Youtube Sucks

Been reading a few reviews about the 'Brave' browser, majority of which are very positive, though a few also point out having issues accessing or not being able to open their Gmail accounts & features!

Are there any such issues currently?

Are there any cons/negatives associated with the 'Brave' browser?

I pay for it from Malaysia with a student discount. It works out at around £2 a month. Well worth the price since they started the BS messages about ad-blocker. Also means I can actually watch on the TV or phone without wanting to kill myself.

Having said that, they're basically advertising something they can't actually provide. 'Ad-free' actually only means that the Youtube ads (which admittedly are the most annoying) are missing, but they have no control over adverts that content creators choose to include. Thankfully, most put time stamps on them nowadays so they're easy to skip.

The worst one is Spotify. I paid for premium for no adverts, and they sneakily word it to mean 'no adverts' only during music. Got halfway through a podcast and had to sit through an advert for something. I was so pissed off.

This is increasingly becoming a thing. Rumours are that Netflix and Amazon are both going to change their cheapest package to include adverts and make you subscribe to a more expensive package to get rid of them. But by that time, the damage will already be done. The advantage of subscription-based TV is that shows are made for the viewers. When it's funded by advertising, shows are made for the advertisers. That means lots of mindless wank with a broad appeal that everyone will forget about in 5 years. There's a reason why most of the best American TV of the past 20 years has come out of HBO.

I used to sit in the lounge and watch the YouTube app on my TV but it’s gotten the stage where I now will go out of my way to go and camp in my office upstairs if I want to watch something. No way I’m sat here for about 5 minutes of adverts to watch a 20 minute video. That’s the entire reason I stopped watching regular TV.

The worst part is the YouTube TV app is incredibly buggy and has been across three different TVs I’ve owned in two different properties. It sticks and loads, and sometimes jumps back in the video for no reason, then an ad comes on and of course that always plays fucking flawlessly.

On desktop, Ublock + Firefox does the trick. Firefox is one of the only browsers not based on Chromium (another Google product) which is part of how they stop ad blockers working on other browsers.

The worst part is the YouTube TV app is incredibly buggy and has been across three different TVs I’ve owned in two different properties. It sticks and loads, and sometimes jumps back in the video for no reason, then an ad comes on and of course that always plays fucking flawlessly.
Nothing worse than waiting for BBC iPlayer to load on a dodgy internet connection via a VPN only to find that I've spent 30 seconds waiting for it to load a fucking advert for a show I'm not interested in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.