly Clive Wilson - which was totally uncalled for

Bit of a weird one this but a notable mention for the 2-1 home defeat to Spurs in 2006 when Huddlestone scored an asbolute peach of a goal against Weaver.

That games sticks out for a few reasons which I'll try to sum up.

I'm 20 and I grew up with City being shit so it's all I really knew. I've got good memories of the game against Bury at Maine Road and walking back outside the Main Stand were thousands of City fans were singing, "We're shit, and we know we are..." and some bloke walked past me and said, "...but we'll be back next week.." which has always stuck in my mind and will always stick in my mind. When we went down in 1998, I remember watching the game and it hurting but I really didn't understand the magnitude of it. I guess I do now! I've been lucky enough to watch some shit games at the right age if I'm honest, great for character building!

Oldham, 1-2, 1999 at Maine Road. I vividly remember us being completely shite that day.
Charlton, 1-4, Christmas 2000 at Maine Road. That Jensen goal and Huckerby's debut.
Leeds, 0-4, 2000-01 at Maine Road. Sat with Leeds fans.
Wimbledon, 0-4, 2001-02 at Maine Road. Horrible.
Spurs, 0-0, 2003-04. at COMS. *yawn*
Leicester, 0-3, 2003-04 at COMS. Shocking team selection, Berkovic on his way out and we looked dog.
Charlton, 0-0, Aston Villa, 0-2, Wigan, 0-1, Blackburn, 0-3, Reading, 0-2, all in 2007 at COMS.

I remember feeling something I'd never felt before at a football match during these games, boredom. I was genuinely bored at games and falling out of love with football, losing my passion. The reason I highlight the Spurs game (above) is because it was the first time I didn't celebrate a City goal. (Barton's close range volley). I haven't done that since. The ground was half full, everyone was bored, we looked incapable of winning a game, Spurs were fielding a slightly weakened team and we had a 34+ Paul Dickov to call upon. That was the first time that season where I realised just how dull/bad City could become.

bored at work said:
There have been dozens. Not sure if losing 4-2 to Southampton in 1987 has been mentioned - I think city went bottom after that game and the players got dog's abuse, particularly Clive Wilson - which was totally uncalled for

Paul Stewart's debut. I remember looking forward to this game because of our new signing.

The Real Div 3 - Dec 12th 1998 - Home to Bristol Rovers.
So dire both sides were lucky to get 0.

Match reports & comment can be found here if you really want to share the misery.
<a class="postlink" href="http://mcivta.com/mcivta/4/58.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mcivta.com/mcivta/4/58.html</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://mcivta.com/mcivta/4/59.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mcivta.com/mcivta/4/59.html</a>

The only good news is that we started to play reasonably well subsequent to this game.

Must be one of the home games under Alan Ball. I don't want to speak ill of the dead so i can't nominate one in particular.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.