Zabaleta has 'agreed to join West Ham'

Well maffeo not playing is down to pep, and if he did say he never got a chance because we had zab and sagna that's a cop out on his part and a poor excuse, especially when he doesn't mind playing midfielders in that position instead or the RB.
He's played midfielders in that position only when both right backs have been unavailable, Maffeo went on loan because he needed more time on the pitch than the 5 or so games this has happened in.
Zab has been back to fitness and when played has done fine for us, yes he hasn't got 3 games a week in him anymore
He hasn't, he's been turned inside out by pretty much every winger with a bit of pace.
an old head who loves the club and bleeds blue blood is invaluable, you rhink terry for wxample or giggs were kept on pass their best because they were gonna play every week or were gonna set the league on fire?
For me he should stay and not purely on sentiment, but because he is the heart of the fans in the dressing room.
This is a good point but not if we take it to the stage that the rags or Milan did (as we're close to doing now) where we completely neglect the future of the squad in favour of keeping the same old tired players. If we're keeping players for this role I'd rather it be players that can still be trusted to play at the highest level - Silva and Aguero.

He's played midfielders in that position only when both right backs have been unavailable, Maffeo went on loan because he needed more time on the pitch than the 5 or so games this has happened in.

He hasn't, he's been turned inside out by pretty much every winger with a bit of pace.

This is a good point but not if we take it to the stage that the rags or Milan did (as we're close to doing now) where we completely neglect the future of the squad in favour of keeping the same old tired players. If we're keeping players for this role I'd rather it be players that can still be trusted to play at the highest level - Silva and Aguero.

Navas the last 2 games with zab on the bench suggests different about choosing a midfielder ony.when RB is unavailable , and Pep decided to loan maffeo when he could have given him the chance here, both right backs have looked past their prime so no one would has critised the decision, only needed game time because pep never took a chance on him after he impressed in those 5 appearances.

As for keeping the old guard on, I am notr wanting them too stifflimg new younger talent, but Zabs love for the club and passion is why I would exclude him from the cull.

Navas the last 2 games with zab on the bench suggests different about choosing a midfielder ony.when RB is unavailable , and Pep decided to loan maffeo when he could have given him the chance here, both right backs have looked past their prime so no one would has critised the decision, only needed game time because pep never took a chance on him after he impressed in those 5 appearances.

As for keeping the old guard on, I am notr wanting them too stifflimg new younger talent, but Zabs love for the club and passion is why I would exclude him from the cull.
Guardiola has already said that Zaba wasn't 100% fit, it was fairly widely reported that he picked up a thigh strain on international duty. I'd suggest he was on the bench for emergencies only and we're trying to insure we have at least 1 fit right back for the run in seeing as Sagna has a nasty ankle injury.

As for stifling young talent, would you agree we need a new first choice right back next season?

Zabs has been at he club nine years and it would be a pity if a loyal player like him does not get a testimonial game , for that reason alone i would like Zabs to get a one year extension , or maybe the club could bend the rule and give him a testimonial before he leaves , sentimental shite possibly but not many modern day football players stick with a club this long, not forgetting he joined the club with a few others before the money came rolling in , he didnt sign for the dosh.

Guardiola has already said that Zaba wasn't 100% fit, it was fairly widely reported that he picked up a thigh strain on international duty. I'd suggest he was on the bench for emergencies only and we're trying to insure we have at least 1 fit right back for the run in seeing as Sagna has a nasty ankle injury.

As for stifling young talent, would you agree we need a new first choice right back next season?

yes we needed one this year too.

yes we needed one this year too.
So when does Maffeo get his game time if we sign a new first choice and keep Zaba? League Cup? Zaba will want the game time.
FA Cup? See above.
Injury/suspension to first choice? Won't have the experience to play so it's Zaba again.

So when does Maffeo get his game time if we sign a new first choice and keep Zaba? League Cup? Zaba will want the game time.
FA Cup? See above.
Injury/suspension to first choice? Won't have the experience to play so it's Zaba again.

Maffeo should have got his game time.this year and honestly I ain't holding my breath he will get much if we buy anew young/similar aged RB for next season.

If Zab wants to go fair enough, but again I am on about at least one old head who can show the young ones and new recruits what it means to be part of this club and for me zab epitomises that more than any other player.

Maffeo should have got his game time.this year and honestly I ain't holding my breath he will get much if we buy anew young/sikilar aged RB for next season.
As I said, Guardiola has already stated that he couldn't give Maffeo enough game time with both Zaba and Sagna at the club. He's right as well, you can't freeze out a popular senior pro without causing problems in the dressing room. You're suggesting that we continue dragging out that problem.
If Zab wants to go fair enough, but again I am on about at least one old head who can show the young ones and new recruits what it means to be part of this club and for me zab
Unfortunately we're not in a position to let him do that, unless he wants to take up a coaching role. We need full backs on both sides who can hit the ground running and understudies who can learn improve and put pressure on them for their places, Zab does neither for us. Plus, he's still good enough to play on a few more years abroad or for a lower club in the Prem, he probably sees that as a better option than playing a handful of games against weak opposition here and being a bystander for the major ones.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.