Your worst ever City game witnessed?

Re: Your worst ever City game witnessed? (merged)

Chris Mac said:
I've had many, many bad days out with City but the one when I felt most despondent at the end was away at Oldham in the FA Cup a few years ago. It was freezing cold, windy as fook and the game was in doubt up until about 1pm on the day. City were atrocious and lost 1-0. I have never felt so pissed off after a game as that day, frozen, crap transport and I think the only thing that saved the day was going on a bender after it to drown my sorrows !

That was the day of the Carlisle Floods. I listened to the match on the radio, wishing I'd gone. Although we live well away from the main flooded area we had no power around here for 2 days. At least you could find a warm pub to go to after game. I couldn't !

How can anyone narrow this down to one match.

I started going to Maine Road as a boy in the late 50's, I soon witnessed what was to become a familiar experience over the years. On January 9th 1960 we had a 3rd round FA cup match at home, City of the 1st division drawn against Southampton of the 3rd division - result we lost 5-1. I can recall being stood against the wall behind Bert Trautmann's goal as he bent to pick the ball up a 5th time - his face said it all.
Since then there have been too many "worst ever City game's".
In recent years the away game at Wycombe discussed last week was my personal nadir, the enormity of how bad we were really hit home. In previous poor performances I came away optimistic and sure we would bounce back , after Wycombe I was genuinely depressed with no hope!

The real heartbreakers for someone of the 1967 vintage (born 1967):-

1. Arsenal in 78 League Cup Quarters replay
2. Shrewbsury
3. Halifax
4. Ricky Villa
5. Coventry 1-3 (Bodak) - dreaming of Wembley again
6. Luton 83
7. Newcastle 1-2 84 - knew we weren't coming back up
8. QPR 0-4 1992 - knew we were out of the Championship Race
9. Spurs 2-4 1993 - it was our year; hurt like hell
9A. Man U 2-3 1993 - up at home 2-0!!
9B. City 1 Forest 2 LCReplay - we had become pathetic
10. Man U 0-5 1994
11. Crystal Palace 0-4 1995 LCQF - it was ours to lose and boy did we!;
12. Wimbledon 0-3 Easter 1996 - we really were gonna go down;
13. Lincoln 1-4 1997 - don't get worse than that;
14. Huddersfield 0-1 1997 - we had gone backwards and weren't coming up;
15. Bury 0-1 1998 - in fact we were going down;
16. Man U 0 Derby 1 - 2001 - bloody rags, who could believe it!
17. City 1 West Ham 2 FAC 2006 - Sun Jihai you tit!!!!
18. City v Blackburn 0-2 FAC 2007 - good god..
18A. City 0 Spurs 2 LCQF - 10 men and we f''d it up
19. City 1 Chelsea 3 - 2008 - another false dawn;
20. City 2 Liverpool 3 - 2008 Zabaleta you knob!
21. City lost to Brighton on pens 2008 - @:&!!!!!
22. City 0 Forest 3 FAC 2009
23. City 3 Utd 4 - 2009 - Fergietime
24. Utd 3 City 1 LCSFII 2010 - Shrek :((((
25. City 0 Spurs 1 2010 - Crouch you .....

If I had to pick one for pain it would be the 2-4 v Spurs in the Cup in 1993

MCC said:
Losing to Stockport County away.

That is certainly one of the most depressing matches I have been to. I don't usually leave matches early but I fucked off to the pub at half time that day. Also the 3 all derby at Maine Road in 1990 was a sickener, bothered me more than the 2-3 in 93 and the 5-0 at the swamp for some reason.

Le Grand Fromage said:
How can anyone narrow this down to one match.

I started going to Maine Road as a boy in the late 50's, I soon witnessed what was to become a familiar experience over the years. On January 9th 1960 we had a 3rd round FA cup match at home, City of the 1st division drawn against Southampton of the 3rd division - result we lost 5-1. I can recall being stood against the wall behind Bert Trautmann's goal as he bent to pick the ball up a 5th time - his face said it all.
Since then there have been too many "worst ever City game's".
In recent years the away game at Wycombe discussed last week was my personal nadir, the enormity of how bad we were really hit home. In previous poor performances I came away optimistic and sure we would bounce back , after Wycombe I was genuinely depressed with no hope!

Wow - I'd almost forgotten that Southampton game. Now that WAS a bad day. Even worse than Halifax at the time. You and I are of the same generation - I remember as a kid it was really was a sickener. In those days the gulf between Div 1 and Div 3 was a lot wider than it is now. It was a major shock.

They had a centre forward called Derek Reeves who scored 4 (I think) and a young Terry Paine on the wing ran us ragged. That season was the start of City's eventual slide into the old Div 2 a couple of years later.

Agree with all those mentioned. Cant see if anybody has chosen Blackpool in the league cup (or whatever it was called ). Absolutely sub zero degrees 0-0 went to extra time (when most had been praying for anybody to score) and then we lost on penalties. Paul Stewart blazed one wide if memory serves.

Losing to Oxford at home 2-3, i think it was 1997
Reading at home 2007
Stockport twice at Edgeley Park
United at home 2010
West Ham fa cup 2006
Blackburn fa cup 2007
Oldham fa cup 2005
Middlesbrough 8-1

Anybody mentioned the 8-1 against middlesbrough ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.